Server Layout Plugin for unRAID v6

Maybe we can have arbitrary groups of disks? I have an external SAS enclosure and a few disks inside the case.

A 2 column layout is wrong since the number of disks are not the same.

Will look into it for future versions

Just a guess.

Probably allow the user to mark the disks as SATA/ATA/etc.

Why is this needed? What is wrong with automatic detection?

Odd that WD Reds of 4GB and higher are not in the smartctl db as of v6rc3

If you run lsscsi what do you get?

Just hedging your bets with autodetection.

but as for the WD Red 4Gs

lssci:

[0:0:1:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A80  /dev/sdb

[0:0:2:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A82  /dev/sdc

[0:0:3:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A80  /dev/sdd

[0:0:4:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A82  /dev/sdf

smartctl

smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.0.4-unRAID] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:    WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

Serial Number:    WD-WCC***

LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee ***

Firmware Version: 82.00A82

User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]

Sector Sizes:    512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

Rotation Rate:    5400 rpm

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:  ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)

SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)

Local Time is:    Thu May 28 19:13:16 2015 SGT

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

Note the emphasis and:

# smartctl -P showall | grep -A3 EFRX

MODEL REGEXP:      WDC WD(10|20|30)EFRX-.*

FIRMWARE REGEXP:    .*

MODEL FAMILY:      Western Digital Red (AF)

ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS:  None preset; no -v options are required.

Maybe we can have arbitrary groups of disks? I have an external SAS enclosure and a few disks inside the case.

A 2 column layout is wrong since the number of disks are not the same.

Will look into it for future versions

Just a guess.

Probably allow the user to mark the disks as SATA/ATA/etc.

Why is this needed? What is wrong with automatic detection?

Odd that WD Reds of 4GB and higher are not in the smartctl db as of v6rc3

If you run lsscsi what do you get?

Just hedging your bets with autodetection.

but as for the WD Red 4Gs

lssci:

[0:0:1:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A80  /dev/sdb

[0:0:2:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A82  /dev/sdc

[0:0:3:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A80  /dev/sdd

[0:0:4:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A82  /dev/sdf

smartctl

smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.0.4-unRAID] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:    WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

Serial Number:    WD-WCC***

LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee ***

Firmware Version: 82.00A82

User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]

Sector Sizes:    512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

Rotation Rate:    5400 rpm

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:  ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)

SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)

Local Time is:    Thu May 28 19:13:16 2015 SGT

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

Note the emphasis and:

# smartctl -P showall | grep -A3 EFRX

MODEL REGEXP:      WDC WD(10|20|30)EFRX-.*

FIRMWARE REGEXP:    .*

MODEL FAMILY:      Western Digital Red (AF)

ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS:  None preset; no -v options are required.

I found that adding this line to my go file stopped all problem with a drive not being in the smartctl database

/usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb

Kevin.

Love the idea, and am really excited by this.

Unfortunately I got this error when trying to save my server layout and assignments.

Warning: file_put_contents(/boot/config/plugins/serverlayout/serverlayout.json): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/serverlayout/php/serverlayout_constants.php on line 123 Warning: file_put_contents(/boot/config/plugins/serverlayout/serverlayout.json): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/serverlayout/php/serverlayout_constants.php on line 60

New Release:

###2015.05.28-3

- Changed "packageVER" to be same as "version"

- Changed "launch" to be dependent on "name" of plugin

- Added button on "Data" tab for updating Smartmontools database

- Added "Report" tab

- Fix: New disk scraped data was not being saved

Unfortunately I got this error when trying to save my server layout and assignments.

Warning: file_put_contents(/boot/config/plugins/serverlayout/serverlayout.json): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/serverlayout/php/serverlayout_constants.php on line 123 Warning: file_put_contents(/boot/config/plugins/serverlayout/serverlayout.json): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/serverlayout/php/serverlayout_constants.php on line 60

Check if this path exists:

/boot/config/plugins/serverlayout

it should have been created during the plugin installation.

