Can't change boot device to boot CD to install

Hi!  Trying to install Linux Mint.  Ran the template creation piece.  Machine supposedly starts.  VNC gives blank screen.

When I try to change the boot device using the drop down to the ISO cd, it refreshes and defaults back to the hd.

How can I force it to boot the cd so I can install to the new drive?

Thanks,

Kermit

• Like 1

Hi!  Trying to install Linux Mint.  Ran the template creation piece.  Machine supposedly starts.  VNC gives blank screen.

When I try to change the boot device using the drop down to the ISO cd, it refreshes and defaults back to the hd.

How can I force it to boot the cd so I can install to the new drive?

Thanks,

Kermit

The drop downs for changing boot devices is not actually working at this time.  To do this manually, with the VM stopped, click the VM icon then select "Edit XML" from the drop down.  From there, locate the <disk> tag for your ISO and for your virtual disk:

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' io='native'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/domains/RC2 Test 1/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/win10.iso'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>

Adjust the "boot order" from 2 to 1 for the vdisk and from 1 to 2 for the cdrom.  This will force the CDROM as the bootable device.

• Upvote 3

Just for information, I have found that often nothing shows in the noVNC client that can be launched from the unRAID GUI, but if you use a local client such as TightVNC or UltraVNC and point it at the UnRAID server IP and the port shown in the GUI for a particular VM it works.  I must admit I am not sure why this happens (and would love to see it resolved as using the noVNC client is convenient) but at least it may give you a way forward.

• 4 years later...