[Plug-In] Community Applications

8 hours ago, Hammerfest said:

Feature request 1: version to install option

Feature request 2: sort by last updated

Feature request 3: sort by version number where applicable in search results? (this one is more hazy as has super situational context)

None of these are possible with dockerHub searches.

this and a few other docker's do NOT support the "latest" tag, so attempting to install will always fail as CA is using the latest tag.

Nothing I can really do on dockerHub searches, but assume certain things that are generally correct.  One of those is assuming the latest tag

I tried to find the version that was going to be needed for diskover (older v5.6.x) in the results,

You didn't need to do that.  All you had to do was search for elasticsearch, download the first result (which is the official version), and in the repository section append something like :5.6.9 for the tag.  The full list of available tags you can use is available on the dockerHub page (which you can get via the support icon when doing the search)

This is all why dockerHub searches are an advanced feature as you can't install a "wild" container without reading the dockerHub page for the container to find out what options, paths, ports, and tags you can use.

Edited by Squid
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Squid said:

You didn't need to do that.  All you had to do was search for elasticsearch, download the first result (which is the official version), and in the repository section append something like :5.6.9 for the tag.  The full list of available tags you can use is available on the dockerHub page (which you can get via the support icon when doing the search)

This... surprisingly was not in the results I found, in-fact, I didn't see anywhere that this was possible until you mentioned something and my search specifically contained this info (not shown in the help feature unRAID has).

This worked.

And yes, the posts for their containers is sorely lacking

EDIT: I have much more to learn, this is just not enough, must add more variables it seems, wasn't in appdata and couldn't find it anywhere when installed (installed to non existent space!), im sure its somewhere just not finding it, all well, thanks for the help CA peeps! Will go bother someone else or give up down the line :D

Edited by Hammerfest
6 hours ago, dockerPolice said:

Yes.  Linuxserver.io is rather hypocritical by having their docker compose file directly reference elasticsearch in it, and yet not publishing a template for unRaid.😡

To post a docker compose file on the diskover github Readme is not the same as adding a template. Adding a template means we also need to support it, which we are not going to be doing for someone elses container. 

Should we remove the template for diskover to please you? 

34 minutes ago, saarg said:

To post a docker compose file on the diskover github Readme is not the same as adding a template. Adding a template means we also need to support it, which we are not going to be doing for someone elses container. 

Should we remove the template for diskover to please you? 

I could understand the angst here if it was needing to maintain a container on the latest version, diskover doesn't however require the latest so I don't understand the venom and angst here especially considering the constant posts I see asking about help with the dependencies meaning basically, that sample size of people unable to use your hard work with diskover container is greater then 1 (I could count forum posts/threads and reddit posts/threads but it would only serve to drive home the same point).

If not making "someone else's container" (which cool, I get that), then maybe adding an ADVANCED ONLY tag to those containers which require dependency's which don't exist in template form and are NOT easy to install, OR on the friendlier side, since it SHOULD BE EXPECTED that absolute dunce's like myself will be looking at these seemingly easy things, providing installation instructions for them might alleviate this building issue with a disclaimer that the instructions can become invalid at any point in time, rather then the current nothing at all.

I have spent the last hour~ in addition to the additional time yesterday, poked a few people, and STILL cannot get this working.

Mind you, I rate myself below novice level and am happy to degrade myself and put on the dunce cap, but even the people i have asked at novice/intermediate level (in a novice>intermediate>advanced scale) still bring no joy.

Sure, I should KNOW ALL OF THIS despite coming from Windows GUI environment, but so far, no readme, existing answers/directions have resolved this setup problem.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the work that the linuxserver.io group put into this and think its AWESOME that you would do the work, BUT, at this point with the lacking first post in the thread, and 3rd party notice about the dependencies required, as a new user to unraid, after all my attempts, mentally I now place a "stick to the EZ mode stuff slick" tag to anything I see now which requires other non template dependencies.

Edited by Hammerfest

The next rev of unRaid will include on the context menu for docker applications a "more info" (you can also get there via the next rev of CA also) which will take you to the dockerHub page for any particular container which usually has more set up information than what is in the OP on the support thread.

I too also sincerely applaud the efforts of the guys / girls / indeterminate over at LinuxServer.io   Without them the docker landscape across the board (not just unRaid) wouldn't be where it is today, and many of their innovations / ideas have taken hold and have now been implemented not just by tinkerers but also by major corporations. 

@dockerPolice is just a knob for criticizing

Edited by Squid
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Hammerfest said:

I could understand the angst here if it was needing to maintain a container on the latest version, diskover doesn't however require the latest so I don't understand the venom and angst here especially considering the constant posts I see asking about help with the dependencies meaning basically, that sample size of people unable to use your hard work with diskover container is greater then 1 (I could count forum posts/threads and reddit posts/threads but it would only serve to drive home the same point).

