unRAID Server Release 6.0-rc3-x86_64 Available

Loaded -rc2 ... fixed my "VM problem" but there are some oddities. On first load of the VM Manager screen it actually still said I didn't have VM capabilities. An F5 refresh of the page "fixed" the problem. So I enabled VM's and when looking through the new VM tab. When done I disabled VM's and the page refreshed to tell me my system did not support VM. Another refresh and all is right again.

The "check" that is being done is not robust it would seem. Log attached. You can see both times that I opened the settings page, 8:39 and again at 8:45. First it says no hardware support and then it shows "Nested..." and in between you can see where I started and stopped libvirtd between those.

syslog.zip

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which key file should I use with rc1? I received a replacement Pro key a few weeks back from Tom, can/should I use that?

The key file is tied to a particular USB stick, so you need to use the one that corresponds to the USB stick you intend to use.  This is true of all unRAID versions - not just the current rc1.

I'm using the same USB stick as with 5.x, but obviously have to format it. Will the old key work?

There is no need to format an usb stick..

I'm using the same USB stick as with 5.x, but obviously have to format it. Will the old key work?

In my case it was required, as my 5.x installation was hosed by a plugin, again :(

In my case it was required, as my 5.x installation was hosed by a plugin, again :(

It's unlikely a plugin problem cannot be solved by simply deleting the plugin. unRAID unpacks a completely fresh OS each time you boot.

Loaded -rc2 ... fixed my "VM problem" but there are some oddities. On first load of the VM Manager screen it actually still said I didn't have VM capabilities. An F5 refresh of the page "fixed" the problem. So I enabled VM's and when looking through the new VM tab. When done I disabled VM's and the page refreshed to tell me my system did not support VM. Another refresh and all is right again.

The "check" that is being done is not robust it would seem. Log attached. You can see both times that I opened the settings page, 8:39 and again at 8:45. First it says no hardware support and then it shows "Nested..." and in between you can see where I started and stopped libvirtd between those.

Did you try refreshing your browser's cache? Not just F5.

It's unlikely a plugin problem cannot be solved by simply deleting the plugin. unRAID unpacks a completely fresh OS each time you boot.

Link in my earlier post to the issue I had, this was the second time. But this is not the place for this discussion, and I'm moving on, so a moot point.

Upgraded from b15 to rc2 directly. Had some oddities of dockers not connecting to Internet first time. Had to change docker from host to bridge, start and back to docker/vice-versa and everything is good now. Win 8.1vm running good so far. I am hoping the see stability without emhttp connection issues I was seeing with b15. Thank you!

Jonp,

Where is the guide for moving from Xen to KVM with a NIC pass through?

I'm stuck at 6b15 until that one is solved...

The xen to kvm migration guide is in the manual in my signature.  NIC pass through is in a sticky post in the KVM sub forum.

Did you try refreshing your browser's cache? Not just F5.

Its not the browser cache. I can go back and forth between the two states by enabling and disabling VM in VM-Settings. Each time the first re-load of the VM-Setting page says my system doesn't support with a corresponding log entry stating no hardware support. A reload of the page (F5 or re-navigate) then shows my system supports. In the log you can see three back to back lines related. The first says no support, the next two show that there is support. But the webpage need to be refreshed to actually show it. At this point it isn't a real functionality issue like I reported in -rc1, now it is more cosmetic / confusing if a used is made to think they just lost VM support.

May 17 10:03:01 Tower php: /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt start
May 17 10:03:01 Tower php: Starting libvirtd...
May 17 10:03:02 Tower dnsmasq[5781]: read /etc/hosts - 1 addresses
May 17 10:03:02 Tower dnsmasq[5781]: read /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.addnhosts - 0 addresses
May 17 10:03:02 Tower dnsmasq-dhcp[5781]: read /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.hostsfile
May 17 10:03:07 Tower php: /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt stop
May 17 10:03:07 Tower php: Waiting machines
May 17 10:03:07 Tower php: Stopping libvirtd...
May 17 10:03:07 Tower php: 
May 17 10:03:10 Tower kernel: kvm: no hardware support
May 17 10:03:10 Tower kernel: kvm: Nested Virtualization enabled
May 17 10:03:10 Tower kernel: kvm: Nested Paging enabled

EDITED: for clarity and to add log.

Edit2: it is literally happening on the automatic page reload after hitting apply to turn off VM manager in the settings page. An f5 refresh then makes it all OK. This is in FF38.0.5 but I really doubt that has anything to do with it.

