[Plug-In] Community Applications

Just upgraded CA to latest version (2021.10.17a) on 6.9.2.  Now when I go to the Apps tab it gets stuck on "Updating Content" with the spinner never going away and the whole page becoming unresponsive.

image.thumb.png.2bbf8338e181d85ab5191486b94bf3c1.png

Tried removing and re-installing from the link in OP and same issue.

Edited by Chahk

Can't replicate this in Firefox.  Does it work if you use a different browser?  What OS is the client?  

Can you right click anywhere and then select inspect, then click on a red exclamation point top right

image.png.3ea02090d91b34c48c5260307032643f.png

expand the bottom window and give me a screen shot

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Can't replicate this in Firefox.  Does it work if you use a different browser?  What OS is the client?  

Can you right click anywhere and then select inspect, then click on a red exclamation point top right

image.png.3ea02090d91b34c48c5260307032643f.png

expand the bottom window and give me a screen shot

Just tried in Edge and it works fine.  OS is Windows 10 Pro 21H1 (build 19043.1266), FF v93.0 64bit.

Once it gets into the spinning, I can't even right-click the page.  When I start the inspector before going to the page, I don't see a red exclamation:

image.thumb.png.e8870785f6576c539684945c0fc43e7c.png

Edited by Chahk
1 hour ago, bluegizmo83 said:

Just gonna say it... I'm not a fan of the new CA GUI look and layout. I don't like that you have to click an "Info" button now on every app to see a description of the app. 👎

6 hours ago, Squid said:

Next release will have the option to enable descriptions on all cards

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chahk said:

Just tried in Edge and it works fine.  OS is Windows 10 Pro 21H1 (build 19043.1266), FF v93.0 64bit.

Once it gets into the spinning, I can't even right-click the page.  When I start the inspector before going to the page, I don't see a red exclamation:

image.thumb.png.e8870785f6576c539684945c0fc43e7c.png

That’s interesting if only because it says where the problem isn’t.   CA’s diagnostics are a pain to get at if the spinner doesn’t disappear so tomorrow I’ll issue an update to rectify that and we’ll see where the issue lies.   In the meantime I’m curious though what happens if you load up CA in edge and then immediately try it again in Firefox.

I would really like to see the new/trending/top new installs links back on the sidebar. I use them for discovery a lot of the time, and right now you have to Show More, do your browsing, click on the apps link again, then Show More on the next category.

That's my only real complaint with the redesign, I'm happy to have the option to toggle descriptions as well.

Thanks for all the work, Squid!

• Like 3

At the beginnin, thanks for all the work.. but:

Using 'EDGE' on a unRAID Server OS version: 6.9.2 based on slackware?

Please don’t let the cat out of the bag, but we are in unix dependent system.. EDGE?

Firefox an Chrome same results, no descriptions on all cards

Please

Edited by utentep2p

Hi, thanks for the new update !
Some changes are great, others are understable, but I'm wondering : is there other people affected by a longer charging page when clicking on the "apps" page ? It takes 15 seconds to show the apps on my side.

I've already re-install the Community Apps plugin and clean the Firefox cache.

31 minutes ago, kmizeta said:

Hi, installed last version 2021.10.17a on unRaid 6.9.2, and the ability to look and install apps from docker hub it's broken (there is a docker hub link, but opens in a new window).

How can I rollback?

