[Plug-In] Community Applications

Is it possible to delete un-needed backups? I don't know if it really matters or not. Didn't look to see how big it was.

Just had the same scenario...

I ssh or telnet to the app data backup directory and use

sudo rm -rf foldername

FYI foldername is case sensitive and pay attention to what you're doing. It is irreversible and very powerful when accompanied with sudo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Actually, I didn't have to use sudo. Just logged in as root (telnet) and ran-

rm -rf /mnt/diskX/path/to/folder

X=disk number

Is it possible to delete un-needed backups? I don't know if it really matters or not. Didn't look to see how big it was.

Just had the same scenario...

I ssh or telnet to the app data backup directory and use

sudo rm -rf foldername

FYI foldername is case sensitive and pay attention to what you're doing. It is irreversible and very powerful when accompanied with sudo.

Thanks.

Actually, I didn't have to use sudo. Just logged in as root (telnet) and ran-

rm -rf /mnt/diskX/path/to/folder

X=disk number

Was gonna say sudo is probably not needed but it is in some cases so if I'm confident I'm running the command in the right spot I include it so I don't have to run the command again with it.

I'm not a guru by any means but I get by pretty well. There may be a way to tell if you're in a directory where it is needed. I just don't know.

And, there's going to not be any sort of remote backup (ie: FTP).  CA Backup is and will remain a specialized backup solution for a specific problem, and its not going to evolve into a general backup system.  (Why its part of the CA banner - Although you could use it to keep 2 servers in sync by manually editing its configuration file. -> hint hint)

Was not thinking of a general backup solution - I just thought it might be easier for a user to grab their flash backup from a FTP location if they have it, vs installing a trial version 1st to get access to the array to get at the flash backup off of.....

I will just make a cron then and send it to a btsync or dropbox folder so it gets to my desktop and/or laptop

And, there's going to not be any sort of remote backup (ie: FTP).  CA Backup is and will remain a specialized backup solution for a specific problem, and its not going to evolve into a general backup system.  (Why its part of the CA banner - Although you could use it to keep 2 servers in sync by manually editing its configuration file. -> hint hint)

Was not thinking of a general backup solution - I just thought it might be easier for a user to grab their flash backup from a FTP location if they have it, vs installing a trial version 1st to get access to the array to get at the flash backup off of.....

I will just make a cron then and send it to a btsync or dropbox folder so it gets to my desktop and/or laptop

Maybe I came off a bit wrong then...  The whole "not a general purpose backup thingy" is my standard defence against things.  In this case, I do see the positives involved, but to be quite honest, while I can use filezilla, the underlying protocol involved I know less than nothing about and just don't want to start something like that.

Future (prob week or so -> or as CHBMB would state it'll be tomorrow), separate destinations for flash backups are forthcoming.  Piggy-backing accomplished two things:

#1 - dirt easy to accomplish, and fixes what I think of the biggest problem with restores -> the plugins folder (in particular dockerMan).  Like everything else, CA / FCP / Scripts does what I want it to do first, and everything else comes after....

#2 - (primary reason) it justified another update to CA without having CHBMB laugh his head off at me over the 25k vs 25l thing  ;D 

Not a Linux guy but I don't think sudo is ever needed with unraid since you're always running as root

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

You may be right although I've had some minecraft files that were stubborn and I needed sudo to run the nano command to edit config files in minecraft server and owncloud.

Maybe it's the nano command or maybe it's my setup. As long as it works and I don't have to bother y'all.

I'll pay closer attention next time or try without it.

Y'all is a staple in south Louisiana.

"Not a Linux guy" LOL

Whatever you tag yourself as you are a great contributor to this community. CA has made my confusion and self guessing practically disappear.

Contributions I have used from you and CHBMB, trurl, gfjardim, speeding_ant, lsio have made my server what it is today. A piece of electronics I can't go without. Keep as many updates coming as you can. I'll give you only up to 25zz though.

Not a Linux guy but I don't think sudo is ever needed with unraid since you're always running as root

The only time it sould be needed on unRAID is if you wanted to run a command as the user nobody so that it is done the same way as across the network.  For instance if you wanted to run MC as the user nobody: "sudo -u nobody mc".

The only time it sould be needed on unRAID is if you wanted to run a command as the user nobody so that it is done the same way as across the network.  For instance if you wanted to run MC as the user nobody: "sudo -u nobody mc".

Awesome. Learn something new everyday.  I always thought of sudo as raising permissions not lowering them or running as another user Thanks

Awesome. Learn something new everyday.  I always thought of sudo as raising permissions not lowering them or running as another user

Correct. It would be different if unRAID ever addresses the security concerns, but in the mean time you can even surf the net using the highest permissions possible (root) in the unraid-gui of 6.2 series.

Awesome. Learn something new everyday.  I always thought of sudo as raising permissions not lowering them or running as another user

Correct. It would be different if unRAID ever addresses the security concerns, but in the mean time you can even surf the net using the highest permissions possible (root) in the unraid-gui of 6.2 series.

Maybe when they no longer phone home on the betas they will get rid of internet access from the unRAID GUI?

I've apparently interpreted it wrong but I've always looked at sudo as the big godfather boss. Kind of like I'm in charge, "SUPER USER DO what I say. Pie Yow!" No matter what it will execute said command.

Edit: That's french.

Only in Louisiana. 

My last name is Meaux like in my ID.