Upgraded to RC2 from 5.x, which went without a hitch following the 6.0 upgrade guide on the forum! Even my Linux desktop's automount commands in FSTAB worked after I finalized setting up the array.

My Pro key that I used with 5.x and copied to 6.0 RC2 config dir also worked.

Very user-friendly and relatively simple setup, thank you for the team and the community!

Confirmed, changed my plex network from host to bridge, then bridge to host and now my port is forwarded.... @LT let me know if you need any further information (syslogs etc) from me.

Upgraded to rc-2 and the docker Plex port forwarding issue is gone. Everything else seems to be solid. Thanks for the super fast turn around on the rc's!

No rc2 thread?  :o

Yeah - I wondered about that.  I'm especially curious to know if anyone else has tried the RC (1 or 2) as a VMware ESXi guest.  A responder in reply #11 in this thread had issues.  I'm wondering if that was addressed.

Thanks.

John

Yeah - I wondered about that.  I'm especially curious to know if anyone else has tried the RC (1 or 2) as a VMware ESXi guest.  A responder in reply #11 in this thread had issues.  I'm wondering if that was addressed.

Thanks.

John

i have my unRAID(v6b15) as Esxi quest, but wont upgrade until new version of vmware tools plugin will be there..

Sigh.... Was expecting to see something to offset the hit of "* Xen: has been dropped.  Please migrate your Xen VM's to KVM." Sadly seems like there is nothing in rc1 for me.... I Guess ill be staying with 6.0-beta15 untill i get around to changing all of my VMs over :-( .

Sigh.... Was expecting to see something to offset the hit of "* Xen: has been dropped.  Please migrate your Xen VM's to KVM." Sadly seems like there is nothing in rc1 for me.... I Guess ill be staying with 6.0-beta15 untill i get around to changing all of my VMs over :-( .

Jonp has put together a wiki on how to convert existing Xen VMs to KVM here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6

I converted mine to KVM, but I created them from scratch because I was more comfortable doing that.  If you use a SSD drive for your VMs, it really doesn't take long since the .iso images and the VM are on disk and are faster than a CD or DVD drive.  You can set up multiple VMs at the same time.

Thanks.

John

I've got the same issue with the logs reporting USB resets since upgrading to rc2 however have not noticed any performance issues. It seems to give the error every 30-40 seconds.  I've not got anything running from the flash drive so can't comment on access/read times from that.  I'm currently running without any plugins/dockers as I had issues getting docker to work before the upgrade.  Interestingly the upgrade from a previous beta (think it was 15) to rc2 has cured the docker issue I had (my list of template containers was blank despite having several template repositories present on the main docker page).  I'm running ESXi 5.5 so it is not only 6 that is affected by the usb resets.  I'm also running two unRAID VM's from the same ESXi instance with the other being on 5.0.5 which has no issues.

I've got the same issue with the logs reporting USB resets since upgrading to rc2 however have not noticed any performance issues. It seems to give the error every 30-40 seconds. ... I'm running ESXi 5.5 so it is not only 6 that is affected by the usb resets.

Thanks for the input.  I recently upgraded from 5.0.5 to 6-Beta15 running as a guest OS on ESXi 5.5.  I use PLOP to boot from the USB, but I don't think there is much activity on the USB after that, but ideally LT can identify the new issue and resolve it.  I think I'll hold tight at Beta 15 for now.

John

I have a feeling only reason for quick rc2 was the 5 drive back to 24 because people with the lower license it would appear everything was gone. That caused a lot of panick.

RC1 and RC2 released on the same day ??

... seems the release might have been a bit pre-mature  :)

I was getting ready to update to RC1, but I think I'll wait until the same RC # has been out for at least 2-3 days ...

... I have a feeling only reason for quick rc2 was the 5 drive back to 24

The release notes also show fixes to VM Manager and a slack update.  One would think the 5-slot issue would have been easily caught in internal testing.    I know there was a lot of pressure to "get RC1 out" ... but when it's got enough issues that RC2 follows in less than 24 hours it seems a bit more testing would have been prudent.

- emhttp: restore default number of array slots to 24 (from 5 introduced in -rc1)

- slack: add package: patch version 2.7.4

- webGui: expunge all Xen "hooks"

- webGui: VM Manager bug fixes (refer to commit history on github)