You maybe have a permissions issue writing to it?

Check if this path exists:

/boot/config/plugins/serverlayout

it should have been created during the plugin installation.

You maybe have a permissions issue writing to it?

Hmmm, so after I posted, all my plugins disappeared, the webgui then became unresponsive, so powerdown -r via telnet, server failed to reboot, and had an error about not being able to find the folder on the USB key to write my log files to and when it rebooted it was trying to boot using the network as primary boot. 

Ran a check on my USB on Windows, no errors found, but the USB key is over four years old so I've replaced it and have just rebooted.

Interestingly there was an error message next to my USB key in your plugin, but I assumed it was a quirk of the plugin given it's recent release.

At the moment I can't say I'm convinced it was your plugin and it may well have been coincidental.  So I'm going to set it all up again.

Once more thanks for this.

EDIT: Smooth as butter this time!  ;D

Some issues and thoughts -

* A very nice idea, and a very good start for it!

* It looks like you are keying on the Path in order to locate each drive after a reboot.  Once I rebooted, most of the drives I 'installed' on the layout disappeared, only 3 were showing.  The 3 that were still there happened to have the same SCSI path as the previous session.  One drive had the same device symbol but a different path, and did not reappear.  Both SCSI paths and device symbols can change with every boot.  The ONLY thing you can rely on is the drive serial numbers.

* After selecting slots for 5 of my drives, I could not get any more to stick.  I'd select a slot for them, then click the Save Data button, and when the screen re-displayed, they would be gone, no matter how I tried it.  Since I had recently turned off a number of columns, I turned the dates and manufacturer columns back on (for the Installed screen), and then found that the changes would stick.  I haven't tested further yet, to see if it's a specific column that has to be on (like manufacturer), or a current column count issue.

* I assume there will be ways to edit the install dates?  They are rather useless right now.  What might be useful to some of us is the Power_On_Hours, attribute 9 from the SMART report.

* I too have drives in enclosures outside of the system case, so could use a mechanism for 2 layouts, but it's a low priority for now.  I set up 2 columns, 10 rows each, and consider the right column to be inside the case, and the left column to be outside.  I ignore the slot numbers, and mentally 'number' the drives from the bottom up, just leave various ones blank, and it works OK for me.

* Many would probably like to see the array drive number with the drive.  (That's a second column request, the first being power_on_hours.  Neither are high priorities.)

* The UnMENU MyMain screen had some similar capabilities.  One thing I remember was a Notes field, and I expect you will be hearing from users wanting that, for each drive.  I know there were a few other columns too, but don't remember them now.

* It looks like you are keying on the Path in order to locate each drive after a reboot.  Once I rebooted, most of the drives I 'installed' on the layout disappeared, only 3 were showing.  The 3 that were still there happened to have the same SCSI path as the previous session.  One drive had the same device symbol but a different path, and did not reappear.  Both SCSI paths and device symbols can change with every boot.  The ONLY thing you can rely on is the drive serial numbers.

I will remove this check.

* After selecting slots for 5 of my drives, I could not get any more to stick.  I'd select a slot for them, then click the Save Data button, and when the screen re-displayed, they would be gone, no matter how I tried it.  Since I had recently turned off a number of columns, I turned the dates and manufacturer columns back on (for the Installed screen), and then found that the changes would stick.  I haven't tested further yet, to see if it's a specific column that has to be on (like manufacturer), or a current column count issue.

There was a bug (fixed in 2015.05.28-3) that caused some fields not to be updated.

Please try again and if you could check which field hidden caused this I would appreciate it.

I will also look into it.

* I assume there will be ways to edit the install dates?  They are rather useless right now.  What might be useful to some of us is the Power_On_Hours, attribute 9 from the SMART report.