If not making "someone else's container" (which cool, I get that), then maybe adding an ADVANCED ONLY tag to those containers which require dependency's which don't exist in template form and are NOT easy to install, OR on the friendlier side, since it SHOULD BE EXPECTED that absolute dunce's like myself will be looking at these seemingly easy things, providing installation instructions for them might alleviate this building issue with a disclaimer that the instructions can become invalid at any point in time, rather then the current nothing at all.

I have spent the last hour~ in addition to the additional time yesterday, poked a few people, and STILL cannot get this working.

Mind you, I rate myself below novice level and am happy to degrade myself and put on the dunce cap, but even the people i have asked at novice/intermediate level (in a novice>intermediate>advanced scale) still bring no joy.

Sure, I should KNOW ALL OF THIS despite coming from Windows GUI environment, but so far, no readme, existing answers/directions have resolved this setup problem.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the work that the linuxserver.io group put into this and think its AWESOME that you would do the work, BUT, at this point with the lacking first post in the thread, and 3rd party notice about the dependencies required, as a new user to unraid, after all my attempts, mentally I now place a "stick to the EZ mode stuff slick" tag to anything I see now which requires other non template dependencies.

Have you posted in the diskover support thread about your problems? 

There is a link in the first post of the thread to the Readme with all info needed to set up diskover. Any unraid specific instructions for common things like adding from dockerhub and editing templates are not a part of our Readmes.

3 hours ago, saarg said:

Have you posted in the diskover support thread about your problems? 

There is a link in the first post of the thread to the Readme with all info needed to set up diskover. Any unraid specific instructions for common things like adding from dockerhub and editing templates are not a part of our Readmes.

in the LinuxServer.io discord yes, forum thread no, seems like people there pointed to the discord or irc.

"with all info needed to set up diskover. Any unraid specific instructions for common things like adding from dockerhub and editing templates are not a part of our Readmes." is hugely contradictory for anyone not familiar with how linux, dockers, dependencies and unraid work and thus my statement on the advanced tag for it

Will continue on discord or in the other forum thread so as to not clutter CA any further.

Today's update brings a laundry list of improvements (see the changelog), but as far as the end user is concerned:

• Able to click on the icon to bring up the pop up in addition to the info icon.
  • Vast majority of applications now have graphs on the info pop up showing how it's trending from month to month, number of downloads per month, and total downloads.

image.png.25d9f0e3e749f4920cdc6cb1a6b409f6.png

The meta data for the graphs is collected for each app gradually over the course of a month, and the graphs will ultimately populate to show a full year's data.  Most apps currently have 2 months worth of data, but the appfeed has now begun to populate the 3rd month.  (Side note: I'm surprised and pleased that @sparklyballs as of this writing has one of his containers (acestream) show up in the trending list - Currently ranked #9  🍺)

Another "under the hood" addition is opening up a function for other plugin authors to utilize to notify users if there's an update available for their plugin (an enhancement to the current plugin notification system) - This will be documented in the Programming Thread.

Still VERY green behind the ears, but with the help of a few of you off of social media I'm up and running with minimal headache...lol..

I updated the community app this morning when I got up because I saw where was an update....installation went smooth with no errors, but now it seems to be repopulating the "apps" list....for the last 30 min....Is it hung up or should it take that long? Everything else on my box is working as it should, just the updating list is concerning me. I only use the Plex app (a community one)...if I deleted the "community apps" plugin, would I lose the PMS that I downloaded through the plugin?
(sorry I'm rambling, trying to get this post out before I head out the door for work)

25 minutes ago, Squid said:

Nope under all circumstances it should finish within 90 seconds worst case if you uninstall and reinstall you wont lose anything

I have the same issue, I updated this morning without any errors but now it hangs at "Updating Content" and doesn't do anything or give any errors.

I just removed and reinstalled the plugin and that did not fix it - the same issue persists. I am running 6.7.0-rc5 not the latest, if that matters.

I tried the same after Squid confirmed that my Plex app wouldn't be touched... and I got the same as you, hanging up on the "Updating Content" screen, currently looking to see if there is a previous version somewhere that I can install (2/6 I think the last update was)

1 hour ago, showstopper said:

I am having the same 'Updating Content' page - how do you uninstall as i cannot select anything on the /apps page.

Go to the "plugins" tab and check the little box that next to the greyed out "REMOVE" button, then click remove... that should do it.. (ver 6.6.7)

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

I just uninstalled and reinstalled on both my servers (6.7-rc6 and another version of unRaid) and CA has no problems.

Diagnostics from each of you *may* help

I grabbed my diagnostics and was about to send them but then I had a thought - I am using firefox which is having the problem. I switched to Edge (it's what I have) and the page loaded fine. 

Chrome just finished installing and that works fine too. It may just be Firefox that is choking?

1 hour ago, Chunks said:

I grabbed my diagnostics and was about to send them but then I had a thought - I am using firefox which is having the problem. I switched to Edge (it's what I have) and the page loaded fine. 

Chrome just finished installing and that works fine too. It may just be Firefox that is choking?

Ill try that now...standby...