[Plug-In] Community Applications

An update for Dynamix webUI is / was being offered up to 6.1.9 users without updating to 6.2

Unfortunately, this update is incompatible with 6.1.9 (its the 6.2 webUI).  You will need to disable auto-updates on the dynamix webUI.

I would offer up a CA update to try and mitigate this problem, but most users would get the CA update through auto-updates, at which point the UI is going to update itself to, so there's no much point.

Man I got hit with this.  Scared the crap out of me to find a fix since nothing would start up after this update.  Fixed it now.

Yeah, since everything was working properly under 6.2 beta/rc (with it not upgrading 6.1.9), everyone involved assumed there wouldn't be an issue with 6.2 final.  But there was another change to the infrastructure of the 6.1.9 release that caused a snowball effect.  Fixes are already being implemented to prevent it from ever happening again in the future. 

There is none... Never particularly thought it was a big deal.  Just filled up the empty screen.  I can add it in should you choose

I have been looking for this as well.  If the majority don't care then I will have to live with it, but I've been trying to turn it off since it started showing up.

Go to general settings and you can turn it off

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hello, People

Is there any wisdom around moving to Community Applications before or after upgrading to 6.2?  Does it even matter?  Up until now I have been using the traditional Docker pointers to repositories like SparklyBalls.  I plan to start using some of the less conservative containers and was figuring it was a good tome to start using CAs to do it.

Thank You

Fundamentally CA doesn't do anything that can't be done via the base system and surfing the all applications thread. 

But it does it a ton better with far less agravation. 

The way that I look at it is even limetech in the 6.2 manual tells you to install CA if you want to run anything other than what's available from limetech themselves.

Additionally CA will handle things like backups etc that can't be done easily without it.

But then again, I'm also very biased here. ????

... I'm also very biased here. ????

Sometimes there are two sides to a question and they both deserve equal consideration. And sometimes one side is just true and the other side is just nuts. It's OK to be biased for the truth.

Well said!

+6.2

Thanks guys,  you brought a tear to my eye 

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Hello, Biased! 

;)  I installed it.  I really like how this was designed.  Especially the fact that a guide, not just a pointer to a forum, is available.  I learn interesting stuff in a forum, but it tends to be overwhelming when you have to use one as a user guide (especially after a few pages).  Your guide quickly answered questions I was confused by.  I hope more people to do so.  Let me also add how much I appreciate the general effort people are making in putting newbie friendly descriptions to the applications. 

Good job all around

Thank You!

Fundamentally CA doesn't do anything that can't be done via the base system and surfing the all applications thread. 

The way that I look at it is even limetech in the 6.2 manual tells you to install CA if you want to run anything other than what's available from limetech themselves.

Additionally CA will handle things like backups etc that can't be done easily without it.

Hello, Biased! 

;)  I installed it.  I really like how this was designed.  Especially the fact that a guide, not just a pointer to a forum, is available.  I learn interesting stuff in a forum, but it tends to be overwhelming when you have to use one as a user guide (especially after a few pages).  Your guide quickly answered questions I was confused by.  I hope more people to do so.  Let me also add how much I appreciate the general effort people are making in putting newbie friendly descriptions to the applications. 

Good job all around

Thank You!

Thanks.  I completely have up on help text which is what other authors use as there was just too much going on. And since damn near everything on the screen will do something if you click on it needed something else

My thanks to the people who helped you put this all together.  Great job all the way around. :):D

Thanks.  I completely have up on help text which is what other authors use as there was just too much going on. And since damn near everything on the screen will do something if you click on it needed something else

In no particular order, (and hopefully not missing anyone)

Gfjardim for a basic framework (which is no longer used)

Kode for the application feed

Linuxserver.io - hosting the Appfeed

Bonienl - additional contributions and telling me when I'm doing something wrong

Eschultz - additional contributions

The authors of unraid's docker manager which made everything so much easier

CHBMB - beta tester

Sparklyballs - my nemesis

Moosehead - sustenance

Stompin Tom Connors - entertainment

But most importantly all of the template and plugin authors without which CA Would be completely pointless.

Not to mention all the users of CA.

