unRAID Server Release 6.0-rc3-x86_64 Available

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I accepted the update to rc3, received the instruction to reboot and now I get a kernel panic after loading bzimage and bzroot - as in the attached image.

I guess that I'm going to have to open the box to get the usb out and investigate from there ...

Okay, system coming up now.  Turns out that the usb flash was full - shouldn't the upgrade procedure protect against this and/or issue a warning rather than simply saying 'reboot required'?

That's a bug, please post on Defects board.

[apcupsd note for -rc3]

Upon booting -rc3, apcupsd will be "Off".  If using apcupsd, please turn back "On" and Apply Settings.  This is due to change in where settings file is stored.

Users have found that you also have to change a setting (and change it back), to make it stick.

I am sure I am going to get a frowny face from LT for not being constructive, but does this seem like something that should be changing as part of a RC process?

It's bad enough we need 3 RCs inside of 5 days due to issues presented, plus the fact that all RCs get lumped together instead of providing new threads to each RC (which of course would highlight that we needed 3 RCs inside of 5 days),  now there are random changes like this introduced that many users will only find out after it's happened.

Ahh, the LT concept of "dev cycle" Always interesting, and never predictable. Exactly how development is supposed to be.

And yes, I know I am going to get a "Please refrain from posting these kinds of remarks" from LT. But seriously...

it's a duplicate of /make_bootable_mac.sh

root@Unraid-Nas:/boot# cat make_bootable_mac
#!/bin/bash

################################################################################
#      This file is part of makebootable_mac used for the creation
#	   of a bootable USB thumb drive that unRAID can be run from
#      Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Kyle Hiltner ([email protected])
#      Copyright (C) 2013 Lime Technology
#
#  This Program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
#  any later version.
#
#  This Program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
################################################################################

VERSION="v1.1"

echo "INFO: make_bootable_mac $VERSION"
echo ""

DISTRO=$(uname -s)
if [ $DISTRO != "Darwin" ]; then
echo ""
echo "FAIL: This script is only for Mac OS X systems, aborting!"
echo ""
exit 1
fi

if [ $(diskutil list | grep UNRAID | wc -l) == 1 ]; then
echo "INFO: The following drive appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive: "
diskutil list | grep UNRAID | awk '{print "/dev/"$6}' | awk '{split($0,a,"s"); print a[1]"s"a[2]}';diskutil list | grep UNRAID | awk '{print " "$3" " $4$5}'
TARGET=$(diskutil list | grep UNRAID | awk '{print "/dev/"$6}' | awk '{split($0,a,"s"); print a[1]"s"a[2]}')
echo ""
else
echo "INFO: There appears to be no drive present with the label UNRAID"
echo "Exiting since there is not a drive labeled UNRAID"
echo ""
exit 1
fi

mkdir -p /tmp/UNRAID/syslinux ; cp -rp /Volumes/UNRAID/syslinux/* /tmp/UNRAID/syslinux

echo -n "To continue please enter your admin "
sudo /tmp/UNRAID/syslinux/make_bootable_mac.sh $TARGET
root@Unraid-Nas:/boot# cd syslinux
root@Unraid-Nas:/boot/syslinux#
root@Unraid-Nas:/boot/syslinux# ls
ldlinux.c32*  libcom32.c32*  libutil.c32*  make_bootable_mac.sh*  mboot.c32*  mbr.bin*  menu.c32*  syslinux*  syslinux.cfg*  syslinux.cfg-*  syslinux.exe*
root@Unraid-Nas:/boot/syslinux# cat make_bootable_mac.sh
#!/bin/bash

#
#  any later version.
#

VERBOSE="TRUE" # set to TRUE to put this script in debug mode
TARGET=$1

if [ "${VERBOSE}" = "TRUE" ]; then
    exec 3>&1
    exec 4>&2
else
    exec 3> /dev/null
    exec 4> /dev/null
fi

unmount_target(){
    MOUNTED=$(mount | grep ${TARGET})
    if [ ! -z "${MOUNTED}" ]; then
       	echo "INFO: Unmounting ${TARGET}"
sleep 2
    diskutil unmountDisk force ${TARGET} 1>&3 2>&4
    fi
}

mount_target(){
    if [ -z "${MOUNTED}" ]; then
        echo "INFO: Mounting ${TARGET}"
sleep 2
diskutil mountDisk ${TARGET} 1>&3 2>&4
    fi
}

unmount_target
echo "INFO: Writing MBR on $TARGET"
dd if=/tmp/UNRAID/syslinux/mbr.bin of=${TARGET} 1>&3 2>&4
mount_target
/tmp/UNRAID/syslinux/syslinux -f --install ${TARGET}s1 1>&3 2>&4

echo ""
echo "INFO: the unRAID USB Flash drive is now bootable and may be ejected."
echo ""

exit 0

it's a duplicate of /make_bootable_mac.sh

root@Unraid-Nas:/boot# cat make_bootable_mac
#!/bin/bash

#
#  any later version.
#

VERSION="v1.1"

echo "INFO: make_bootable_mac $VERSION"
echo ""

