[Plug-In] Community Applications

Be prepared!  You never know when you might have to dispose of a body

Enhanced: Better logging.  (Syslogs will now give reasons for why shares do not appear in the available shares for backup sources)

Enhanced: Optional  saving (and appending) of logs to the flash drive

Fixed: Suppress errors on autoupdate screen if plugin doesn't have a readme

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits

Added in dated backups for appdata.  If selected, everytime the backup runs, a completely new set is created in a sub folder off of the destination share you've set.

Can be useful if your appdata is fairly small, but if you've got a large plex library, its not going to be a great option as it has to do a full backup every time instead of an incremental one.  Would be nicer with rolling backup sets (eg set 1, 2, 3 and it just cycles backups into them on a schedule), but that's something I'll have to revisit again in the future.

When doing a restore, there's a drop down that will show the available folders (ie: backups) prior to pushing the restore button.

when i try installing, i get this...what could be going wrong?

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/community.applications/master/plugins/community

plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/community.applications/master/plugins/community

plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/community.applications/master/plugins/community ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)

plugin: wget: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/community.applications/master/plugins/community download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

UPDATE:

never mind...in that original post the URL was not displayed in its entirety in my browser, and hence couldn't find the actual plg file...the correct one is:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/community.applications/master/plugins/community.applications.plg

and allowed me to get it installed now.

my bad!

Since we can now backup into dated folders, can we get a options to keep the last X number of dated folders and removed the rest?

Thanks

Myk

Thanks.  Far easier solution than using rotating backup sets.  Give me a couple of days.

Request:

When viewing installed apps - how about a link somewhere that will open a pop up with a plain txt version of the current template settings?

Would be much easier for support to paste plain txt vs making screen shots of the template settings....

?

Thanks

Myk

Request:

When viewing installed apps - how about a link somewhere that will open a pop up with a plain txt version of the current template settings?

Would be much easier for support to paste plain txt vs making screen shots of the template settings....

?

Thanks

Myk

Why would you need to make a screenshot of the settings?

For support reasons - just had a docker author ask for config/template settings and needed to make 3 screen shots as there were many items on the list.  Pasting the raw XML is hard to read and takes up more space than just "VARIABLE /config = /mnt/cache/appdata/etc"

A simple text paste for new users would be much easier

Just a thought

Myk

Hey Squid, do you know that your Community Applications doesn't work in China.

It won't populate the list.  Keeps searching and finding nothing.

Google is blocked in China.  Is that possibly what is wrong?

Not much I can do about that.  It has to populate the list of apps from linuxserver.io , and failing that it downloads from GitHub  If the great firewall blocks both of them then you're going to be SOL unless you can bypass the firewall somehow (or move)

Yeah.  You need the .plg and the latest txz that's there.  But that won't help with CA as it requires you to be able to gain access.  I might be able to get you access to CA data files without downloading but I'd have to look at the code tonight

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Yeah.  You need the .plg and the latest txz that's there.  But that won't help with CA as it requires you to be able to gain access.  I might be able to get you access to CA data files without downloading but I'd have to look at the code tonight

Don't sweat it tonight, but a more long solution for China would be nice to find.  How can we make it work?

I doubt linuxserver.io is blocked, but it might be.  It is not, but it is painfully slow to come up.

Don't sweat it tonight, but a more long solution for China would be nice to find.  How can we make it work?

I doubt linuxserver.io is blocked, but it might be.  It is not, but it is painfully slow to come up.

The website it needs to hit is listed in the OP within the changelog (many thanks to Kode) 

Ball park figures:  how long does it take to load this page:  http://tools.linuxserver.io/unraid-docker-templates.json

Does your browser spend most of the time "looking up tools.linuxserver.io" or is it the actual download of the file (chrome IIRC shows that at the bottom when its trying to look stuff up, but its hard to replicate when I've got zero problems)

Since CA is 100% dependent upon a valid downloads from either linuxserver or GitHub, I'll add a couple of "tunables" to the settings which will let you play around with the timeouts for negotiating a connection, and timeouts on the actual downloads.  I was planning on pumping out another update to CA for some backup things this weekend, so I'll make a note and do that at the same time.

Ball park figures:  how long does it take to load this page:  http://tools.linuxserver.io/unraid-docker-templates.json

Sometimes less than 10 seconds and sometimes it takes minutes, and sometimes it times out.  Not a lot of help I'm afraid.  Sorry.

Bottom line, the reliability of the greater World Wide Web to interact with the China web, is not good. 

The normal reaction from Chinese, when encountering these issues.  "Oh, that is a slow foreign website" when in reality it is the Great Firewall that is to blame.

Bottom line, the reliability of the greater World Wide Web to interact with the China web, is not good. 

Even though http://tools.linuxserver.io/unraid-docker-templates.json

is available today

Here is what I'm getting today in China.  An endless search in

http://tower/Apps

Total Found: Searching... 

Download of appfeed failed. Reverting to legacy mode

Download of source file has failed

I'm sure that tomorrow it will be different.

Since you have an way to backup appdata files, what about a way to also backup the usb drive? With the ability to have multiple dated backups.

This would be awsome, an easy way for people to backup the flash drive.

This would be great and VM's :)

(I know VM's is not really a part of this but Flash backup would be great)

Since you have an way to backup appdata files, what about a way to also backup the usb drive? With the ability to have multiple dated backups.

In order to correctly backup the flash drive it is necessary to actually stop the array since the started/stopped status is part of the super.dat file and restoring a backup that shows the array was not stopped will result in an automatic correcting parity check due to unclean shutdown.

Also, users need to be aware that restoring a flash backup that does not have the correct and current disk assignments can result in data loss.

In order to correctly backup the flash drive it is necessary to actually stop the array since the started/stopped status is part of the super.dat file and restoring a backup that shows the array was not stopped will result in an automatic correcting parity check due to unclean shutdown.

Also, users need to be aware that restoring a flash backup that does not have the correct and current disk assignments can result in data loss.

Which is why I don't really want to go there with this plugin, beyond the fact that:

- Its nothing to actually back it up yourself as there are zero permission issues and it takes maybe 5 seconds

- Has nothing to do with applications

Don't want to go there either, as

- I don't particularly run VMs

- If the VM doesn't shut down correctly, then a force shutdown could possibly corrupt the VM

That being said, VM's were what I actually originally had in mind when I put in the provisions for the Stop / Start scripts.  Using those, you can create a script to stop any VM, copy its img file, and then restart it.  The same can be done easily for the flash drive.