Storm took out built network

I am still on 4.3.3 as I had problems doing the 5 upgrade of it not recognizing drives so I put that off for another day.

As suggested to do the command:

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

but I get the message:

cp: cannot create regular file ‘/boot/syslog.txt”: No space left on device

But I have checked the flash drive and it has 400+ left on it so I am not sure what to do now.

Probably flash corruption from all the hard shutdowns. Put it in your PC and let it checkdisk

I ran the checknow and no errors.  It shows 459 megs of free space.  Tried command again and same message.  If there a way to see the log on the monitor from cp?

cat  /var/log/syslog

Or

cat  /var/log/syslog | more

The second command will display a screen full at time.  Just hit any key to advance to the next page.

If says no such file or directory.  I double checked my typing.  Is there a way to start the syslog from the cp?

Double check your typing!  Make sure you are using the forward slash (  /  on the "?" Key) and not the reverse slash  (  \    on the "|" key ).    The expression "/var/log/syslog" has no spaces and the leading forward slash is absolutely required!  There is at least one space required between "cat"  and the path.

By the way, if you press the 'up-arrow' key while on logged on your terminal, it will display the last command typed (pressing again displays the previous command to that one).  Once a command is displayed you can edit it using the arrow, delete and backspace keys. 

No that's not it.  I'm not a systems guy but and a programmer and have been doing this since 1979, so trust me I got the correct slash, spacing, spelling, etc.  However, if I use cp instead of cat, I do get something.

I found the command to stop and restart the syslog and now when I sent it to boot I get a current file.

Rebooting and then will out the file and post it here in a min.

Here is the zip.

Here is the code that is loading your interface:

Jun  1 12:03:27 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1777]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.
Jun  1 12:03:27 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1777]: Using interface eth0
Jun  1 12:03:27 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1777]: Initialization complete, link beat not detected.

What card did you install?

I believe you said that you had disabled the onboard NIC. 

But I also noticed that you are running 4.3.3.  I am wonder if that Linux build from Jun 27, 2008, even has drivers for the card you installed.

You may have to install ver 5 (or 6) on a new flash drive and just boot the server.  (It will not start the array so it won't be doing anything to your hard drives)  Then we can see if the Network card gets recognized and has a driver installed for it.  That could at least give us some more clues to help figure out what is going on. 

I have no real experience with version earlier than ver 5 as I have only been using unRAID for bit over three years.  So maybe some of the 'older' experts might want to jump in and lend a hand with your problems. 

The card is : Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK

I bought another key and was trying to get version 5 up a few months back but it was not recognizing some stuff so it got shoved to back burner.  I will boot with that flash and see what it says.  Yes, I did disable the on board Ethernet.

Not sure how to move forward now.  I get the main screen but it only has a parity, disk1 and disk 2, which are unassigned.  In the drop down, it shows 14 data drives serial numbers, except the parity drive and one other. So first, how do I get it to show 15 drive slots so I can assign them?  Next, how do I go about it finding the missing drives?

Not sure how to move forward now.  I get the main screen but it only has a parity, disk1 and disk 2, which are unassigned.  In the drop down, it shows 14 data drives serial numbers, except the parity drive and one other. So first, how do I get it to show 15 drive slots so I can assign them?  Next, how do I go about it finding the missing drives?

What is your status of your unRAID?  It sounds like it is not finding your PRO  .key    File.  Did you put it in the config folder/directory?  I know that the location was changed from the root of the flash drive, then (I believe) that it could be in either, and finally it could only be in the config folder.  (You could put a copy in both places.  It just ignores the one that it doesn't use. Oh, and don't put any extra/old .key files on the flash.  At one time, it would use the first one that it found!)

You will need to know which of your 2TB drives is the parity drive.  If you don't know which one is your parity drive, assign all of your drives as data drives.  One of those two 2TB drives should show up as unformatted.  That one is the parity drive.  (Obviously, DON'T format any drives at this point!!!)

Just to be sure ... you ARE using the USB Flash drive that you assigned your 2nd Pro key to -- right?

The Pro.key file has to be in the config folder on the flash drive.    Just copy it to that location on the Flash share; then reboot the system and you should see plenty of slots for your drives  :)

As Frank noted, if you have any doubts about which drive was parity, just assign ALL drives as data;  then see which one shows as unformatted; and then do a New Config and this time assign that one as parity and the rest as data.

That's it in terms of moving to v5's basic NAS functionality.

So I copied the Pro.Key into the config folder and rebooted but it is still saying basic and only 2 disk assignments.  Is there anything else I need to do?

Find the e-mail from LimeTech that had your pro.key file attached to it.  You should be able to find the GUID of the Flash Drive that the pro.key file was generated for.

Now, on the GUI, goto 'Main', 'Boot Device' and click on 'Flash' under the Device column.  Now compare those two GUID's.  They must be identical.