It's funny how people will pronounce Geaux Tigers or Geaux Saints or the last name Boudreaux and Breaux but they see my last name and its Mee-Ox or May-Eww.

My wife and I are just known as Moe and Lil-Moe.

Maybe when they no longer phone home on the betas they will get rid of internet access from the unRAID GUI?

Tbh I don't see that.  Maybe not running as root perhaps.  The problem is that people have the misunderstanding that one computer can take the place of all of them.  All well and good and it is a true statement.  Until you get to the point that there's a problem and none of your vms work because of trouble with the server.  Now you're in the situation of how do I access the gui when I don't own a phone, tablet, or other computer (and its happened at least once here) hence Firefox being included.

It's funny how people will pronounce Geaux Tigers or Geaux Saints or the last name Boudreaux and Breaux but they see my last name and its Mee-Ox or May-Eww.

Probably because I'm Canadian, but that thought never even crossed my mind.  (Although I was out for dinner with my Boss in Montreal, and after we order he says to the waitress "Mercy Buckets" and laughed.  Had to fake an illness to get out of eating the food that I'm sure would have been poisoned)

- Added in automatic boot flash drive backup

Due to its minimal size, flash drive backup is automatic not optional.  A new folder will created (and updated every time) the backup process runs called Community_Applications_USB_Backup, without the config/super.dat file.

I'm specifically excluding the super.dat file due to the risks involved in restoring it should the drive configuration change in between backups.  If you want the system to keep track of super.dat, then back it up yourself, because CA is not going to put itself into a position that can potentially cause major data loss by backing up a super.dat (and having you restore it yourself).

Great addition!

I'd like to request though that you do add the super.dat file to the backup, but rename it.  Often, it's the one and only file that's needed from the backup.  If it's renamed, it has to be a conscious thought-out decision to use it, won't be automatically used.

Another idea, since the single biggest risk of the wrong super.dat is a parity drive change, why not rename the super.dat to include the model and serial of the parity drive (e.g. super.paritymodel_serial.parity2model_serial.dat).  At a glance, the user will probably know if it's OK to use.  While a slot change for a data drive or a drive addition is an important change, neither should cause data loss, and should be apparent on first array start, if it even can start.  A parity drive mistake however can be disastrous, and may not be immediately apparent.

I also like the idea above to create a text file with the current drive configuration, name it something like superdat.txt?

I assume that at some point, you'll add the ability to configure the flash backup destination path?

Done.

Stored within the backup is now config/DISK ASSIGNMENTS.txt (Dos formatted text file with all of the disks, their assignments, and the current unRaid status of them

super.dat is now renamed to be super.dat.CA_BACKUP

Stored within the backup is now config/DISK ASSIGNMENTS.txt (Dos formatted text file with all of the disks, their assignments, and the current unRaid status of them

Nice!  Anyone with a zero byte super.dat will especially appreciate it.

Still no separate destination though, so ultimately you have to start the array (and therefore assign at least one disk) to get at the assignments (if you don't print them out), but my new routine seems to be bouncing back and forth between plugs now.

Still no separate destination though, so ultimately you have to start the array (and therefore assign at least one disk) to get at the assignments (if you don't print them out), but my new routine seems to be bouncing back and forth between plugs now.

Would be nice to have that file on the flash drive!  ;)

Would be nice to have that file on the flash drive!  ;)

When CHBMB starts laughing at me, I'm blaming you  ;)

<CHANGES>
###2016.06.29a###
- Because RobJ wants perfection 

###2016.06.29###
- Backup Disk Assignments and super.dat (renamed) as part of USB backup

Tbh I don't see that.  Maybe not running as root perhaps.  The problem is that people have the misunderstanding that one computer can take the place of all of them.  All well and good and it is a true statement.  Until you get to the point that there's a problem and none of your vms work because of trouble with the server.  Now you're in the situation of how do I access the gui when I don't own a phone, tablet, or other computer (and its happened at least once here) hence Firefox being included.

They can't stop browsing IP addresses outside the network and leave the GUI running as Root?

37d029d73be1f55a8bd1990783612404.jpg

- Support separate destination for flash drive backups

- Support <BaseImage> in XML templates (by request) (for those cases where developers still want the base image to display under the full information popup, but the application feed is unable to determine the base image)

Flash drive backup defaults to the same behavior as before (backed up within the appdata backup destination), but now can be set to a separate destination.

In practice, what this means is that you can set it to an SMB share mounted via Unassigned Devices that's hosted on a different computer.  Advantages of this is that since the backup is no longer stored on the array, you can manually restore the backup onto the new flash (after MAKE_BOOTABLE), look at config/DISK_ASSIGNMENTS.txt and set up the assignments directly.  If the backup is stored on the array, you've got to first assign all of the drives before you can even get to the backup

Thanks RobJ for an excellent idea.

EDIT: And to drive home the point again, ALL FILES WITHIN THE BACKUP DESTINATIONS CAN BE DELETED WHEN A BACKUP RUNS.  ONLY USE A SHARE / DESTINATION SPECIFICALLY FOR THE BACKUP.  IF YOU DELETE YOUR ENTIRE MEDIA COLLECTION BECAUSE OF A WRONG SETTING, ITS NOT MY PROBLEM  That being said, I did take some precautions.  You're not allowed to set a destination of /mnt/disk1 or /mnt/cache or /mnt/user, etc for the USB backup.  USB Backup (when on a separate destination) cannot be a sub folder of the appdata backup destination, etc