I can have them automatically entered upon first finding of the drive but also editable

* I too have drives in enclosures outside of the system case, so could use a mechanism for 2 layouts, but it's a low priority for now.  I set up 2 columns, 10 rows each, and consider the right column to be inside the case, and the left column to be outside.  I ignore the slot numbers, and mentally 'number' the drives from the bottom up, just leave various ones blank, and it works OK for me.

As I said, maybe in a future version

* Many would probably like to see the array drive number with the drive.  (That's a second column request, the first being power_on_hours.  Neither are high priorities.)

I am already working on adding the device description in the array (flash/cache/disk_x)

I will add the POWER_ON_HOURS for HDDs

* The UnMENU MyMain screen had some similar capabilities.  One thing I remember was a Notes field, and I expect you will be hearing from users wanting that, for each drive.  I know there were a few other columns too, but don't remember them now.

I will add a NOTES field

Having set up all the drive locations earlier, the server rebooted after a power cut and all the drive-tray assignments have vanished.

I'm running 2015.05.28-3.

As robj indicate above,  I check if path changes and if so i reset the assignment. I assumed path is constant and only dependant on physical hw configuration which it is NOT.

I have remove this and will be available in next release. Today or max tomorrow.

very nice plugin!

i got a gui bug and a feature request (see screenshot)

blue: its not aligned vertically, i can fix this for my situation by setting .cell_text to 25%

red: it would be nice to have a "hide" checkbox to disable empty slots. that would be easier to reflect individual configurations. in my case, i have only 4 Slots in my HP N40L and the above drives are a cache drive in CD Rom Slot and an external mounted HDD case. i only have 6 SATA ports.

keep up the good work. very easy to set up.

serverlayout_bug.jpg.10fa1e62159d414c7e7b96c4097132e3.jpg

very nice plugin!

i got a gui bug and a feature request (see screenshot)

blue: its not aligned vertically, i can fix this for my situation by setting .cell_text to 25%

red: it would be nice to have a "hide" checkbox to disable empty slots. that would be easier to reflect individual configurations. in my case, i have only 4 Slots in my HP N40L and the above drives are a cache drive in CD Rom Slot and an external mounted HDD case. i only have 6 SATA ports.

keep up the good work. very easy to set up.

The bug:

* What browser and browser version are you using?

* Can you send me your serverloayout.json file? privately if you prefer.

New feature:

This is an interesting idea (to hide trays), this can also be used as a first step to split enclosures as requested before.

The limitation is that the trays will all be in the same orientation (Horizontal or Vertical).

Side note

Why didn't you define the trays as vertical?

Why did you define the arrays as 2x4 and not 1x6? (Rows/Columns)

The bug:

* What browser and browser version are you using?

* Can you send me your serverloayout.json file? privately if you prefer.

New feature:

This is an interesting idea (to hide trays), this can also be used as a first step to split enclosures as requested before.

The limitation is that the trays will all be in the same orientation (Horizontal or Vertical).

Side note

Why didn't you define the trays as vertical?

Why did you define the arrays as 2x4 and not 1x6? (Rows/Columns)

for the bug:

its safari 8.0.6 on a Mac 10.10.3, where can i get the json file?

i defined them horizontal because its easier to read and there is also a bug with safari. safari ignores the rotating by css in this case (see screenshot.

chrome on the same mac doesn't ignore the vertical view, but as said, its harder to read.

also i tried to reflect my server viewed from the front. i have one row where the CD ROM (filled with the cache drive) and beneath a row with the 4 Drives Bay (filled with 3 drives). i added the external HDD to the cache drive slot, because its lying external on the server.

Bildschirmfoto-2015-05-31-um-16_10_57.jpg.50ce252d327836a9e34ce5bd548d5053.jpg

for the bug:

its safari 8.0.6 on a Mac 10.10.3, where can i get the json file?

i defined them horizontal because its easier to read and there is also a bug with safari. safari ignores the rotating by css in this case (see screenshot.

chrome on the same mac doesn't ignore the vertical view, but as said, its harder to read.

also i tried to reflect my server viewed from the front. i have one row where the CD ROM (filled with the cache drive) and beneath a row with the 4 Drives Bay (filled with 3 drives). i added the external HDD to the cache drive slot, because its lying external on the server.

