Bridge adds both physical interfaces by default

unRAID OS Version: 6.0-rc3

Description: When selecting setup bridge in network settings, the behaviour is to add both eth0 and eth1 to br0. This is not a typical scenario and for those of us that use bridges due to the lack of 8021q support end up bridging 2 ports of a managed switch. Expected use of this feature is to add vnics from vm's not bridge physical networks.

How to reproduce: yes to setup bridge

Expected results: eth0 is the only member of br0

Actual results: br0 is bridging eth0 and eth1

Other information: 8021q support compliments virtual networking rather than having to make multiple physical bridges for seperate security zones / networks anyway, please add kernel support for tagged vlans.

unRAID OS Version: 6.0-rc3

Description: When selecting setup bridge in network settings, the behaviour is to add both eth0 and eth1 to br0. This is not a typical scenario and for those of us that use bridges due to the lack of 8021q support end up bridging 2 ports of a managed switch. Expected use of this feature is to add vnics from vm's not bridge physical networks.

How to reproduce: yes to setup bridge

Expected results: eth0 is the only member of br0

Actual results: br0 is bridging eth0 and eth1

Other information: 8021q support compliments virtual networking rather than having to make multiple physical bridges for seperate security zones / networks anyway, please add kernel support for tagged vlans.

This may help, I think what you're describing is the same as what I and archedraft have observed. 

That's the same as what I'm doing, but bridging physical interfaces is a defect, you dont go plugging switch ports together.

Also I saw some unanswered requests for 8021q from 2013, then was surprised to see vxlan get in the last release.

The 'Help' text on the Networking pages says this:

Bridging is a feature that combines all of your physical Ethernet interfaces into a single logical network segment. If bonding is also enabled, the bridge sits on top of the bond; this is useful for VM configurations.

Caution: if bonding is also not enabled, do not connect two or more ethernet ports to the same switch unless you have STP enabled and the switch supports STP (most consumer switches do not).

Doing so will cause an "ARP broadcast storm" and can bring down your entire network (unplugging all sever ethernet ports except one typically will restore your network).

The 'Caution' above could be worded better I guess.

The use case for this feature would be something like joining your coax network to your twisted pair network. A couple of users might just turn this on becuase they want to lazily use any ethernet port they have without caring. The majority of users would be using the bridge to put vm's on the primary network in which case the default behaviour is illogical and all that is needed is the primary interface.

Anyway it's not a big deal as we all just use the go script to work around this.

Can you help me understand why this is a feature in its current form and who would use it for what purpose.