[Solved]Can I use TightVNC Client connecting from Windows 7 to a Unraid6 KVM Ubu

I'm trying to use TightVNC (installed as a viewer on my Windows 7 machine) to connect with an Unraid 6-rc3 Ubuntu VM.

I can ping from windows to the Ubuntu VM, no problem.  I can ping from Ubuntu VM to Windows, no problem.  According to the URL the built-in VNC viewer on the Unraid weg-gui is saying, the host is the ip address of the Unraid server, and the port is 5700.

Ubuntu VM has a different IP.  Any attempt to connect to the VM IP or Unraid IP on port 5700 yields a error message "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

Should I be using a different port?  Not sure if I should be tweaking the XML file for the VM?  I just accepted the templated defaults when I set it up.  Any ideas? :)

Thanks in advance!

I have used both TightVNC and UltraVNC clients to a Ubuntu VM as I was having problems with the built-in noVNC client which did not seem to connect to the VM.    However are you using the correct port - I would expect the default to be 5900 (not 5700) if using an independent client

I'm using TurboVNC (a fork of TigerVNC, which is a fork of TightVNC, which is a fork of RealVNC!) on Windows 8, and it works without any issues.

As mentioned by itimpi, check your port. I use port 5900, not 5700 to connect. The VNC Server I specify in TurboVNC for my first VM is "tower:5900", second one is "tower:5901", etc.

You should be able to see the VNC ports listed in the VMs tab of the unRAID WebGUI

Hey guys, thanks for replying!

I see the Port number now on the unraid menu.  D'oh, don't know why I didn't see it before! :o

So unraid says use port 5901..  The VM says it's ip address is 192.168.1.29.  I tell TightVNC to connect to the remote host at 192.168.1.29::5901 I am still getting "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Are there other suggestions?

Try a different VNC client?  ::)

Hey guys, thanks for replying!

I see the Port number now on the unraid menu.  D'oh, don't know why I didn't see it before! :o

So unraid says use port 5901..  The VM says it's ip address is 192.168.1.29.  I tell TightVNC to connect to the remote host at 192.168.1.29::5901 I am still getting "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Are there other suggestions?

Try a different VNC client?  ::)

Connect to the IP of the unRAID host, not the guest.