I will fix the rotation bug in the next release (add prefixes for all browsers for all transfrom functions).

the JSON file is in /boot/custom/plugins/severlayout but the shift is also probably caused by the missing transform prefixes - check again in next release.

P.S

I am will also probably add a tooltip that will appear whenever you hover over a tray and display all infomation you configure vertically so it will be simpler to veiw... look for it :)

New Release:

- Added transform (rotation and translate) support for other browsers (-webkit, -ms)

- Added Tooltip Disk information for each tray on "Layout" tab and settings for each field in "Settings" tab

- Compacted data and settings tables rows

- Added "User Utilities" icon

Tooltip_Layout.gif.8623978209ffe3f693c3237e67e542d7.gif

Tooltip_Settings.gif.17d0c53676d637bf971e09ba825f01fc.gif

I can replicate the error I had before, now I know what I did, because I've done it again....

Run smartmon update and my webui seemed to freeze.

Telnet - powerdown -r

Then on reboot initally my USB refused to boot, so I put it in my Windows machine and ran a check - fixed the errors.

Rebooted to a parity check - so must of been an unclean shutdown (I do have powerdown installed) & an error about being unable to write to the USB.

Shutdown again, I then backed up the USB and reformatted.  Copied my files back and seemed to boot OK.  I had deleted the plugin at this point off the USB, reinstalled it and again all seemed to be well, went to the plugins tab and all my plugins have disappeared, although they are visible in the settings menu.  So again I tried powerdown -r

Linux 4.0.4-unRAID.
root@Server:~# powerdown -r
Powerdown initiated
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/boot/logs/’: Input/output error
Powerdown V2.16

Broadcast message from root@Server (pts/0) (Mon Jun  1 01:28:49 2015):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
root@Server:~#

I'm pretty sure all of this has been because I shutdown the server with the smartmon update ongoing.  User error no doubt, but I suspect one that others will invariably make in time.

I can replicate the error I had before, now I know what I did, because I've done it again....

Telnet - powerdown -r

Then on reboot initally my USB refused to boot, so I put it in my Windows machine and ran a check - fixed the errors.

Rebooted to a parity check - so must of been an unclean shutdown (I do have powerdown installed) & an error about being unable to write to the USB.

Shutdown again, I then backed up the USB and reformatted.  Copied my files back and seemed to boot OK.  I had deleted the plugin at this point off the USB, reinstalled it and again all seemed to be well, went to the plugins tab and all my plugins have disappeared, although they are visible in the settings menu.  So again I tried powerdown -r

Linux 4.0.4-unRAID.
Powerdown initiated
Powerdown V2.16

I'm pretty sure all of this has been because I shutdown the server with the smartmon update ongoing.  User error no doubt, but I suspect one that others will invariably make in time.

Sounds to me like your flash drive is read-only. That would also prevent you from getting a clean shutdown since unRAID would be unable to write super.dat to indicate that the array was stopped.

If you rebuilt it on another machine then perhaps it goes completely missing after bootup for some reason. Can you access it after bootup? Can you write to it?

Telnet - powerdown -r

Linux 4.0.4-unRAID.
Powerdown initiated
Powerdown V2.16

Sounds to me like your flash drive is read-only. That would also prevent you from getting a clean shutdown since unRAID would be unable to write super.dat to indicate that the array was stopped.

If you rebuilt it on another machine then perhaps it goes completely missing after bootup for some reason. Can you access it after bootup? Can you write to it?

Yep, it was read only, got a pushbullet alert stating just that, but this has happened twice on different USB devices whilst using this plugin, back up and running now (Have a backup USB Key)

Any ideas why it happens though?