unRAID Server Release 6.0-rc3-x86_64 Available

WOW !!  Remind me to never move to the Philippines !!  :)

I've been there a couple times (MANY years ago) ... but certainly don't remember the power being that poor.

I was about to post to say that I'd lost count - three or four power outages in the morning, when the power went off again!  Then there was one more cut this evening, so that makes five (or six?) in one day.

Sounds like you need both a good UPS and an auto-start generator  :)

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know why the VM page in the webgui will not start? When I start my server there is no tab for the VMs.

Have you enabled VM support under Settings->VM Manager?

Also libvirt does not start and I have to start it manually with /etc/rc.d/libvirt start. Once I do this, I get the VMs tab but when I open it, it is blank see attachment.

I expect this is not started until you have enabled VM support.

I see, unfortunately when I click on the VM Manager under settings the page is also blank..

Do you still have the kvm manager or virtman plugins installed? If so, you need to uninstall them. But don't delete your folders on your flash drive as the img file is still used to store your xmls.

Do you still have the kvm manager or virtman plugins installed? If so, you need to uninstall them. But don't delete your folders on your flash drive as the img file is still used to store your xmls.

Nope, I remove them. Unless there is some bit of them still hanging around that I missed but I actually did delete all the folders on my flash drive as well since I was not using the img file to store my xmls.

Here is a screenshot of my installed plugins. Shouldn't the VM manager show up here as built in like dynamix?

Tower_Plugins.jpg.046f9e30f204418038bd810183f72f03.jpg

Nope, I remove them. Unless there is some bit of them still hanging around that I missed but I actually did delete all the folders on my flash drive as well since I was not using the img file to store my xmls.

Here is a screenshot of my installed plugins. Shouldn't the VM manager show up here as built in like dynamix?

Be careful, the 'Installed Plugins' page only shows that plugins that were installed by the "Install Plugins' option on the 'Plugins' page!  If you installed any plugins manually or have any remnants of leftover plugins from an earlier version, they are NOT displayed.  Since plugins developers could put their files in several different places, finding them can be a problem.

Download

Clicking 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page is the preferred way to upgrade.

Major highlights of this release:

* We're finally at -rc baby!

* New licensing.  Please refer to this post for more information.

* VM Manager: with special thanks to eschultz and jonp this component is quickly becoming the premiere tool for VM management on any platform.

* We're finally at -rc

* Xen: has been dropped.  Please migrate your Xen VM's to KVM.

* More kernel changes: update to 4.x linux kernel and changed the tick frequency from 100Hz to 1000Hz.  This appears to smooth out video playback and reduce RCU Timeout errors further.  Please report your experiences in these areas.

Again, I want to extend a special Thanks to bonienl for his continued improvements to dynamix.

Keep an eye on this post for further information.

Did I mention we're now at -rc?

Post-release notes:

[fixed in -rc2]

An issue has been reported where, with some configurations, after booting -rc1 the number of array slots is set to 5 and number of cache slots is set to 1, and this is different from what you had before (which was 24 and 1).  The workaround is to set the number of slots manually on the Main page and then everything will be ok.

The problem is that "default" values for number of array and cache slots was 24 and 1.  These valued are stored in a config file but only if you modify them off their default values.  In -rc1 we changed the defaults to 5 and 1 in order to improve the appearance of the Main page for those starting out with Trial.

[apcupsd note for -rc3]

Upon booting -rc3, apcupsd will be "Off".  If using apcupsd, please turn back "On" and Apply Settings.  This is due to change in where settings file is stored.

Changes
=======

Version 6.0-rc3
---------------
- emhttp: fix Maintenance-mode array Start
- emhttp: properly output 'progress' strings echo'ed by emhttp_event scripts
- emhttp: let Pro start regardless of attached device count
- linux: update to 4.0.4 (btrfs fix from 4.0.3, spinlock fix from 4.0.4, btrfs balance patch)
- webGui: VM Manager bug fixes
- webGui: integrated improvements to apcupsd component

Version 6.0-rc2
---------------
- emhttp: restore default number of array slots to 24 (from 5 introduced in -rc1)
- slack: add package: patch version 2.7.4
- webGui: expunge all Xen "hooks"
- webGui: VM Manager bug fixes (refer to commit history on github)

Version 6.0-rc1
---------------
- docker: update to 1.6.2
- webGui: support replacement keys
- webGui: must be Stopped to change Identifcation settings

This is awesome. Thanks unraid!

Are the upgrade (from an already beta V6) the usual? Just copy the bzroot and bzimage files over, then reboot?

Download

Clicking 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page is the preferred way to upgrade.

* VM Manager: with special thanks to eschultz and jonp this component is quickly becoming the premiere tool for VM management on any platform.

* We're finally at -rc

* More kernel changes: update to 4.x linux kernel and changed the tick frequency from 100Hz to 1000Hz.  This appears to smooth out video playback and reduce RCU Timeout errors further.  Please report your experiences in these areas.

Again, I want to extend a special Thanks to bonienl for his continued improvements to dynamix.

Post-release notes:

[fixed in -rc2]

An issue has been reported where, with some configurations, after booting -rc1 the number of array slots is set to 5 and number of cache slots is set to 1, and this is different from what you had before (which was 24 and 1).  The workaround is to set the number of slots manually on the Main page and then everything will be ok.

The problem is that "default" values for number of array and cache slots was 24 and 1.  These valued are stored in a config file but only if you modify them off their default values.  In -rc1 we changed the defaults to 5 and 1 in order to improve the appearance of the Main page for those starting out with Trial.

