[Plug-In] Community Applications

5 minutes ago, coppit said:

Maybe if the feed can't be reached, issue a warning but let people use the cached app list?

A button appears called Legacy Mode (top right) which will let you use CA  (The note is there on the screen telling you the feed failed).  Reason CA doesn't automatically fall back is the majority of times the problem is on the user's end (DNS settings, etc) and I'd far rather have them fix that than have Legacy active, since Legacy will take ~30-60 seconds ish to start up (and if you have a really crappy internet speed, then it could take minutes and after 2 minutes, mginx in 6.4+ will automatically time out).  All vs appFeed mode which will take worst case ~10 seconds to get things running

Edited by Squid
1 minute ago, Deazo said:

I have a slow internet connection

Getting Legacy Mode to work on a slow internet connection (where it takes more than 2 minutes to do its thing) is on the to-do list.  It just doesn't come up very often that legacy mode is even required (but it is there for this eventuality), and combined with a slow internet.

If it takes longer than two minutes, the "Updating" screen will never disappear, but it still does the thing in the background.  Give it say 10 minutes, then just reload the page and you're in business

Hi,

I'm suddenly having connection problems with my CA plugin on my Unraid server.  When I click on the Apps menu button, the system hangs for a minute or so before producing the following error:

Download of appfeed failed.

Community Applications requires your server to have internet access. The most common cause of this failure is a failure to resolve DNS addresses. You can try and reset your modem and router to fix this issue, or set static DNS addresses (Settings - Network Settings) of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and try again.

Alternatively, there is also a chance that the server handling the application feed is temporarily down. Switching CA to operate in Legacy Mode might temporarily allow you to still utilize CA.
Last JSON error Recorded: JSON Error: Syntax error
Docker FAQ

Community Applications Version: 2018.03.30a

The server is connected to the Internet and can access its resources, so the first suggestion is not the cause of the problem.  It might the access to the application servers but I can't imagine this being the case.  I've already tried a deinstall / reinstall but same symptoms are occuring.  How should I go about debugging this problem?

Thanks Squid.  I did read above and I interpreted the discussion as affecting a minority of users not being me.  It was coincidence then that my work on my Unraid occurred exactly at the same time as this app server problem.  I'm new to Unraid and am still in the "getting familiar with all this" mode.

Edited by rbm

I am just started to setup my new VM server.  I have a media server running just about how I want it.  So installed the CA Community Apps and getting Download of appfeed failed.  Reading this thread sounds like a server somewhere is down?  Any ETA or if will be fixed?

Switch to Legacy mode

We have an ongoing incident in FRA1 impacting Block Storage availability for some users. Until the issue is resolved, impacted users may not be able to access data stored on volumes, and may also see delays booting or power cycling Droplets with volumes attached. 

Roughly 12 hours ago, one of the Ceph clusters that powers Block Storage in FRA1 encountered a situation which triggered a cascading shutdown of the entire cluster. We are working to bring the cluster back up, but have been slowed by the recovery time for each of the Ceph storage nodes. 

Unfortunately, we do not have any ETA for when all volumes will be available in the region, but we are working on this with our highest priority. We apologize for the frustrations caused by this incident and we will be publishing a postmortem once we have the incident fully resolved and all the information fully documented.

Up shot is that I've spent the day revamping how legacy mode works to avoid any apparent hangs if your internet speed (or available bandwidth) sucks.  Unfortunately, can't release it as I can't verify that my changes don't affect the normal appFeed mode.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, dirknina said:

Any thoughts of having a second feed if primary goes down?

Effectively that's what Legacy Mode is.  Just not automatic.  But, a backup feed is something that may happen under certain conditions in the future, but that is currently out of my hands.

18 minutes ago, dirknina said:

look like they got it back up and running atm.  brought updated apps up

Not on mine.  Clicking "Statistics" in the top right will tell you if it's still running in Legacy Mode or not.  Once the servers are back up and running, CA will automatically switch back to appFeed mode.  It just won't give you the same download failure message again as it's already got an up to date fall back saved.

EDIT:  From a user perspective, there's very little difference between the two operating modes

• Appfeed mode automatically grabs the latest lists.  Legacy you have to redownload everything (and in the case of a server outage, switch to appfeed mode, then switch back to legacy mode)
  • Appfeed mode will display download totals and the baseOS for the various applications.  Legacy mode will not
  • Appfeed mode grabs the lists in <10 seconds.  Legacy mode may take a minute or so to download all the various files
Edited by Squid

Hello everyone,

I'm having a slightly different issue.

When I access the community app library to browse it, it takes a VERY long time to load the first page (about 2 minutes). Alternatively, I get this error message :

image.thumb.png.3154856779a3f22b3a1678b2331c6224.png

This persisted when passing from 6.4.1 to 6.5 (stable)

Switching to legacy mode didn't change a thing.

Previously, it used to take only one or two seconds to load the same page.

Edited by CiaoCiao