DISTRO=$(uname -s)
if [ $DISTRO != "Darwin" ]; then
echo ""
echo "FAIL: This script is only for Mac OS X systems, aborting!"
echo ""
exit 1
fi

if [ $(diskutil list | grep UNRAID | wc -l) == 1 ]; then
echo "INFO: The following drive appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive: "
diskutil list | grep UNRAID | awk '{print "/dev/"$6}' | awk '{split($0,a,"s"); print a[1]"s"a[2]}';diskutil list | grep UNRAID | awk '{print " "$3" " $4$5}'
TARGET=$(diskutil list | grep UNRAID | awk '{print "/dev/"$6}' | awk '{split($0,a,"s"); print a[1]"s"a[2]}')
echo ""
else
echo "INFO: There appears to be no drive present with the label UNRAID"
echo "Exiting since there is not a drive labeled UNRAID"
echo ""
exit 1
fi

mkdir -p /tmp/UNRAID/syslinux ; cp -rp /Volumes/UNRAID/syslinux/* /tmp/UNRAID/syslinux

echo -n "To continue please enter your admin "
sudo /tmp/UNRAID/syslinux/make_bootable_mac.sh $TARGET
root@Unraid-Nas:/boot# cd syslinux
root@Unraid-Nas:/boot/syslinux# ls
ldlinux.c32*  libcom32.c32*  libutil.c32*  make_bootable_mac.sh*  mboot.c32*  mbr.bin*  menu.c32*  syslinux*  syslinux.cfg*  syslinux.cfg-*  syslinux.exe*
root@Unraid-Nas:/boot/syslinux# cat make_bootable_mac.sh
#!/bin/bash

#
#  any later version.
#

VERBOSE="TRUE" # set to TRUE to put this script in debug mode
TARGET=$1

if [ "${VERBOSE}" = "TRUE" ]; then
    exec 3>&1
    exec 4>&2
else
    exec 3> /dev/null
    exec 4> /dev/null
fi

unmount_target(){
    if [ ! -z "${MOUNTED}" ]; then
       	echo "INFO: Unmounting ${TARGET}"
sleep 2
    diskutil unmountDisk force ${TARGET} 1>&3 2>&4
    fi
}

mount_target(){
    if [ -z "${MOUNTED}" ]; then
        echo "INFO: Mounting ${TARGET}"
sleep 2
diskutil mountDisk ${TARGET} 1>&3 2>&4
    fi
}

unmount_target
echo "INFO: Writing MBR on $TARGET"
dd if=/tmp/UNRAID/syslinux/mbr.bin of=${TARGET} 1>&3 2>&4
mount_target
/tmp/UNRAID/syslinux/syslinux -f --install ${TARGET}s1 1>&3 2>&4

echo ""
echo "INFO: the unRAID USB Flash drive is now bootable and may be ejected."
echo ""

exit 0

nevermind... :(

Perhaps,  a note should be added to the release notes indicating that you have to re-setup the UPS settings, changing at least one parameter and 'Apply' if you are upgrading.

Why?  No one seems to read them anyway.

To be fair, every release before RC had it's own thread, and I think people read them. You guys introduced RC2 into this existing thread and at least at first there were no updates notes in the original release notes for RC2. You've decided to randomly change how you've done things after 15 betas and all the version 5 betas/RCs were one way and are annoyed that not everyone has caught onto it.

Who's really to blame?

Perhaps,  a note should be added to the release notes indicating that you have to re-setup the UPS settings, changing at least one parameter and 'Apply' if you are upgrading.

Why?  No one seems to read them anyway.

I would recommend creating a new thread for each of the rc's.

People are not used to resorting to the first post to see the changes.

Those who enable notify on the forum itself also miss the fact that a new rc has come out.

Even with notify on the single rc thread, you miss that the first post was updated.

It is not the usual way it has been done in the past, you can't fault people for missing this.

[apcupsd note for -rc3]

Upon booting -rc3, apcupsd will be "Off".  If using apcupsd, please turn back "On" and Apply Settings.  This is due to change in where settings file is stored.

Users have found that you also have to change a setting (and change it back), to make it stick.

I am sure I am going to get a frowny face from LT for not being constructive, but does this seem like something that should be changing as part of a RC process?

It's bad enough we need 3 RCs inside of 5 days due to issues presented, plus the fact that all RCs get lumped together instead of providing new threads to each RC (which of course would highlight that we needed 3 RCs inside of 5 days),  now there are random changes like this introduced that many users will only find out after it's happened.

Ahh, the LT concept of "dev cycle" Always interesting, and never predictable. Exactly how development is supposed to be.

And yes, I know I am going to get a "Please refrain from posting these kinds of remarks" from LT. But seriously...

Here you go:  >:(

We are trying to follow a similar releaes process as the linux kernel.  What they call "linux-next" is our "betas".  The transition to "-rc" means simply: "no new features, bug fixes only."  At some point -rc becomes "stable".  I will also point out: we have no problem updating an entire package to address a bug (within reason), and we view the linux kernel as just another package.

