Avoid using San Disk Ultra Fit USBs with UNRAID !!!

Just for the heck of it if you have a Mac available or know somebody with one, try formatting the flash on the Mac.

Somewhere in my search early on I found something in a PC forum that Macs did a better job of formatting Fat/Fat32 than the PCs.

Strange but it is worth a shot.

Motherboard is SuperMicro X10SL7-F, BIOS R 3.0. I tried the 32GB flash in the onboard USB 3 Type-A header (on motherboard), a USB 3 case port (via MB header), a USB 2 case port (via MB header), and the USB 2 ports on the backpanel of the MB. Tried all these ports with the SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB formatted as FAT32 on a Mac Airbook, also tried formatting FAT32 with Ubuntu LTS 14.04.  All with same results.

/dev/disk search by label failing

Unable to access Unraid GUI

Then copied the files from the 32GB drive to a 16GB SanDisk Ultra Fit. OS boots and runs.

It maybe specific to the  SuperMicro X10SL7-F running BIOS R 3.0, but there is something definitely wrong with the SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB. (Not going to buy a 64GB and try it, just going to ebay the 32GB.)

It'd be interesting to see if the 32GB works okay if you (a) formatted it on a PC, and then (b) ran the MakeBootable script on a PC as well.

This may simply be an issue with doing the prep on a Mac vs. a PC.

That is the way I did it the first time, before someone else suggested formatting on Mac and I wandered down the rabbit hole of every combination I could think of.  I also considered trying different versions of UnRAID and different versions of syslinux.exe.

Did you do EXACTLY this:

(a)  Reformat the flash - choosing FAT32 - and label it "UNRAID"  (note caps)

(b)  Copy the UnRAID v6.1.3 distributions files to the flash drive

©  Right-click on MakeBootable.bat and select "Run as Administrator"

(d)  Safely remove the flash drive [using the Safe Remove icon in the tray]

(e)  Try it in your UnRAID server.

Did you do EXACTLY this:

(a)  Reformat the flash - choosing FAT32 - and label it "UNRAID"  (note caps)

(b)  Copy the UnRAID v6.1.3 distributions files to the flash drive

©  Right-click on MakeBootable.bat and select "Run as Administrator"

(d)  Safely remove the flash drive [using the Safe Remove icon in the tray]

(e)  Try it in your UnRAID server.

Yep! Exactly that (just tried again to be sure).

I think you must have a defective 32GB Ultra Fit.

That maybe true, but if it is then ...

(a) there are several defective ones out there, the OP and others that have posted the exact same symptoms with this chip, and

(b) the only problem I had was with UnRAID. Used the same drive for DOS booting and loading firmware and BIOS with no issues. Ran several diagnostics against it and all say good.

Main point is OP's statement of "Avoid using San Disk Ultra Fit USBs with UNRAID !!!" appears to only apply to the 32GB (and up?) drives and may be dependent on MB and BIOS used.

... appears to only apply to the 32GB (and up?) drives and may be dependent on MB and BIOS used.

I had the same thought initially, but WeeboTech's experience with the 64GB versions shows that they work fine, just as all of the 16GB versions I've used.    Apparently there's something about the 32GB versions that causes issues.

Strange.  But I'd agree it's best to simply buy the 16GB versions.

• 10 months later...

I'm going to jump in here even though it is a little bit of an old topic because it still applies.  I also have been racking my brain trying to get UnRaid to boot on a 32gb SanDisk Ultra Fit and having the same exact issue, all configured on a Mac.  I too bought it on the recommendation from Limetech and because the 32gb was only a couple bucks more...

• 6 months later...

I hate to necropost, but I think I got to the bottom of this issue.  The problem with the SanDisk Ultra Fit is that it won't re-enumerate during Unraid boot.  This seems to happen only with certain USB host-device pairs.  For instance, I can't boot correctly when connected directly to the PCH or via a Renesas USB hub chip.  But when using a Inateck USB PCIE card, it has no problems.  Also, I was able to work around the issue by unplugging and re-inserting the Ultra Fit during the boot process while it was timing out. 

--Harper

• 1 year later...

I am really up the creek now with this issue.

I have a z390 asrock board and a Sandisk Ultra FLAIR (not fit) and it's giving me the same kind of issues.  Some sort of corruption after reboots and then the /boot is empty issue.   Unplugging and replugging seems to have no effect.  Once it's messed up a reinstall is the only thing I can do.  The drive TESTS fine in windows and I've reformatted and reinstalled using the correct procedure which only fixes it for a while.

I plug my old Sandisk usb 2.0 drive in and it works fine it seems.  Of course I've done a key replacement already so the old one is black listed on the next upgrade.

I have no idea what to do. 

I have 2 pro keys, one is now on this drive that won't work.  The other is on an old drive that's only 256 megs.  I could upgrade that one but I am unsure if it will be stable.

• 1 year later...

I hate to necropost this thread again, but I feel like it's important to let people know that this usb stick may not be a good choice for Unraid.  Mine just died after using it for a year of seemingly no problems.  There was no warning, I just couldn't access the unraid web portal and when I shutdown my system it wouldn't boot again.  I plugged the usb into another machine and it can't be read.  Totally toast.  While diagnosing the problem I found more than a few people with similar experiences with the Ultra Fit model:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/9j2kyi/back_up_your_flash_drive_folks/

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/9eccie/just_got_usb_flash_drive_failure_what_to_do/

Fortunately, I do monthly backups of the usb drive so I was quickly back up and running with a new stick, but just wanted to let people know the issues I've found and experienced with this drive.