[SOLVED] Cache drive - read only file system.

All,

My cache drive has become read-only again. I do not know what is the reason for this but it started to happen after I migrate my server to 6 beta 15.

Every 2 days I need to restart the server because of BTRFS errors. Upgrade to RC3 is still not an option for me.

Please see the system log attached.

I'm going to move your thread to general support.  Without following the guidelines outlined here, we can't really treat this as a defect (also because we haven't had this issue in internal testing or others reporting it).  Could be a hardware issue.

All,

My cache drive has become read-only again. I do not know what is the reason for this but it started to happen after I migrate my server to 6 beta 15.

Every 2 days I need to restart the server because of BTRFS errors. Upgrade to RC3 is still not an option for me.

Please see the system log attached.

The Cache drive is on a SAS controller, and they are singularly uninformative about errors!  Everything was fine, until this -

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: mpt2sas0: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdi, sector 0

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: sd 2:0:2:0: [sdi] UNKNOWN Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: sd 2:0:2:0: [sdi] Sense Key : 0x2 [current]

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: sd 2:0:2:0: [sdi] ASC=0x4 ASCQ=0x0

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: sd 2:0:2:0: [sdi] CDB:

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: cdb[0]=0x2a: 2a 00 0d 38 c5 60 00 00 08 00

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdi, sector 221824352

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdi1, logical block 27728036, lost async page write

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: BTRFS: lost page write due to I/O error on /dev/loop0

May 20 01:15:21 UNRAID kernel: BTRFS: bdev /dev/loop0 errs: wr 1, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 16, gen 0

Apparently something with the controller or with the drive failed at that time, but no clues I recognize.  Perhaps someone somewhere has a manual for that controller or that controller module (mpt2sas), that lists the codes and what they mean.  It looks like a write failed, causing BTRFS corruption, but no clue why it failed.  I suspect a problem with the controller (check for a firmware update), but you should Obtain a SMART report for the Cache drive, to ensure there aren't problems with it.

The newest release reports BTRFS fixes, so I recommend downloading -rc3 and upgrading to it.  Might help avoid the BTRFS issues.

Dear RobJ,

Thank you very much for your exhaustive comment.

The controller is a Supermicro SASLP-MV8 with LSI cables connected to a Supermicro M35-T cage.

Will upgrade to RC3 as soon as I get back home with a hope to resolve the annoying issue.

Smart (long and short) tests were perform showing no problems with the disk.

Will keep an eye on it and will report what is happening once I upgrade to RC3.

Thanks again.

While I hope RC3 helps, I don't think it will fix the problem, because that seems to be something to do with that drive and controller.  You could eliminate the controller as a factor by reconnecting the Cache drive to a motherboard port.  There are still 5 of them, and they are your fastest and most reliable ports.

• 2 weeks later...