Confusion - USB Device Passthrough without VT-D

I'm confused slightly and am hoping to get some clarification from the great folks here.

Running 6.0 RC3 and read this on the limetech website

unRAID also supports the pass through of USB devices such as keyboards, mice, webcams, and more.  This makes it easy to create virtual desktops that you can interact with using locally attached devices on the system (USB device pass through does not require the use of Intel VT-d capable hardware).

Questions I have after reading this:

• Is the USB support for devices limited to when the VM is started?  Or can a USB device be assigned to the VM after the VM has already been started?
  • Is this only for onboard (motherboard chipset) controllers, or an PCIe add-in cards also be passed through without VT-D?

•  

I do not have VT-D capable hardware (Intel G3258 CPU, MSI B85M-E45 motherboard).  This setup completely meets my needs for computing power on the workstation and am not looking to have to upgrade to get hot-plug USB passthrough to a Windows 8.1 VM.

Thanks to everyone for reading this and having the patience to hear my questions.