[Plug-In] Community Applications

Wasn't just your repo that was giving out 503's It was also the linuxserver.io guys having the same issue.

Not sure what it is or why you are not able to replicate, but thanks for the update.

I 100% blame Microsoft for this
@squid Love the new layout by the way squid so much nicer than the old one

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, drawmonster said:

Any plans to add the "star" ratings back to the app overview like it was in the old UI?

Its on the Info popup.  Undecided if I want it on the "card", as I don't particularly think that its a real meaningful metric, and I've been trying to transition instead to a "trending" metric

33 minutes ago, Squid said:

Its on the Info popup.  Undecided if I want it on the "card", as I don't particularly think that its a real meaningful metric, and I've been trying to transition instead to a "trending" metric

I was looking to install Emby for the first time the other day, and wanted a quick way from the search results to see which one most people use.  In the past I'd normally go down the "most starred" route.  Whether that's fair to the other devs (or best for my use case) is debatable, but it helps make a choice (in the same way that plumping for an Amazon product with the highest rating does).

24 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

from the search results to see which one most people use

Stars have nothing to do with "most people use".

The closest metric to that is either downloads or trends (both of which you can sort by)

Downloads IMO aren't a real good metric depending upon how the maintainers handle the container.  It is a count of every pull of a container.  So, if you have some container, installed it on January 1st, 2018 if it is updated automatically every week and you pull the update every week, then by the end of the year your one install actually counts as 52 downloads.

Trends are percentage increase of downloads from one month to another.  It's an attempt to give a more accurate reflection of how many people are actually doing new installs.

Stars are kinda valid, but in order to give a "star" to a container you have to sign up for dockerHub, and then give it a star, which most people do not do.  And even there it's all kinda BS.  Just look at my own posts here and see what gets "Liked" or not.  (Or look at Facebook for that matter)

Will an actual "rating" system come to CA in the future? Who knows.

Sorry, "most people use" wasn't a great phrase, and I get why it's not that simple, and potentially misleading.  Some containers update almost daily.  Having some mechanism to auto-highlight the most popular on a list without necessarily having to sort by it would be handy though.

Can you easily discern between fresh install and upgrade?  Hopefully as CA knows what a user has installed, it might somehow maintain an install count for each app.  Lots of ifs and maybes in there though.

I wouldn't know how useful an actual rating system would be.  This time around I went to the support threads of each and tried to work it out for myself.

Thanks for the comments, very interesting.

4 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Hopefully as CA knows what a user has installed, it might somehow maintain an install count for each app.

I'm not sure I'm ok with a central database of currently installed apps globally across the CA universe. That would imply information not currently available to be uploaded from my machine to some server somewhere, and I don't necessarily want all the info tabulated and available for analysis.

The download count is already readily available, the missing piece is currently running and uninstalled count. Possibly valuable information, but I prefer not to provide it voluntarily. If I download a container, and delete it later, that's my business.

• Like 1
I'm not sure I'm ok with a central database of currently installed apps globally across the CA universe. That would imply information not currently available to be uploaded from my machine to some server somewhere, and I don't necessarily want all the info tabulated and available for analysis.

The download count is already readily available, the missing piece is currently running and uninstalled count. Possibly valuable information, but I prefer not to provide it voluntarily. If I download a container, and delete it later, that's my business.
I wholeheartedly agree...

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

That's not what I meant, TBH.

When your client downloads something, it currently adds 1 to a download count for the star system (the way I understand it).

I was proposing that the count is only increased if it's a fresh install, and not an upgrade.  It's not storing anything about you specifically having it.

There is some mechanism (I'm guessing client-side) to list your previous apps and installed apps already within CA.  Therefore, when an app is downloaded, a yes/no flag would highlight whether this was a new install.  Wouldn't be super-accurate.

Obviously getting hypothetical, since I have no real clue how it works, but ultimately I wasn't suggesting that CA maintain an online database of who's got what.  Just some kind of anonymous count.

1 minute ago, Cessquill said:

There is some mechanism (I'm guessing client-side) to list your previous apps and installed apps already within CA.  Therefore, when an app is downloaded, a yes/no flag would highlight whether this was a new install.

How would that information get back to the mothership? I don't particularly want to send that info.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

How would that information get back to the mothership? I don't particularly want to send that info.

Completely understand, and share concerns.  Maybe appending a download request url with "&new=true" (or technical equivalent and encrypted depending on mechanism)?  As I understand it (and I'm wrong a lot), your download is already counted but not associated with anybody.  This just allows that same count to be arguably more useful, and it's still not tied to you.

I get why it's a contentious issue - just thinking out loud.

Is there a way to manually refresh the User Templates?  I was cleaning out old entries manually and got a little excited and deleted them all.  I basically just want to to backup the paths/ports of my currently installed dockers.
Annnnnd I just realized that I can no longer edit my current Dockers, I imagine because there is no corresponding .xml.

I'm an idiot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk