Server Layout Plugin for unRAID v6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First, thanks TheOne for a great plugin.. seen this one long before, but installed it today for first time..

looks like all devices are displayed ok.. some questions:

- i'm running unRAID on top of ESXi. it will be cool to manage all server hdd's in this cool plugin - so, are there an easy way to add devices manually?

- my cache drive is RAID1 array and occupies 2 slots. any ideas how to add one device to two slots or maybe another idea ?

thanks again for plugin!

Uldise

• 2 weeks later...

Hey theone, great plugin, I've been using it for over a year, and find it very helpful.

About 3 years ago, I wrote up a request to have unMenu display a disk temperature heat map.  At the time, people said it was possible, but pushed it back on me to do the coding - but I wasn't smart enough to do it.

Fast forward to today, and I'm realizing that your Server Layout Plugin may be the perfect candidate for my idea, because it already has the right layout, it's just missing the temps.

Here's a link to the full write up with pictures of my idea:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27051.msg248318#msg248318

Long story short, what I'm thinking is that:  a)  It would be real nice to have drive temps displayed along with the other drive info, and b) It would be even nicer if, instead of the brushed metal drive background (which is sharp looking, by the way), that each background would be a color to represent the temperature, from blue = cool, to red = hot hot hot.  This would help visually identify hot spots in the server that might need better cooling.

Do you think this is doable?

Thanks,

Paul

Yikes, looks like I failed "Internets 101".  Thanks for the heads up, I corrected the link in my post.

Also, in rereading the linked write-up, I had a few other ideas at that time that I've forgotten about:

• Spin Status, and possibly a toggle
  • Used/free space bar graph
  • Other SMART metric, or links to run SMART

Basically, a merging of the data that is on the MAIN tab, with the beautiful layout of the Server Layout plugin, plus the visual heatmap.

-Paul

Just wanting to find out if it was possible to rearrange the numbers listed?

It seems as though Supermicro likes to count from bottom to top and left to right.

So my case actually goes like this:

This more of a cosmetic thing but just thought I would reach out.

• 2 months later...

Is there an option to change the slot number orientation?

what I mean is, my drive trays are oriented horizontal layout, but the plugin has the trays numbered from left to right IE:

1, 2, 3, 4

5, 6, 7, 8

9, 10, 11, 12

but my server hardware has them labeled vertically from top to bottom IE:

1, 4, 7, 10

2, 5, 8, 11

3, 6, 9, 12

It's not a huge deal, but it's one of those things that becomes annoying after awhile, when the plugin reports a problem with drive# 3 I'm naturally looking at drive# 7.

Is there an option to change the slot number orientation?

what I mean is, my drive trays are oriented horizontal layout, but the plugin has the trays numbered from left to right IE:

1, 2, 3, 4

5, 6, 7, 8

9, 10, 11, 12

but my server hardware has them labeled vertically from top to bottom IE:

1, 4, 7, 10

2, 5, 8, 11

3, 6, 9, 12

It's not a huge deal, but it's one of those things that becomes annoying after awhile, when the plugin reports a problem with drive# 3 I'm naturally looking at drive# 7.

I just make sure that the layout displayed matches the physical layout and ignore the slot number other than using it as a guide when configuring the slots for the plugin.  Once they have been configured then the information displayed includes the unRAID disk number so that it is easy to relate them back to the unRAID identities.

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted a feature request that may be of interest to your very cool app.  The challenge is tracking which drive is on which controller (I have 3 different sets of ports on my system, motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and a Syba 2 port SSD PCIe Controller).  So it can be challenging to identify which drive is on which controller.

The data is clearly defined (if you dig) in the Isscsi.txt and Ispci.txt files pulled from the system diagnostics.zip generated from the Tools menu.  It took a bit, but once I color coded the files, it became clear that the data is there.  Just thought you'd be interested in perhaps using this data to further enhance your already useful tool...CRITICAL when it comes to documenting your system if something fails and you need to get things back in the right spot...

