unRAID Server Release 6.0-rc3-x86_64 Available

Experienced a hard reboot last night, woke to an e-mail that a parity check started (also some SMART e-mails, uptime is in agreement).

Was solid prior with beta 15, upgraded from 15 to RC3.

Could certainly be a plugin or docker (if that is possible), however other than safe mode (process of elimination), is there a way I can log this in order to troubleshoot?

It is my assumption that the system log is gone after a reboot, so no way for me to see what caused it.

Do you have dlandon's Powerdown plugin installed?  If you do, look in the root of your flash drive for a folder named 'logs'.  Powerdown writes a syslog there when it is shutting down the server.  While the chances might be small, it is worth a shot. 

If it is not there, I would suggest that you start a thread in the General Support area for version 6.  Your issue may take a while to resolve.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experienced a hard reboot last night, woke to an e-mail that a parity check started (also some SMART e-mails, uptime is in agreement).

Could certainly be a plugin or docker (if that is possible), however other than safe mode (process of elimination), is there a way I can log this in order to troubleshoot?

It is my assumption that the system log is gone after a reboot, so no way for me to see what caused it.

Do you have dlandon's Powerdown plugin installed?  If you do, look in the root of your flash drive for a folder named 'logs'.  Powerdown writes a syslog there when it is shutting down the server.  While the chances might be small, it is worth a shot. 

If it is not there, I would suggest that you start a thread in the General Support area for version 6.  Your issue may take a while to resolve.

Thank you, and in fact I do have that plugin.

I'll take a look and see if I can find anything there.

Edit: grabbed it, attached.

Maybe this part?

May 21 13:50:46 Server ntpd[1735]: ntpd exiting on signal 1 (Hangup)
May 21 13:50:46 Server logger: Stopping NTP daemon...
May 21 13:50:46 Server emhttp: shcmd (230515): /sbin/reboot
May 21 13:50:46 Server shutdown[304]: shutting down for system reboot

Edit2: I think this log is from earlier in the day (the time is too early), not late last night. I had rebooted to update to RC3 during this time, I don't think this log is helpful..  :-[

syslog-20150521-135048.zip

Thank you, and in fact I do have that plugin.

I'll take a look and see if I can find anything there.

Edit: grabbed it, attached.

Maybe this part?

May 21 13:50:46 Server ntpd[1735]: ntpd exiting on signal 1 (Hangup)
May 21 13:50:46 Server logger: Stopping NTP daemon...
May 21 13:50:46 Server emhttp: shcmd (230515): /sbin/reboot
May 21 13:50:46 Server shutdown[304]: shutting down for system reboot

Edit2: I think this log is from earlier in the day (the time is too early), not late last night. I had rebooted to update to RC3 during this time, I don't think this log is helpful..  :-[

Quick look at your Syslog and comparing the tail end of it to one of mine, yours was a normal shutdown/reboot.  So something else must have happened. Did you have a power cut since you upgraded?  Do you have a ups on the server?  Does your server autostart when the power comes up on the server's power supply? 

I will point out that I have not seen a lot of reports of spontaneous reboots of unRAID servers that were not hardware related. 

Like I said, you might be better served is you got your own thread started.  Troubleshooting problems in this thread is very difficult for anyone who is trying to help you.  Be sure to include a complete list of your hardware and any plugins and docker containers that you are using. 

Quick look at your Syslog and comparing the tail end of it to one of mine, yours was a normal shutdown/reboot.  So something else must have happened. Did you have a power cut since you upgraded?  Do you have a ups on the server?  Does your server autostart when the power comes up on the server's power supply? 

I will point out that I have not seen a lot of reports of spontaneous reboots of unRAID servers that were not hardware related. 

Like I said, you might be better served is you got your own thread started.  Troubleshooting problems in this thread is very difficult for anyone who is trying to help you.  Be sure to include a complete list of your hardware and any plugins and docker containers that you are using.

Understand, and thanks for comparing!

As for power, it shouldn't be the case here. The server is set to stay off in case of a power loss, and it is plugged in to a UPS without any connection for usage of the UPS plugin at this moment.

There was no power loss at the house last night that was evident on clocks, etc...