Thanks

On 10/17/2021 at 7:38 AM, Squid said:
  • DockerHub searches (or more to the point, a GUI for searches) are removed.
    • When this feature was originally introduced in 2015, CA was able to determine the dockerfile from the dockerHub search results and was able to create a template that (in theory) contained all the the environment variables, paths, and ports that the container required to operate.
    • In and around October 2018, a change at dockerHub meant that CA was no longer able to analyze the dockerfile to determine the required entries.  Effectively this meant that since Oct 2018, each and every dockerHub search has necessitated the user having to visit the dockerHub page to manually determine the required entries and then add them to the template themselves, as effectively the template CA generated was a blank template with only the repository entry filled out.
    • Because of the necessity of going to dockerHub anyways (and that many users probably wouldn't and then would be surprised as to why the CA generated template wouldn't give you a functioning app), CA is now going to force you to go to the dockerHub page.  IE: each and every search on dockerHub now simply takes you to a dockerHub search results page and you can then determine the appropriate entries for the template when you hit "Add Template" on the docker tab
    • I do recommend that you delete the contents of /config/plugins/community.applications/private/dockerHub on the flash drive if it's present, as the templates which are stored in there are basically blank templates.  Any reinstalls etc of dockerHub conversions will not be impacted by deleting this folder

I'm now forcing you to go to dockerHub.

18 minutes ago, koala784 said:

Some changes are great, others are understable, but I'm wondering : is there other people affected by a longer charging page when clicking on the "apps" page ? It takes 15 seconds to show the apps on my side.

Startup time is mostly reflected by your internet speed with one exception.  If the drive container your docker.img (or folder) happens to be spun down.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:38 AM, Squid said:
  • Check is done at initialization to see if the docker image is full or mounted read-only.  CA will not be usable until either Docker is disabled or the problem is rectified.

I can't stand any PHP errors appearing within CA ever, but unfortunately the OS isn't as hardened against this time of error, and in the case of a failure of this test previously, PHP errors would appearing throughout CA (and on the DockerTab)

4 hours ago, utentep2p said:

At the beginnin, thanks for all the work.. but:

Using 'EDGE' on a unRAID Server OS version: 6.9.2 based on slackware?

Please don’t let the cat out of the bag, but we are in unix dependent system.. EDGE?

Firefox an Chrome same results, no descriptions on all cards

Please

Descriptions have nothing to do with the issue being discussed affecting one or two users and firefox.

16 hours ago, Squid said:

Next release will have the option to enable descriptions on all cards

17 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

With the new release, I miss being able to sort by recent updates. I would use that to check out things still being maintained that I have no heard of before.

Sort by updates is / was pretty much meaningless except for plugins.

The "Update Available" within the docker tab bore no relationship to whether or not the template used for CA had the date of the last update updated accordingly.  Especially with the major contributors having their containers set up to automatically build as new versions of the app itself came available or for security reasons, or every Friday rain or shine, the templates were never upgraded to reflect that.  

The only "true" measure of whether the container is still maintained / updated on a regular basis is to go to the Registry (support drop down on the info panel) and look at the dates on the Tags on the dockerHub.

17 hours ago, bluegizmo83 said:

Just gonna say it... I'm not a fan of the new CA GUI look and layout. I don't like that you have to click an "Info" button now on every app to see a description of the app. 👎

Agreed, UI redesign is not at all friendly.  Removal of the trending apps and new, newly released kind of takes away the benefit of using the CA plugin.

44 minutes ago, Brad McConnell said:

Removal of the trending apps and new, newly released kind of takes away the benefit of using the CA plugin

They're not removed, merely consolidated and one click away from the entire list (which would have taken much more than 1 click on the old system).

But, yes depending upon your browser width, you may only see 2-3 apps show up in each section without clicking SHOW MORE

7 minutes ago, Squid said:

They're not removed, merely consolidated and one click away from the entire list (which would have taken much more than 1 click on the old system).

But, yes depending upon your browser width, you may only see 2-3 apps show up in each section without clicking SHOW MORE

On the old system, I didn't have to go into each category to see.  I may be using the wrong terminology/phrasing but before I believe there was a new apps section and a trending apps section (regardless of category) and that's what I'm trying to reference.  Regardless of browser width, I don't seem to get more than 4 across (even maximizing a browser on a 4k display).  Looks like by default I get 18 per screen without paging.