Updated to RC3. APCUPSD doesn't autostart now. I've checked the settings and applied them, and then it runs. After a reboot though, it doesn't autostart. I confirmed that the dynamix.apcupsd folder and dynamix.apcupsd.cfg file is there on the flash drive. Syslog attached.

Gary

CONFIRMED!  I have found the same thing.  I had to first stop the UPS daemon and restart it to bring the UPS online.

EDIT: I upgrade to rc3 from rc2.  I am not sure what happens if one installs rc3 on a new flash drive.

You didn't read it either.

To be fair, I DIDN'T read the first post in the thread.  But this is the basic reason, when I get a notification that a new post has been made to this thread, clicking on the link in the e-mail, takes me to the LAST post that I have read. 

Now, rc3 was issued without any notification in a normal post in the thread from LimeTech.  So the first I knew that there was a new rc release is when I saw the post from a user about his experiences with rc3.  So why should I jump back to the first post in a thread that is now 16 pages long and only the last 3 pages have any relevance to the current release?

Updated to RC3. APCUPSD doesn't autostart now. I've checked the settings and applied them, and then it runs. After a reboot though, it doesn't autostart. I confirmed that the dynamix.apcupsd folder and dynamix.apcupsd.cfg file is there on the flash drive. Syslog attached.

Gary

CONFIRMED!  I have found the same thing.  I had to first stop the UPS daemon and restart it to bring the UPS online.

EDIT: I upgrade to rc3 from rc2.  I am not sure what happens if one installs rc3 on a new flash drive.

To be fair, I DIDN'T read the first post in the thread.  But this is the basic reason, when I get a notification that a new post has been made to this thread, clicking on the link in the e-mail, takes me to the LAST post that I have read. 

Now, rc3 was issued without any notification in a normal post in the thread from LimeTech.  So the first I knew that there was a new rc release is when I saw the post from a user about his experiences with rc3.  So why should I jump back to the first post in a thread that is now 16 pages long and only the last 3 pages have any relevance to the current release?

Yeah I get it, sorry, took down my comments.

Gary

Yeah I get it, sorry, took down my comments.

If you really want to consolidate threads and keep it all self contained, you can add the news of release to the current thread with a link back to the release notice on the first post of the thread.

Updated to rc3 without any issues.

2. I did not receive a plugin update notification for rc3 or any new plugins for that matter, only using the agents for plugin notifications but it was working with rc15. Sending a test through agents works and gets received on my phone.

Update, just received an notification for a 3rd party plugin update (I changed the settings to check 4 times a day) so either it's was fixed with rc3 or perhaps the daily plugin update took place before rc3 was officially released meaning I wouldn't have gotten an update until tomorrow morning. Either way seems to be resolved (or a non-issue in the first place  ::)) for me...

Update, just received an notification for a 3rd party plugin update (I changed the settings to check 4 times a day) so either it's was fixed with rc3 or perhaps the daily plugin update took place before rc3 was officially released meaning I wouldn't have gotten an update until tomorrow morning. Either way seems to be resolved (or a non-issue in the first place  ::)) for me...

The checking is done on fixed (local) times. This means that updates are not immediately announced when they become available. Also when github is unreachable there won't be any checks.

Btw. No changes were made in this part between rc1 releases.

updated to RC3. Now getting some errors toward the end of the boot process showing on the console screen.

cpuload started

xz: (stdin): File format not recognized

chmod: cannot access '/usr/local/sbin/readvs': no such file or directory

I assume this is UPS daemon related because on first boot I went in and started the UPS daemon. Seeing the console errors, I rebooted again to see if that cleared them up. Once UR loaded, UPS daemon was again STOPPED and same error on console.

syslog attached tho I don't see anything in there.

syslog.zip

updated to RC3. Now getting some errors toward the end of the boot process showing on the console screen.

cpuload started

I assume this is UPS daemon related because on first boot I went in and started the UPS daemon. Seeing the console errors, I rebooted again to see if that cleared them up. Once UR loaded, UPS daemon was again STOPPED and same error on console.

There is a missing executable attribute on the script which reads the stored settings and initiates the UPS daemon upon system startup. Workaround for the moment is a manual start from the apcupsd settings page.

cpuload started

There is a missing executable attribute on the script which reads the stored settings and initiates the UPS daemon upon system startup. Workaround for the moment is a manual start from the apcupsd settings page.

We'll fix that in -rc4.

cpuload started

Are you saying that it will never autostart? Is it this one?
root@unSERVER:/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.apcupsd/event# v
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1123 May 19 10:26 driver_loaded

total 4

Indeed there is no autostart because /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.apcupsd/event/driver_loaded can not run (but fixed in -rc4)

total 4

Indeed there is no autostart because /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.apcupsd/event/driver_loaded can not run (but fixed in -rc4)

So we could
chmod 744 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.apcupsd/event/driver_loaded

in go while we wait for rc4?

total 4

So we could
chmod 744 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.apcupsd/event/driver_loaded

in go while we wait for rc4?

Very smart  :) :) (make sure this line is before emhttp starts)