[apcupsd note for -rc3]

Upon booting -rc3, apcupsd will be "Off".  If using apcupsd, please turn back "On" and Apply Settings.  This is due to change in where settings file is stored.

Changes
=======

Version 6.0-rc3
---------------
- linux: update to 4.0.4 (btrfs fix from 4.0.3, spinlock fix from 4.0.4, btrfs balance patch)

Version 6.0-rc2
---------------
- emhttp: restore default number of array slots to 24 (from 5 introduced in -rc1)

Version 6.0-rc1
---------------

Are the upgrade (from an already beta V6) the usual? Just copy the bzroot and bzimage files over, then reboot?

Just use the ui to update.

At the top of the original announcement post:

Tried to upgrade through the UI and also fresh installs of multiple USB sticks and I keep getting this error: /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID where it's not mounting the USB drive.

I have two HP sticks that work great with beta15 and one Sony stick that also boots beta15. I boot all of them directly off the MB and the system is showing all 32gb of ram.

Any idea why other, older versions would work but the RC version will not mount the USB drive?

Tried to upgrade through the UI and also fresh installs of multiple USB sticks and I keep getting this error: /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID where it's not mounting the USB drive.

I have two HP sticks that work great with beta15 and one Sony stick that also boots beta15. I boot all of them directly off the MB and the system is showing all 32gb of ram.

Any idea why other, older versions would work but the RC version will not mount the USB drive?

Try a different port -> ie: if you're currently plugging into a USB3 port try a USB2 port.

Download

* We're finally at -rc

Post-release notes:

[fixed in -rc2]

[apcupsd note for -rc3]

Changes
=======

Version 6.0-rc3
---------------

Version 6.0-rc2
---------------

Version 6.0-rc1
---------------

Just use the ui to update.

Damn, I keep forgetting there is an update button that I just need to hit. How easy is that! ;)

Be careful, the 'Installed Plugins' page only shows that plugins that were installed by the "Install Plugins' option on the 'Plugins' page!  If you installed any plugins manually or have any remnants of leftover plugins from an earlier version, they are NOT displayed.  Since plugins developers could put their files in several different places, finding them can be a problem.

Right, I suppose there is no good way to track down what may have been installed manually..

Try a different port -> ie: if you're currently plugging into a USB3 port try a USB2 port.

Funny, I read a lot of threads on switching USB ports to solve the problem and most, if not all said to take it out of a USB3 and put in a USB2. I tried all the USB2 ports with no luck and never bothered to try the USB3 ports until you suggested to try a different port. Put it in a USB3 port and it fired right up. Amazing and thank you for the suggestion!

... Put it in a USB3 port and it fired right up. Amazing and thank you for the suggestion!

Check the BIOS for a "USB order" => you may in fact be able to set which port it boots from.    I wouldn't change anything now, since it's working fine; but you may want to know whether or not that's an option.

Right, I suppose there is no good way to track down what may have been installed manually..

See here

Just a note on the internal update. So far each unraid update leaves behind a folder of the previous version on the flash drive, 68MB each. After a couple of updates that will fill up the flash drive on one of the default unraid sold 256MB ones.

Not sure why it leaves more beyond one previous version on the flash, I would rather it delete previous versions instead of filling up my flash and causing a device full error, which would most definitely mess up an update. So keep in mind you might want to manually delete those folders after you have verified the update is working.

Just a note on the internal update. So far each unraid update leaves behind a folder of the previous version on the flash drive, 68MB each. After a couple of updates that will fill up the flash drive on one of the default unraid sold 256MB ones.

Not sure why it leaves more beyond one previous version on the flash, I would rather it delete previous versions instead of filling up my flash and causing a device full error, which would most definitely mess up an update. So keep in mind you might want to manually delete those folders after you have verified the update is working.

Probably because most people are not downloading the individual .zip files for each release in case to use if it should become necessary to rollback to a earlier version for some reason.  By leaving them for the user to make the decision of which ones can be deleted, the user can not 'blame' LimeTech for getting rid of a set of files that are needed to restore the version that the user needs and wants!

Your warning about watching the free space on the Flash Drive is an excellent one.  However, you must have a really old Flash Drive from LimeTech if it is only 256MB.  (I don't believe you can find one that small to purchase anywhere today!)  LimeTech says they are currently using 16Gb devices for their preconfigured Flash Drives. 

Another item to consider is that Dlandon's Powerdown script writes the syslog file to the 'log' folder.  Those logs can be rather large so you might want to be watching how many of those you have 'saved' also.   

A complete aside, you might want to consider purchasing a larger flash drive and use the 'update' the .key file feature of version 6 to match the GUID of that new flash drive.  (I wouldn't think that LimeTech would find that objectionable if your object was to simply upgrade the Flash Drive to provide a reasonable amount of free space on the drive to prevent a future issue.)

Twice the WebGUI has stopped working when stopping a VM.  :(

Dockers are still running happily, and I can still access the shares, but the GUI is broken.

emhttp is sitting at 101% CPU use.

How do I get the syslog for the next time this happens, considering I can't get on the webgui?

Edit: Wow, ANOTHER parity check?  Damn, it only just finished after 24+ hours.  Jeesh, damned drives will be worn out in a week at this rate.

I upgraded from b15 to RC3 shortly after it was released.  I'm (still) having various issues that have persisted since the update.  I was running b6 smoothly since it was released (months of uptime with no issues).  I've been busy so I haven't had time to post, but I'll collect what I can in my other post.  Some symptoms I'm seeing:

- webgui crashes

- btrfs checksum errors in docker.img

- segmentation faults

- at least 2 hard crashes, one of which was a kernel panic

I updated my post linked below for further analysis.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39569.0