1 minute ago, Brad McConnell said:

Regardless of browser width, I don't seem to get more than 4 across (even maximizing a browser on a 4k display)

Install the unlimited width plugin.  Pet peeve of mine that without that installed the OS has a limitation of 1920 px across

2 minutes ago, Brad McConnell said:

I believe there was a new apps section and a trending apps section

It's All there on the home page.  New Apps, Spotlighted, Trending, Top New Installs, Random.

3 minutes ago, Brad McConnell said:

Looks like by default I get 18 per screen without paging.

It's already on my whiteboard to make that selectable

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

Install the unlimited width plugin.  Pet peeve of mine that without that installed the OS has a limitation of 1920 px across

It's All there on the home page.  New Apps, Spotlighted, Trending, Top New Installs, Random.

Thank you - how in the world is this not a default?  That resolved the width issue.

Regarding "Home" fair enough - I just have to adjust muscle memory to not look for the same categories on the left hand pane.

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

It's already on my whiteboard to make that selectable

Noted, and saw that previously.  I understand the simplicity side of the UI, but at the same time - the App stores tend to be a bit more descriptive than 3 letter acronyms for some obscure open source project that may be world changing.  I liked being able to see a highlight of the description beyond the dev and the repository.  For instance, using the Home as an example, Spotlight Apps have up to two lines of description.  My opinion - Top Trending and Top New Installs should show that same snippet of information.

Thank you for your time!

10 hours ago, Squid said:

10 hours ago, koala784 said:

Startup time is mostly reflected by your internet speed with one exception.  If the drive container your docker.img (or folder) happens to be spun down.

I can't stand any PHP errors appearing within CA ever, but unfortunately the OS isn't as hardened against this time of error, and in the case of a failure of this test previously, PHP errors would appearing throughout CA (and on the DockerTab)

My internet speed is pretty good and stable, visible on the screenshot below.
And my docker.img is on a NVME SSD set as cache so it's not spun down, there is something else.
Also, I've been using UnRAID for at least two years, and I've never seen the apps page being slow more than 2 seconds, before this update

But I'm surprised no one else have reported this yet

Stats.png

Edited by koala784
Initial post added
20 hours ago, Squid said:

That’s interesting if only because it says where the problem isn’t.   CA’s diagnostics are a pain to get at if the spinner doesn’t disappear so tomorrow I’ll issue an update to rectify that and we’ll see where the issue lies.   In the meantime I’m curious though what happens if you load up CA in edge and then immediately try it again in Firefox.

Pulling it up in Edge and then immediately in Firefox still hangs the FF tab.  However, if I click "Stop" on this prompt

image.png.e1906513222f45ce833992c0af01b81e.png

it loads the page half-way, but the spinner still keeps spinning and I can't interact with the rest of the page:

image.thumb.png.de43f1d189aac8ae3e5d4ca5d524a94b.png

I can then go to Inspector:

image.thumb.png.5419a39cb63893c764cf0a98a9f5d8f7.png

I compared it to inspector in Edge:

image.thumb.png.79032ba67be52c90e87b83269e6a0015.png

There are WAY more "dropdown-menu" ULs in FF:

image.thumb.png.8b51d89a23b5fcc134107f92cb34d969.png

I really wish you hadn't removed the Docker Hub integration. I realize the templates were pretty bare-bones but it at least filled out the name, description, repository etc. making it a lot faster than going to the Docker page, manually adding a container and starting with a completely blank template.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, koala784 said:

My internet speed is pretty good and stable, visible on the screenshot below.
And my docker.img is on a NVME SSD set as cache so it's not spun down, there is something else.
Also, I've been using UnRAID for at least two years, and I've never seen the apps page being slow more than 2 seconds, before this update

But I'm surprised no one else have reported this yet

Stats.png

I am seeing the same. CA used to load in a couple of seconds, now it takes 18 seconds. Nearly as long as the Plugin page which has always been slow. This is in Unraid 6.9.2. Also on a 1Gb connection using SSD.