Which Plex docker and Trak.tv

Hello everyone,

Two quick questions; I use and am very pleased with XBMC/Kodi as my client of choice at home but I have also used Plex.

Plex is clearly superior for it ability to Sync content to client, to server remotely, etc. I'd like to use Plex to keep my content synced to my iPad and iPhone for viewing while travelling. I've seen some user here say they do just that and keep the XBMC/Kodi library and Plex in sync using Trak.tv

So, first, which is the better/best docker to use for this use?

Secondly, how do I install/use Trak.tv on my Plex installation on my unRAID server to keep the watched status in sync?

TIA.

Hello everyone,

Two quick questions; I use and am very pleased with XBMC/Kodi as my client of choice at home but I have also used Plex.

Plex is clearly superior for it ability to Sync content to client, to server remotely, etc. I'd like to use Plex to keep my content synced to my iPad and iPhone for viewing while travelling. I've seen some user here say they do just that and keep the XBMC/Kodi library and Plex in sync using Trak.tv

So, first, which is the better/best docker to use for this use?

Secondly, how do I install/use Trak.tv on my Plex installation on my unRAID server to keep the watched status in sync?

TIA.

I've tried both needo's and binhex's Plex containers and there isn't anything to choose between them as far as I could tell.  Binhex uses Arch Linux as a base and I think Needo uses phusion.

Thank you CHBMB. I'm running the bin hex docker right now and it's running smoothly ... If it ain't broke :)

On my second question, I found the answer. To enable Trakt.tv you have to download and copy the Trakt.tv bundle to the plugin folder in your update and configure the plugin through Channels. Easy peasy.

I've tried both needo's and binhex's Plex containers and there isn't anything to choose between them as far as I could tell.  Binhex uses Arch Linux as a base and I think Needo uses phusion.

There actually is a difference... binhex's Docker is based on Arch, and it installs the latest *public* version of Plex available on AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plex-media-server/

Needo's plex is based on phusion, and it installs Plex using the 64 bit Ubuntu package direct from the Plex website:

https://plex.tv/downloads

By default it installs the latest *Plexpass* version, but if you'd prefer to control when upgrades happen you can pass in a VERSION environment variable so it installs a specific version.  I really like this feature, as I typically wait a few days before upgrading Plex in case other people find major problems with it.

There actually is a difference... binhex's Docker is based on Arch, and it installs the latest *public* version of Plex available on AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plex-media-server/

Needo's plex is based on phusion, and it installs Plex using the 64 bit Ubuntu package direct from the Plex website:

https://plex.tv/downloads

By default it installs the latest *Plexpass* version, but if you'd prefer to control when upgrades happen you can pass in a VERSION environment variable so it installs a specific version.  I really like this feature, as I typically wait a few days before upgrading Plex in case other people find major problems with it.

I knew there was a difference in base image, thanks for clarifying the Plexpass / Public stuff.  I use Needo's but although I have a lifetime PlexPass I'm not a massive user, mostly depend on Kodi (For Live TV)