Few issues after conversion from Virtualbox

Hi,

I've just upgraded my unRAID system from 5.0 to the current 6rc3 which went smoothly.

I was running virtualbox on the old install which is the main reason for the upgrade to take advantage of the built in KVM support.

I have converted both of the virtual hard disk files over without issue and the Debian VM boots no problem but does not seem to want to get an IP from the router. (See screenshot)

ifconfig shows the eth0 interface but no IP.

Debian interfaces file contains:

allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

I have been into unRAID settings and configured the public bridge.

The second machine is a Windows 7 VM which now will not boot (bluescreens) which I think is down to the storage drivers not being loaded.

If their a different chipset that I should select to make it compatible or am I better off just reloading the VM from scratch?

Thanks in advance,

David

ifconfig.jpg.bb7f17f8e924e007717addd5ce94d89f.jpg

Hi,

I've just upgraded my unRAID system from 5.0 to the current 6rc3 which went smoothly.

I was running virtualbox on the old install which is the main reason for the upgrade to take advantage of the built in KVM support.

I have converted both of the virtual hard disk files over without issue and the Debian VM boots no problem but does not seem to want to get an IP from the router. (See screenshot)

ifconfig shows the eth0 interface but no IP.

What kernel version is your debian guest?  Does it have drivers for virtio?  You could try going into the Edit XML page for the VM and modify the driver for the virtual network device to something like 'e1000' for a emulated network device, but virtio will give best performance.  To check for virtio drivers for the device, try lspci -k from console and see if/what driver is bound to the Ethernet controller.

I have been into unRAID settings and configured the public bridge.

Looks like all is good there from your screenshots of the VM configuration.

The second machine is a Windows 7 VM which now will not boot (bluescreens) which I think is down to the storage drivers not being loaded.

If their a different chipset that I should select to make it compatible or am I better off just reloading the VM from scratch?

Do this:

1 - Edit the VM and add a second virtual disk device of raw image type and 1M for the size.  Store it wherever.

2 - Download the VirtIO drivers ISO file from here:  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers#Direct_download

3 - Put the ISO file in the VirtIO Drivers ISO field under Edit VM.

4 - Edit the XML for the VM and locate the <disk> sections, like this:

<disk type='file' device='disk'>

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>

<source file='/mnt/cache/domains/Test/vdisk1.img'/>

<target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>

<boot order='1'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>

</disk>

<source file='/mnt/cache/domains/Test/vdisk2.img'/>

<target dev='hdb' bus='virtio'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>

</disk>

For vdisk1, change the bus under <target> to 'ide'.  Delete the <address> line for vdisk1.  Vdisk1 should be the path to your converted virtualbox vdisk.  My corrected example:

<source file='/mnt/cache/domains/Test/vdisk1.img'/>

<target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>

<boot order='1'/>

</disk>

<source file='/mnt/cache/domains/Test/vdisk2.img'/>

<target dev='hdb' bus='virtio'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>

</disk>

Now attempt to start your VM.  You should be able to boot (although Windows may reboot once or twice before getting fully in for you).  Once in, you can install the VirtIO drivers for a storage device (vdisk2) and then the network controller and memory balloon driver.  Do this using the ISO that you downloaded (make sure to download the stable version).

Once done, shutdown your VM, then edit your XML again.  Remove the entire vdisk2 entry for <disk> to </disk> and for vdisk1, change the bus back to virtio and delete the <address> line again.

This will set your primary vdisk to use virtio and the drivers will be loaded now, so it should reboot once more, then be fine and be running 100% paravirtual IO under KVM.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply.

Debian kernel is 3.2.0-4-486 and appears to have the drivers for the card. I have attached the output of lspci -k

I attempted with e1000 and had the same issue.

Your fix for the Windows machine worked and that machine is now up and running  :)

It appears it maybe an issue with the bridge though as the windows machine would not get an IP address either. (See attachment) If I manually assign an address then I am able to connect to the network OK.

DHCP packet not transversing the bridge maybe?

I've got two USB relay's to add to the Windows 7 VM which reports that there is multiple devices for that ID (Screenshot below). They are the same controller but two separate devices.

Do I just need to manually add these into the XML file?

Thanks,

David

Untitled.jpg.9c69ae1121aa5e60742c1234e28d7720.jpg

winnet.jpg.fee2fdc8b4fa2f659c32dfa299c591e6.jpg

usb.jpg.593fb1763a7f7017d0313e61047a3832.jpg