At the time I had the UnBalance docker moving a bunch of data from one drive to another (so not exactly a great time for a hard reboot!).

I had just recently gotten this message the other day after adding UnBalance and setting a weekly cron job to backup my dockers from cache to array, however I don't think it is related to this, however it is something I should certainly fix.

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of reload.

I'm going to see if for some reason it was just a fluke and monitor it. If it continues I will definitely start troubleshooting/my own thread.

I upgraded to RC3.  Everything went smooth except I no longer have a Docker tab.  Docker was enabled.  I disabled and re-enabled, but that didn't help.  Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

It seems that my docker.img file disappeared upon reboot after upgrade.  I don't know why.  I reset and recreated the image file and all my dockers.  Seems to be working now.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Finally Upgrade Complete!

-First it EXPLODED my XEN images

-Reinstalled all images under KVM

-took an hour to figure out the static ip address problem!

-added a new drive to the cache, which formatted my current cache

-Reinstalled all images AGAIN

- BEER !!!!!! (I need to dust that baby)

1PpaeNf.jpg

I updated from 6.0 beta15 trial to Release 6.0-rc3 today and i wanted to use the trial until next month but it said that there are too many devices when in fact only had one disk installed (exluding flash).

I tried to restart and now it says the trial is expired.

so i'm stuck with a OS that won't start because it thinks i have more disks than i have and says my trial is expired.

please help.

Screenshot_3.png.058a58653eb75f8b513f28ed9cfe3f02.png

I've noticed that, since I installed rc3, I've not received any UPS notifications.  How do I re-enable them?

Please see this.

I can assure you that apcupsd is running - proven through at least ten power outages since I installed rc3.  However, apcupsd is no longer generating any notifications - web or email.  Other notifications are still appearing - for instance I started a parity check and that was notified both to web and email.

I've noticed that, since I installed rc3, I've not received any UPS notifications.  How do I re-enable them?

Please see this.

I can assure you that apcupsd is running - proven through at least ten power outages since I installed rc3.  However, apcupsd is no longer generating any notifications - web or email.  Other notifications are still appearing - for instance I started a parity check and that was notified both to web and email.

Yeah notifications are broken in rc3, this is fixed for the upcoming version.

Yeah notifications are broken in rc3, this is fixed for the upcoming version.

Ah, okay.  That's what I needed to know.  Thanks.

WOW !!  Remind me to never move to the Philippines !!  :)

I've been there a couple times (MANY years ago) ... but certainly don't remember the power being that poor.

I was about to post to say that I'd lost count - three or four power outages in the morning, when the power went off again!  Then there was one more cut this evening, so that makes five (or six?) in one day.

WOW !!  Remind me to never move to the Philippines !!  :)

I've been there a couple times (MANY years ago) ... but certainly don't remember the power being that poor.

I was about to post to say that I'd lost count - three or four power outages in the morning, when the power went off again!  Then there was one more cut this evening, so that makes five (or six?) in one day.

At least the weather is good right?  ;)

Does anyone know why the VM page in the webgui will not start? When I start my server there is no tab for the VMs.

Also libvirt does not start and I have to start it manually with /etc/rc.d/libvirt start. Once I do this, I get the VMs tab but when I open it, it is blank see attachment.

Also this seems to crash the dashboard, this page could be viewed before libvirt was started.

My syslog is here http://pastebin.com/EwTLXUyg hopefully someone knows why this is happening. It has been this way since beta12. Its annoying. Thanks

dashboard.jpg.0be11d5ebf3c0434397b9acabb5d4783.jpg

vms.jpg.1e1c00e57399a205f00e76784bbbcf9a.jpg

Does anyone know why the VM page in the webgui will not start? When I start my server there is no tab for the VMs.

Have you enabled VM support under Settings->VM Manager?

Also libvirt does not start and I have to start it manually with /etc/rc.d/libvirt start. Once I do this, I get the VMs tab but when I open it, it is blank see attachment.

I expect this is not started until you have enabled VM support.

Have you enabled VM support under Settings->VM Manager?

I expect this is not started until you have enabled VM support.

I see, unfortunately when I click on the VM Manager under settings the page is also blank..