The key has to be named Pro.key => sometimes when folks have multiple keys they save them with a different name [i.e. I keep mine saved as Pro xxxxxxxx.key, where xxxx is the GUID it's for]

If it has the correct name, then it's likely (as Frank suggested) that you are using a key that was registered to a different flash drive.    Since you have two Pro keys, be sure you didn't simply copy the wrong key to the flash.

Yes, at first I did not have the Pro.Key on the new flash, then copied the wrong one.  But I did find the email from Tom and got the right one and now I see all the drive options.  I am now getting it all back up but looks like it may have taken out 1 drive but the parity seems to be recognized so next step is how to recover 1 drive.  I assume I assign all the good drives to where they belonged before.  I do have a backup drive the same size but it had been used on a Win machine so I guess I have to remember how to prepare it.

Yes, at first I did not have the Pro.Key on the new flash, then copied the wrong one.  But I did find the email from Tom and got the right one and now I see all the drive options.  I am now getting it all back up but looks like it may have taken out 1 drive but the parity seems to be recognized so next step is how to recover 1 drive.  I assume I assign all the good drives to where they belonged before.  I do have a backup drive the same size but it had been used on a Win machine so I guess I have to remember how to prepare it.

STOP!!!  Be careful at this point.  Since you have a problem with a single drive, you now have to proceed with caution so you don't lose the ability to rebuild that drive.  I would suggest posting up a screen shot of the Main page of the GUI and see what the Gurus would do in this case.

I would also suggest preclearing that old windows drive to make sure you are not trading one problem for another one!  You can do that while you are waiting to see what the best course of action would be.  Here is the link to the preclear script:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0

Unfortunately the numerous attempts to boot to v4 MAY have invalidated your parity drive.    While you can't "see" what's been happening (since you don't have access to the Web GUI), what likely has happened on every boot is that a parity check was initiated due to the improper shutdown from the last boot attempt.    With a failed drive in the array, all attempts to read from this have likely resulted in incorrect parity "corrections".

Whether or not that's actually been the case depends on whether the boot process has halted due to errors in the attempt, or if it's "made it" to the actual array.    If you've been seeing the "Tower Login" prompt on your monitor, then the boot has finished, and it's VERY likely that these parity checks have been done.    If you've stopped the array quickly enough each time, they MAY not have done any damage to parity ... but that simply depends on whether or not it's encountered bad data on the failed disk before you shut it all down.

So ... given that possibility, the BEST approach is to simply create a new v5 configuration with a new drive instead of the failed drive; and then copy the missing data from your backups.  Surely, given your experience ...

...  I'm ... a programmer and have been doing this since 1979...

... you understand the importance of and maintain a good set of backups.

If you don't have saved directory listings of your array disks, you can simply do a backup of each backup disk to the array => this will only copy the files from the backup disk that aren't already on the array.  Repeat until you've processed all the backup disks, and then the array will be fully restored.

IF, however, you do NOT have backups and want to try and rebuild the failed disk, then you can try the following:

(1)  Create a new array in v5 with ALL of the disks you had in the original array (INCLUDING the failed disk); and check the "Parity is Valid" box for this array.    [This is often called the "Trust Parity" option]

(2)  Start that array => if it begins a parity check (I believe it will) then IMMEDIATELY stop the check.

(3)  Stop the array;  Unassign the failed disk from its slot; then Start the array ... you should now see a "Missing" disk indication for the failed disk.

(4)  Stop the array;  Assign the new disk to the slot where the failed disk was [if necessary, you can shut down and physically change the disks before doing the assignment].

(5)  Start the array and let it do the rebuild.

(6)  When the rebuild completes, the data on the rebuilt disk may/may not be good, depending on whether or not there were any corruptions in the parity disk.  If you have MD5's (or other checksums) on your data, you can then check the files with those.  Otherwise you'll just have to hope all's well, and manually check whatever you can.

As I recall, there is a setting in ver 5 on the 'Settings' page under 'Disk Settings' to 'Enable auto start' that is set by default to "off" when you first start it up.  I would suggest that you go to that page and verify that it is "off".  That way, you will have control over the starting of any array operation after a reboot or restart.

After you get everything working correctly, you can then enable the auto start and your array will start on boot-up.

One more thing, there are some windows utilities which will allow you to read unRAID data disks if you might want to see what files are recoverable from that 'bad' disk.  With a little luck, it might be that you don't have more than a couple of files that are unreadable.  Here are links to ones that I found (but have NEVER had to use):

http://yareg.akucom.de/

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Frank brings up a good point => be sure the auto-start is set to Off before you build your v5 array.

That way you can Start it and then immediately refresh the Web GUI to see if it started a parity check ... and then immediately stop that check if so.

Also, the Linux-Reader link he provided is what I always recommend for a Windows IFS for reading UnRAID Reiser disks.

• 2 weeks later...