APCUPSD Settings Does Not seem to shut down UPS [Solved]

Hello

Need some noobie help

Just bought a new UPS that is supported by APCUPSD

Using default settings in the APCUPSD plugin that I installed with the modifications to ensure the latest powerdown script was installed

The server seems to shutdown fine but my UPs does not after say 20mins

I do not have the server plugged into the ups for power during testing at this time as I donnt wasnt failures to mess up mysql

In a power outage I only want to ensure the server powers down safely and then the UPS to shutdown.  Not interested in extended run times in large outages.  say 10min outage = shutdown

Can someone teach me please

Think the help button is broken.  I keep clicking it and nothing is happening :)

Below are the settings I currently have.  The UPS is connected as the STATUS is there

Can someone explain the control the Battery, Minutes and Timeout fields are for?

Settings

Enable APC UPS Daemon: YES

UPS Cable: USB

UPS Type: USB

Device:

Battery Level: 60

Minutes: 10

Timeout: 360

Kill UPS: YES

Show Full Status:

Okay found this doc which gives me some definitions of the settings

http://www.scn.rain.com/~neighorn/docs/apcupsd/configure.html

BATTERYLEVEL    <percent of battery>

If BATTERYLEVEL is specified, during a power failure, apcupsd will halt the system when the remaining battery charge falls below the specified percentage. The default is 5 percent.

MINUTES    <battery runtime in minutes>

If MINUTES is specified, during a power failure, apcupsd will shutdown the system when the remaining remaining runtime on batteries as internally calculated by the UPS falls below the time specified. The default is 3.

TIMEOUT    <time in seconds>

After a power failure, apcupsd will halt the system when TIMEOUT seconds have expired. A value of zero disables this timer. Normally for SMARTUPSes, this should be zero so that the shutdown time will be determined by the battery level and/or remaining runtime (see above). This command is useful for dumb UPSes that do not report battery level or the remaining runtime. It is also useful for testing apcupsd because you can force a rapid shutdown by setting a small value (e.g. 60) and pulling the plug to the UPS.

The timeout for the master is always 30 seconds longer than slaves.

TIMEOUT, BATTERYLEVEL, and MINUTES can be set together without problems. apcupsd will react to the first case or test that is valid. Normally SmartUPS users will set TIMEOUT to zero so that the system is shutdown depending on the percentage battery charge remaining (BATTERYLEVEL) or the remaining battery runtime (MINUTES).

Now just looking to figure out how the Plugin shuts off the UPS.  Pretty please

Settings are now

#apcupsd configuration

SERVICE="enable"

UPSCABLE="usb"

CUSTOMUPSCABLE=""

UPSTYPE="usb"

DEVICE=""

BATTERYLEVEL="60"

MINUTES="20"

TIMEOUT="0"

KILLUPS="yes"

SHOWFULLSTATUS="yes"

Now just looking to figure out how the Plugin shuts off the UPS.  Pretty please

Well assuming you are running unRAID 6? Under the UPS settings page the UPS Status should say "online". If it does then the easiest way to test is pull the UPS plug from the wall and see what happens  ;D

I believe the standard APC UPS turn off delay is 90 seconds.

This is configurable in the Windows PowerChute utility; but I don't believe there's a way to change this in APCUPSD.    On the other hand, 90 seconds should be plenty, since the final command given to the UPS is to do this -- and that's after the array is already stopped ... i.e. the drives have all been spun up and dismounted.

If you have some non-APC UPS units, I'm not sure they use the same protocol for turning off the UPS ... a simple test should confirm that, however.

Okay

The model of UPS is cyber Power 850va

When I unplug the UPS the server powers down correctly but it seems the UPS stays running

Not sure how to test the kill UPS section of this plugin.  Looking in the log I see status when running on battery and when the shutdown command was started but do not see any command that would seem to kill ups

May 31 10:28:13 SmithServer apcupsd[10675]: Battery charge below low limit.

May 31 10:28:13 SmithServer apcupsd[10675]: Initiating system shutdown!

May 31 10:28:13 SmithServer apcupsd[10675]: User logins prohibited

May 31 10:28:14 SmithServer powerdown[11236]: Powerdown initiated

May 31 10:28:14 SmithServer powerdown[11240]: Powerdown V2.10

May 31 10:28:14 SmithServer rc.unRAID[11242][11243]: Processing /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID.d/ kill scripts.

May 31 10:28:14 SmithServer powerdown[11248]: Initiating Shutdown with ''

May 31 10:28:14 SmithServer shutdown[11249]: shutting down for system halt

May 31 10:28:38 SmithServer transmission-daemon[4804]: Saved "/mnt/user/a

How to I test this?

UPDATE:  I shutdown ACPUPSD and in terminal ran acpupstest.  There is a kill test at option 1) but does not seem to do anything

Have you tried the Help button?  It's new, but there does seem to be a lot of help available.

Looks like he's using the v5 plugin. Don't remember if help did anything there or not.

I unthinkingly assumed v6, dumb of me!  Help did nothing before v6.

Think the help button is broken.  I keep clicking it and nothing is happening :)

I'm sorry!  Completely forgot to ask what version you were on!  I think you will like the v6 UPS support, AND the working Help button!