(and a VERY understanding wife who let's me spend as much time as I do playing around with CA )

In no particular order, (and hopefully not missing anyone)

Gfjardim for a basic framework (which is no longer used)

Kode for the application feed

Linuxserver.io - hosting the Appfeed

Bonienl - additional contributions and telling me when I'm doing something wrong

Eschultz - additional contributions

The authors of unraid's docker manager which made everything so much easier

CHBMB - beta tester

Sparklyballs - my nemesis

Moosehead - sustenance

Stompin Tom Connors - entertainment

But most importantly all of the template and plugin authors without which CA Would be completely pointless.

Not to mention all the users of CA.

(and a VERY understanding wife who let's me spend as much time as I do playing around with CA )

Sounds like the wife is a keeper.  Don't mess up.

While you're watering the plants, a new feature to consider ...

I have to admit the red error notifications are irking me some, informing me that a new plugin upgrade has not been performed.  No need to go into it again, but I really feel this is wrong, as I'm rather sure that practically all veteran computer professionals turn off immediate auto updates, and wait a bit before deciding to upgrade.  I don't need to bring up a recent auto-update that caused so much trouble.  Even with the best of intentions and the best developers, stuff happens.

I was thinking about it, and suddenly realized I would be fine with an auto update after a satisfactory interval, and if I had been fully notified.  I would want:

* full notifications about the update

* a long enough delay to feel a sufficient number of other users had tested it

* a long enough delay that the author had had time to pull it if needed

* a long enough delay for me to check change logs and decide if I want to block the update

I'm not positive what a good delay would be, but something in the range of 2 to 7 days seems good, with a default of 3 days (72 hours).  I would possibly pick 3 days, but more likely 5 days.  Because updates often happen in clusters, I would want the clock to reset with each update that arrived before the previous delay was up.

So the feature suggestion is:  add a third option to the CA Auto Update Settings per app - "AutoUpdate", "Don't Auto Update", and "Delayed Auto Update".  Add a configuration option for "Auto Update Delay (in days)", with default value of 3 days or 5 days.

Then change Fix Common Problems to check for "Delayed Auto Update", check whether the delay period is up, and only issue an Informational, not a Warning or Error, if a plugin is set to Delayed update and the delay interval is not over.  I think this would satisfy many of us.

One complication for me is that my server is often turned off for weeks at a time.  Since I may not have received any notifications before the delay is up, I would prefer to have a chance to check first, before auto updates are performed.  My case is probably not common, but it would be nice to have an additional internal check that notifications have been sent, before performing upgrades on the next run.  I have it set to run daily, so that would give me one extra day, better than nothing.

I have to admit the red error notifications are irking me some, informing me that a new plugin upgrade has not been performed.

Cross over into FCP territory.  CA sends out no notifications on updates available (and selectable whether it notifies that it installed one).  FCP you can ignore the warning if you choose and you won't be notified, and its disableable within dynamix to send out notifications on plugin updates also.

Even with the best of intentions and the best developers, stuff happens.

True enough.  M$ has in the past taken out large numbers of people computers with an update, and in this case, one small itsy bitsy change by LT without my knowledge started a snowball effect.  Luckily both parties have learned from this and implemented changes to the update system as a whole

I was thinking about it, and suddenly realized I would be fine with an auto update after a satisfactory interval, and if I had been fully notified.  I would want:

* full notifications about the update

Dynamix will do this already.

* a long enough delay to feel a sufficient number of other users had tested it

* a long enough delay that the author had had time to pull it if needed

* a long enough delay for me to check change logs and decide if I want to block the update

I'm not positive what a good delay would be, but something in the range of 2 to 7 days seems good, with a default of 3 days (72 hours).  I would possibly pick 3 days, but more likely 5 days.  Because updates often happen in clusters, I would want the clock to reset with each update that arrived before the previous delay was up.

So the feature suggestion is:  add a third option to the CA Auto Update Settings per app - "AutoUpdate", "Don't Auto Update", and "Delayed Auto Update".  Add a configuration option for "Auto Update Delay (in days)", with default value of 3 days or 5 days.

Not a big deal to implement this.

Then change Fix Common Problems to check for "Delayed Auto Update", check whether the delay period is up, and only issue an Informational, not a Warning or Error, if a plugin is set to Delayed update and the delay interval is not over.  I think this would satisfy many of us.

Once again not a big deal.

Auto-updates have their place in the world, and the world as a whole is moving towards it regardless of the platform.  CA by default only has and only ever will (but you can still disable this) update itself and FCP.  CA I highly recommend autoupdates enabled for it, simply because it is still a large moving target and constantly moving ahead either weekly or daily.  FCP not so much, but since it's my plugin, I can choose whatever I feel is correct for it  8)

Autoupdating applications is not my "ideology".  It is merely a convenience for users to decide for themselves to take advantage of it or not.

