ISCSI Support

1 hour ago, Impulse1337 said:

https://thesolving.com/storage/how-to-create-an-iscsi-target-with-freenas/

If you want, i can dedicate some time help testing etc.

EDIT: If i can read correctly, is seems to be based on a dedicated disk, of a "file" that is the target. So, if that is correct, we could do the same on unraid, use a "file" as the target, which is on the array. 

Or do i see this too easy?

This is how everyone does it: allocate an image file and present it to the iscsi initiator (the client).

I would suggest though to allocate it on the cache, if available, because its usage will be exactly the same as VM's vdisks so performance will suffer if allocated on the array.

Configuration on the iscsi target side (unraid in this case) is pretty straightforward. Each iscsi volume (image file) needs the volume path, authentication details (optional, e.g. CHAP2 username/password) and a couple of other (optional) options.

52 minutes ago, Ioannis said:

This is how everyone does it: allocate an image file and present it to the iscsi initiator (the client).

I would suggest though to allocate it on the cache, if available, because its usage will be exactly the same as VM's vdisks so performance will suffer if allocated on the array.

Configuration on the iscsi target side (unraid in this case) is pretty straightforward. Each iscsi volume (image file) needs the volume path, authentication details (optional, e.g. CHAP2 username/password) and a couple of other (optional) options.

The only thing i am unsure of, is if it is possible to let it expend automatically. If not, is it going to be a hassle to expand it after the file is being used.. But maybe that is too early to think about. I think the first step would be to implement it first :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/20/2019 at 4:42 PM, limetech said:

We have multiple-pool support coming in 6.9 release.  After that we can look at adding a UI to create vdisks that map to iscsi targets.

Please do me a favor however: please move any non-Unraid discussion to another forum.

Is there a rough idea on timeline/release date for this? I'm currently in the process of planning for new hardware, and I'd ideally love to run Unraid on a dedicated host with iSCSI Target support for my hypervisors.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 8:42 AM, limetech said:

We have multiple-pool support coming in 6.9 release.  After that we can look at adding a UI to create vdisks that map to iscsi targets.

Please do me a favor however: please move any non-Unraid discussion to another forum.

Did iSCSI make it into the new 6.9 beta release, or will it hopefully make it's way into the RC? :D

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

+1 for iSCSI support. My reasoning is I prefer using iSCSI for NAS being presented to OS as local drive, especially performance wise. I've been using this for years and it's been very reliable. Like some have mentioned, I don't want to have a VM in unRAID for the sole purpose of using iSCSI. It's not a deal breaker for me, but, as a user new to unRAID, it forces me to reevaluate my storage situation. For example, right now, I have 3 NAS that are going to have to be consolidated into the array due to no iSCSI.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:15 AM, connorcharless said:

Is there a rough idea on timeline/release date for this? I'm currently in the process of planning for new hardware, and I'd ideally love to run Unraid on a dedicated host with iSCSI Target support for my hypervisors.

Seconding this.

I am planning a new whitebox NAS build and hoping to use Unraid.  A bunch of large spinning disks for CIFS/SMB storage.

Having a few SSDs in there for an iSCSI VMFS datastore for my other hypervisor (ESXi) nodes would be awesome.

I'm currently searching for some users that help test my custom build with iSCSI built into Unraid (v6.9.0 beta25).

EDIT: Also made a build for Unraid v6.8.3.

Currently the creation of the iSCSI target is command line only (will write a plugin for that but for now it should also work this way - only a few commands in targetcli).

The configuration is stored on the boot drive and loaded/unloaded with the array start/stop.

If somebody is willing to test the build please contact me. ;)

As always I will release the complete source code and also implement it in my 'Unraid-Kernel-Helper Docker Container' so that everyone can build his own version with other features like nVdidia, ZFS, DVB also built in.

Bildschirmfoto_2020-07-29_23-04-46.png.a0f222bb1b04bd32f1389702d6521565.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Impulse1337 said:

if it's free of data-loss, i can test it.

Don't think there will be any data lost since i've only add the necessary kernel modules and also the necessary software.

Only built a 6.9.0beta25

Have to build the 6.8.3 version tomorrow, it's getting late...

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Don't think there will be any data lost since i've only add the necessary kernel modules and also the necessary software.

Only built a 6.9.0beta25

Have to build the 6.8.3 version tomorrow, it's getting late...

Here as well, same timezone for us. Give me PM when you got something ;-)