User shares disappeared

I've been converting a lot of media from dvd/bluray to mkv (trying out plex).  This means copying a lot of content off the BluRay share to rip to mkv, and then copying the mkv to a new Movies share, and deleting the folder from BluRay.

Last night I copied something like 2/3 of a TB to the cache drive for Movies.  This morning I went to stop the array (add a new precleared disk), but it was still moving content from cache to the array.  I didn't notice at the time, but the webpage kept repeating something like "trying to unmount drives" and that's when I noticed it said it was moving, and I was able to telnet in and see a handful of folders still in /mnt/cache.

I figured I best leave it alone, so I went to work.  When I returned, the array was stopped.  I turned on the array (wanting to confirm that the content of /mnt/cache was different than when I left).  It was, but there were still a few folders left.  However, the list of shares is now empty.  I can see disk1, disk2, etc, and they have the folder structure for the shares, but the shares are listed in the UI, nor visible from windows.

Please help!  I'm afraid to touch anything for fear of messing up my data!

There are rare circumstances that can confuse Fuse, the Linux agent that creates and manages the User Shares system, a union of certain disk folders.  If out of sync, just stopping the array and restarting the array creates a new User Shares system.  You may want to check the files on the disks, to see if they are safe, either still, on the Cache drive or moved to an array disk.

I *think* you are probably fine, although causing drives to be unmounted while the moves were happening could certainly confuse things.

Edit: I need to move this to General Support.  Are you running v5 or v6?

V6 rc3

My /mnt/disk1-/mnt/diskn still show the folders, and /mnt/cache has Movies/<folders>.  So it looks like the drives are correct.  So stopping and restarting the array should recover my shares?  I've been worried anything I try may make matters worse.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have a similar problem. User shares lose their contents and become inaccessible from the network (Plex). The resolution each time is to reboot the server but this seems to be occurring approx every day.

Is there a reason why this would suddenly start happening? Seems to be (although can't be sure) after I upgraded from 6.1.4 to 6.1.6.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I have a similar problem. User shares lose their contents and become inaccessible from the network (Plex). The resolution each time is to reboot the server but this seems to be occurring approx every day.

Is there a reason why this would suddenly start happening? Seems to be (although can't be sure) after I upgraded from 6.1.4 to 6.1.6.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tools - Diagnostics. Post complete diagnostics zip.
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I have been having the exactly the same problem as Tim2011, but the issue is not a frequent as daily more link once every few weeks,

My user shares become inaccessible from the network, and yes a reboot or manually taking the array offline then back online does fix the issue.

I have attached the diagnostics zip as trurl requested, 

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

thank you  

ungad-diagnostics-20171129-0822.zip

• 3 months later...
I also have this problem. For me it is a bit bigger of an issue though as I run 4 VM's on Unraid 2 of which are critical machines. Reboots are extremly disruptive.

I would love to find out why this keeps happening. happens to me once ever couple weeks.

You need to post your diagnostics after it happens and before rebooting.