Is there a way to get plugins that I manually installed that are available in CA to show in the installed page of CA?

I installed several of phaze's plugins manually before trying out CA (great job btw). They're all available in CA but they don't show up in the installed apps page since they weren't installed by CA. It does show settings instead of install plugin next to them so it seems detects them to a degree somehow. I could remove them all and then reinstall through CA but I wanted to see if there was a way that was easier.

Thanks for the great app

Is there a way to get plugins that I manually installed that are available in CA to show in the installed page of CA?

I installed several of phaze's plugins manually before trying out CA (great job btw). They're all available in CA but they don't show up in the installed apps page since they weren't installed by CA. It does show settings instead of install plugin next to them so it seems detects them to a degree somehow. I could remove them all and then reinstall through CA but I wanted to see if there was a way that was easier.

Thanks for the great app

It actually will.  IE: CA doesn't care how you install a plugin or a docker app.  But, you just ran across an "issue" which I just found the other day (I accidentally wound up installing one of his plugins) and is on my to-do list.  (And thus far, it seems to be just PhAzE's plugins affected)

Namely, CA checks the URL of the plugin to figure out the application it refers to.

The application feed for his plugins lists the URLs as https://raw.githubusercontent.com/.....

The plugin file lists the URL as https://github.com/....

On installation, it doesn't matter as the github.com is automatically redirected to raw.githubusercontent.com, but CA misses that the plugin is installed (whether its installed via CA or not).  (But funny enough, CA does know if you uninstall it to put it into the Previous Apps section...

EDIT: technically, its the plg file that listing the incorrect URL, as its url is the one subject to redirection, but I'll account for it in CA. 

EDIT2: FCP recognizes PhAzE's plugins, but on a check of the coding, FCP is a more relaxed test to determine the plugin, and I'll have to fix that in the future.

Thanks for the info. I've had it like this for 7 months and just now got around to asking about it so I'm in no hurry.

I'm not sure if this would be for CA or for bonienl to add to the main dynamix webgui as I don't know how the autoupdate works with the main webgui. But would implementing an auto plg file backup on update be a possible CA feature? One of the things I like about phaze's plugins is when you update them they automatically save the old version to pluginname.plg.old so you can easily roll back if needed. As of now I don't use the auto update feature because of issues in the past of having to roll back plugins. I'd have no issues turning it on if I could hit a button to rollback the plugin.

Thanks again

Thanks for the info. I've had it like this for 7 months and just now got around to asking about it so I'm in no hurry.

I'm not sure if this would be for CA or for bonienl to add to the main dynamix webgui as I don't know how the autoupdate works with the main webgui. But would implementing an auto plg file backup on update be a possible CA feature? One of the things I like about phaze's plugins is when you update them they automatically save the old version to pluginname.plg.old so you can easily roll back if needed. As of now I don't use the auto update feature because of issues in the past of having to roll back plugins. I'd have no issues turning it on if I could hit a button to rollback the plugin.

Thanks again

I can easily implement a backup feature like that (good idea), but only with regards to autoupdates.  Updating the plugin through the plugins tab I have zero control over.

Ideally, something like this should be done within the plugin manager itself, but I'll pop in the code to see if it gets any traction.

Thanks.

Wasn't sure if a plugin auto updated through CA but the main plugin manager handled the saved backups if backups would still get saved or if CA goes through the plugin manager or what. So wasn't sure if you'd have to do anything to CA to make it work with auto updates. Thought I'd ask :) I'll make a request for it in the LT feature request forum to be added to the plugin manager also.

CA even with User Scripts installed doesn't support hidden .apps folder for Backup/Restore correct?

I've been using .apps since v5 with no issues stuck with it on v6.2 as well. I like using .apps that way family members on my network can't accidentally delete config and folders.

If CA doesn't support hidden .apps I guess I will do manual backups via FileZilla.

CA even with User Scripts installed doesn't support hidden .apps folder for Backup/Restore correct?

I've been using .apps since v5 with no issues stuck with it on v6.2 as well. I like using .apps that way family members on my network can't accidentally delete config and folders.

If CA doesn't support hidden .apps I guess I will do manual backups via FileZilla.

Hidden folders do show up in the list for both source and destination