My Docker Creation Voyage and other Qs (formerly: Creating templates / Dockers?)

How would one actually go about creating one's own templates / Dockers? I searched the net up and down but can't seam to find any tutorial or guide on this.

The repos offered by the community are great, but I would 1) like to really  understand how these things have been created and 2) have one or two shots in mind that people most likely will not dockerize.

Thanks for now

D.

How would one actually go about creating one's own templates / Dockers? I searched the net up and down but can't seam to find any tutorial or guide on this.

The repos offered by the community are great, but I would 1) like to really  understand how these things have been created and 2) have one or two shots in mind that people most likely will not dockerize.

Thanks for now

D.

I was in your position 3 weeks ago... now I am able to modify dockers and create my own templates.

One critical unRAID plugin to start is Docker Search. With it you can give it a docker repository and it will create the template for you. It is generic, has no instructions, but gets you 90% of the way. Be careful, not all Dockers work well. There is no guarantee they will work. I have had more bad luck, than good luck.

Also if you have something in mind, drop a note here... as scary looking as Sparklyballs is  (I still envision a 2 foot tall version of him living under my bed, and lurking around in his red leotard when I am asleep) he, and a great many others here are awesome at guiding you and advising you with a specific task.

Looking for you to join the Dock society.

I spent a day this past week figuring it all out as well. Best thing to do is look at how others have done it and make it similar. To start, create accounts on both github and the docker site. Then link your docker account to github and go from there.

Thanks for all the great advice :)

So I started tinkering with a flexget docker. It installs and starts *woohoo clap on the back*.

A lot of apps have those pretty web interfaces, which flexget obviously doesn't need. But you can do a bunch of stuff on the commandline. How would I get to that?

Thanks for all the great advice :)

So I started tinkering with a flexget docker. It installs and starts *woohoo clap on the back*.

A lot of apps have those pretty web interfaces, which flexget obviously doesn't need. But you can do a bunch of stuff on the commandline. How would I get to that?

docker exec -it dockername bash

I thought I would add a question here instead of creating a whole new thread.

How are we supposed to trigger updates? I have made a few updates to my dockers but the unraid docker tab never shows updates available. Is there some sort of manual change I need to make in the template to trigger an update notification in unraid?

Also, I updated a docker once and it totally messed it up in that I had to remove it and install it fresh, how does updating work? If the base changes will it redownload the whole thing or is it only supposed to download anything that differs from the previous version?

How are we supposed to trigger updates?

check for updates on the docker page of unraid webui

Also, I updated a docker once and it totally messed it up in that I had to remove it and install it fresh

messed up in what way ? if an update messes up a docker, then that wasn't a very well designed docker.

(hope it wasn't one of mine, lol.)

How are we supposed to trigger updates?

check for updates on the docker page of unraid webui

Lol yes that. But what I am saying is in my own testing, after I have updated one of my dockers, this still shows "up to date" in unraid. My docker has been updated and the new build has been completed, yet unraid doesn't know about any update.

I'm just trying to figure out what triggers it because I have seen an update to a docker on the occasion but it's not showing for mine.

Also, I updated a docker once and it totally messed it up in that I had to remove it and install it fresh

messed up in what way ? if an update messes up a docker, then that wasn't a very well designed docker.

(hope it wasn't one of mine, lol.)

It wouldn't even start. I had to remove it and then re-install it completely. It wasn't one of yours. ;)