The Definitive State/Color/Icon Guide

My personal preference is NO text inside the icons, the icons themselves are too small to have readable text (to my eye). Making the icons (too) large doesn't play nice with the tables though.

With the 16x16 icon size a different shape is more distinguishable than text, in my opinion.

I also prefer nothing inside the icons. Size3 would be my preference, but size2 could work if something was done about the square to make it more obviously pointy.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another approach to providing status details for yellow or red disks could be to have a "Status Details" tab on the "Main" page. Then the hover popup could be kept the way it is. On the "Status Details" tab you could list only the problem drives that might need attention with details for each one and maybe troubleshooting info.

It's pretty common for users to ask questions when problems arise without providing any more info. Providing this info for troubleshooting on the "Status Details" page could help with that, like suggesting a syslog and smartdrive report for a red ball drive.

Gary

Another approach to providing status details for yellow or red disks could be to have a "Status Details" tab on the "Main" page. Then the hover popup could be kept the way it is. On the "Status Details" tab you could list only the problem drives that might need attention with details for each one and maybe troubleshooting info.

It's pretty common for users to ask questions when problems arise without providing any more info. Providing this info for troubleshooting on the "Status Details" page could help with that, like suggesting a syslog and smartdrive report for a red ball drive.

Gary

I like this for providing support. May be more work than you had in mind for v6 though.

Seems like some of these ideas may be rehashing some of the things MyMenu already does. Maybe some more ideas from MyMenu could be incorporated eventually.

Gary

I like this for providing support. May be more work than you had in mind for v6 though.

Seems like some of these ideas may be rehashing some of the things MyMenu already does. Maybe some more ideas from MyMenu could be incorporated eventually.

I am not using MyMenu, what ideas do you have in mind? And are there screenshots available of MyMenu to get a better understanding.

I am not using MyMenu, what ideas do you have in mind? And are there screenshots available of MyMenu to get a better understanding.

Sorry, meant to say MyMain, which is included in unMenu.

myMain Support and Information Thread and some of the links in that first post.

I've not actually re-installed unMenu since I cleaned up my v6 installation a few betas ago so I don't have it either at the moment. It does have a lot of features, but since most users will not have it I have been trying to keep closer to their experience.

Seems rather simple to solve ... add a text column next to the quick icon that displays the status.

That should work for the color blind and mobile platforms.

Multi-lingual? Of course that is a whole new can of worms with the entire UI.

Also, width of other columns would have to give some if a column were added. Horizontal scrolling should be avoided as much as possible to avoid losing track of which disk you are looking at.

Seems rather simple to solve ... add a text column next to the quick icon that displays the status.

Also, width of other columns would have to give some if a column were added. Horizontal scrolling should be avoided as much as possible to avoid losing track of which disk you are looking at.

Yes, but the entire UI already has issues of not being multi-lingual., so this doesn't introduce a new issue. I'd much rather see the disk status clearly than the entire and extensive disk serial identifier or the filesystem.

Yes, but the entire UI already has issues of not being multi-lingual., so this doesn't introduce a new issue. I'd much rather see the disk status clearly than the entire and extensive disk serial identifier or the filesystem.

I think MyMain would just display the (last?) 4 characters from the serial required to uniquely identify the disk. These also happen to correspond to the characters on the sticker WD puts on the end of the drive that I can see clearly from my hotswap bays. Not sure how reliably unique these characters are across all drive manufacturers though.

I think keeping the filesystem could be useful for supporting others when they post screenshots.

I think MyMain would just display the (last?) 4 characters from the serial required to uniquely identify the disk. These also happen to correspond to the characters on the sticker WD puts on the end of the drive that I can see clearly from my hotswap bays. Not sure how reliably unique these characters are across all drive manufacturers though.

I think keeping the filesystem could be useful for supporting others when they post screenshots.

I think that would be more useful on a detailed device screen and less useful on the overview summary screen (at least thats how i view the main tab) or that could be displayed as a second row under the device if its expanded, so default is a brief summary with nitty gritty only shown when expanded.

I want to see the disk status, disk health, disk temp, max size, amount free, and error count by default. The rest such as full identifier, file system, reads, writes, and used is all secondary.

This only applies if you think displaying the disk status clearly is a secondary concern to managing screen real estate.

My personal preference is NO text inside the icons, the icons themselves are too small to have readable text (to my eye). Making the icons (too) large doesn't play nice with the tables though.

With the 16x16 icon size a different shape is more distinguishable than text, in my opinion.

Agree with the no text (even if they were large enough to see).  An Icon like that should be universally recognized whether you can read English or not.  (And personally, I would like to see unRaid implement multiple languages at some point)

Just looked at the icons in rc4. I like but I'm unclear about the difference between the yellow triangle (device contents emulated) and the red X (disk disabled, contents emulated). Does yellow mean it's missing but emulated and red mean present and disabled and emulated? Or what?

Just looked at the icons in rc4. I like but I'm unclear about the difference between the yellow triangle (device contents emulated) and the red X (disk disabled, contents emulated). Does yellow mean it's missing but emulated and red mean present and disabled and emulated? Or what?

"Disabled" (red X) means that the device has failed and is no longer accessed by unRaid in any way.  Whether the device is physically present or not, with the exception that when array is stopped the device may be queried by linux to find out it's ID information.  The reason we don't access it is because depending on nature of failure it can bring everything down to a crawl.

"Invalid" (yellow triangle)  means that a device is present but its data contents are "invalid" - meaning if you were to mount the device on its own, not all the data would be there.  A device in the Invalid state is being emulated by unRaid for reads but writes go through.  Normally you only see this status while a device is being rebuilt (reconstructed), but if you Cancel the rebuild before it finishes the device will retain this Invalid status.

"emulated" means:

for a disabled device: all reads are satisfied using reconstruct-read; all writes update the parity disk.

for an invalid device: all reads are satisfied using reconstruct-read; all writes go through

"Disabled" (red X) means that the device has failed and is no longer accessed by unRaid in any way.  Whether the device is physically present or not, with the exception that when array is stopped the device may be queried by linux to find out it's ID information.  The reason we don't access it is because depending on nature of failure it can bring everything down to a crawl.

"Invalid" (yellow triangle)  means that a device is present but its data contents are "invalid" - meaning if you were to mount the device on its own, not all the data would be there.  A device in the Invalid state is being emulated by unRaid for reads but writes go through.  Normally you only see this status while a device is being rebuilt (reconstructed), but if you Cancel the rebuild before it finishes the device will retain this Invalid status.

"emulated" means:

for a disabled device: all reads are satisfied using reconstruct-read; all writes update the parity disk.

for an invalid device: all reads are satisfied using reconstruct-read; all writes go through

Thanks for spelling out these details. These are some distinctions that I wasn't completely aware of, but now that you have explained them I see how they are necessary. I know I will be referring to this post in the future.
  • 6 years later...
On 5/28/2015 at 8:30 AM, limetech said:

The idea is that 'color' would be used to generate the name of an icon image file to display for the corresponding state.  For example, orignally "green-on.png" was a green solid ball and "green-blink.png" was a green blinking ball.  Similarly, "red-on.png" was a bright solid red ball and "red-off.png" was a dim solid red ball.

Several years later.....

Is there still a way to get my hands on some of these assets?  In particular, green-blink.png which is still required by the (outdated) Server Layout plugin.  I tried downloading some old unRAID releases (I'm using v.6.8.3), but couldn't find these image files within any of the archives.  I don't suppose anyone still might have them lying around?

Thanks!

Edited by servidude