Here's the feature request:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=53728.msg515132#msg515132

EDIT:  LOL, so I just went through this exercise, then went back to my own server layout to add which controller a drive was on ( using the new knowledged I learned) and lo and behold, you have the PATH already there!  So perhaps you could expand the path to include information about the controller name?  Or other distinguishing information to help decipher what the PATH is telling us...  I can also see that the /sys/bus/scsi/devices/1:0:1:0 is where you pull the path from.  So a simple link or mouse over on the Path could display the controller name pulled from the ISPCI.TXT file...  And one other confusing point that you could easily clear up would be identifying which are motherboard based and which are PCIe based.  i.e. 1:0:X:X in my case is the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCIe Raid card, but the motherboard has a different path for each of the motherboard ports - i.e. 2:0:0:0 is a 3GB/s SATA port, 3:0:0:0 is another one, and 6:0:0:0 is a 6GB/s port.  The other three ports are unused at the moment, so they don't show up in the file.

Here's the files for your convenience, hopefully this makes sense (this posted in the feature request as well).

width=300http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20161113-cllg-593kb.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...

This would appear to be quite the nice plugin, except I am having the ATA no data shown issue in drive layout that was apparently fixed some time ago.

Not sure where to start, the plugin was installed from the unRAID GUI so I know it is current; I'm on version 6.2.4.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks...  :-\

• 1 month later...

So I've just run across a rather interesting flaw.

When a drive is "removed" it is also imediatly removed from any layout settings and is only listed under historical devices. Which makes it impossible to figure out which of the 24 bays is occupied by a drive that just shat itself. If it was full I guess I could look for the empty one, but since its only half full, I guess I can just go and start yanking supposedly empty bays until I find one with a drive in it.

1 hour ago, chaosratt said:

When a drive is "removed" it is also immediately removed from any layout settings and is only listed under historical devices. Which makes it impossible to figure out which of the 24 bays is occupied by a drive ...

I just ran into this a few days ago.  A feature request, add the the last used slot number to the historical listing for a drive.  Some of us don't always remember to visit Server Layout first before unassigning a drive.

• Upvote 1
Just now, RobJ said:

I just ran into this a few days ago.  A feature request, add the the last used slot number to the historical listing for a drive.  Some of us don't always remember to visit Server Layout first before unassigning a drive.

I'll second this, I guess I should have said that myself. If a drive has an assigned location when removed, then that should be included with the drive data in the historical listing with the other metrics that are retained.

On 24.2.2017 at 4:53 AM, RobJ said:

I looked at my development code and feature tracker and saw that I have already started working on it several months ago before being diverted to my other project.

So it might be up earlier than I thought.

5 hours ago, theone said:

I looked at my development code and feature tracker and saw that I have already started working on it several months ago before being diverted to my other project.

So it might be up earlier than I thought.

Thank you!  I'm just using this now, just printed out both the Layout and Data pages, before moving everything to a bigger case, different layout.

Updated plugin:

- Added TRAY_NUM to HISTORICAL data - If drives fails you can see in which tray it was last seen
- Added debug option - Time Profiling for data gathering performance analysis and future optimizations

- Fixed support for ARECA controllers

On 8/1/2016 at 7:56 PM, uldise said:

First, thanks TheOne for a great plugin.. seen this one long before, but installed it today for first time..

looks like all devices are displayed ok.. some questions:

- i'm running unRAID on top of ESXi. it will be cool to manage all server hdd's in this cool plugin - so, are there an easy way to add devices manually?

- my cache drive is RAID1 array and occupies 2 slots. any ideas how to add one device to two slots or maybe another idea ?

thanks again for plugin!

Uldise

Hi @theone, i'm quoting myself, may be you have and interest to develop something like that?

And since we're on the subject of feature requests ...   :D

First, thanks for adding TRAY_NUM to the historical lists, and for the Areca support!

This one is an expansion of the historical slot number, and isn't strictly necessary, now that you've added the slot number.  But the nice thing about this plugin is that it establishes the relationships between the virtual drives and the physical drives.  In keeping with that, it would be nice to still see the unassigned or disabled drive still in its slot, where it still physically is, even if the kernel can't see it.  Perhaps grayed out?  It wouldn't have drive numbers or device symbols, but would still have its physical identification.  Then we would need a blanking action for slots, that corresponded to the physical removing of a drive.

A second request, this one is a small issue.  Your plugin is one of the few sources of confusion about what is spinning and what is not on the Main page.  When SMART requests are done, they spin drives up (unless the drive is a WD), but the SMART request does not notify unRAID (emhttp?) that the drive is spinning.  So temps appear, but the drive cannot be spun down, because the system still thinks it is spun down.  You have to manually spin them up (even though they are actually already spinning), before you can spin them down.  Not sure of your best course, but perhaps issue an unRAID call to spin all drives up?  That will keep spin states correct.