June 1, 201511 yr I tried to back up some files to the same folder in which they were stored. When the backup began, I inadvertently clicked to delete the files first. Well, since the files were first deleted, there was nothing left to backup. I want to do a parity check to restore these files, but I'm not sure what the check box "Write corrections to parity disk" means. I don't want the parity to be corrected to reflect the deletions. Should I uncheck this box? Thanks
June 1, 201511 yr Community Expert I tried to back up some files to the same folder in which they were stored. When the backup began, I inadvertently clicked to delete the files first. Well, since the files were first deleted, there was nothing left to backup. I want to do a parity check to restore these files, but I'm not sure what the check box "Write corrections to parity disk" means. I don't want the parity to be corrected to reflect the deletions. Should I uncheck this box? Thanks There is no way parity can help you recover files you deleted.
June 1, 201511 yr Parity is used to facilitate the recovery of a dead drive. Because it is updated in real time as changes happen to the data drives, the information on it reflects the deletion of the files. IE: Doing a parity check and / or rebuilding the data disk is not going to accomplish anything at all. Those files will still be deleted. There are some thread here talking about recycle bins for unraid, but I'm not sure how effective they would be after the fact. Which file system is the drive in question formatted with?
June 1, 201511 yr Author Duh! I knew that but was not thinking. Too frustrated over my mistake. Maybe I can find a file recovery program. Sorry, but thanks for the quick response
June 1, 201511 yr Duh! I knew that but was not thinking. Too frustrated over my mistake. Maybe I can find a file recovery program. Sorry, but thanks for the quick response Do you know the file system of the drive that the files were stored on?
June 1, 201511 yr Backups are, of course, a good idea [ http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31020.0 ] ... but you don't backup on the SAME system the files are on !! (let alone the same folder) At least you had the right idea ... and hopefully will learn from this and start using a better backup plan. Unfortunately there's little you can do right now -- although if you've done NO other write activity to the disk you deleted the files from, you MAY be able to restore them with a good recovery utility. If the disks are Reiser, the Reiserfsck utility has had some pretty amazing results in this regard. Not sure about utilities for XFS ... but there are also some general Linux recovery programs you can buy that may help. If the data's really important a professional data recovery company can likely restore it for you, but this will cost several hundred $$
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.