My Plan. Is UnRaid ready to use like this?

Gary, I hadn't considered socket 2011.  But that MB looks like it has real growth potential.  From a $200 quad core Xeon, to a 12 core monster.  That motherboard is only $269.  Why wouldn't everybody just go this way and ignore the socket 1150??

Good question.    Probably the #1 reason is the extra cost ... which doesn't HAVE to be a major amount, but many will look at what "CAN" be done and decide they just have to do it !!  [e.g. I'd probably buy at least an 8-core Xeon if I used this board.]

Cost doesn't HAVE to be a major factor if you compare an E5 series Xeon with equivalent performance E3 versions ... perhaps an extra $100 or so is all the difference would be.    [e.g. an E3-1241v3 scores 10068 on PassMark and costs ~ $275;  an E5-1630v3 scores 10352 and costs ~ $350].    However, most folks buying an E5 series CPU probably want higher performance than you can get with the E3's => something like the 6-core E5-1650v3, which scores 13306 on PassMark and costs $600.    And the processor cost can rise rather dramatically if you "need" 10, 12, 14, or 18 cores !!  :)    A 14-core E5-2695v3 has an impressive 21123 score on PassMark ... but an equally impressive $2400 cost !!    14 hyperthreaded cores (28 threads) is, of course, a rather impressive amount of "horsepower"  :)

A year ago I'd have also said memory cost was a major factor, as DDR4 was significantly more expensive than DDR3 (especially registered DDR4 modules).    But that's no longer the case ... DDR4 RDIMM's are no longer all that much more than DDR3 unbuffered ECC modules (anyone considering this class of board would surely be looking at ECC-capable Socket 1150 boards).    So it's really the potential CPU cost that folks probably look at.

I count 5 PCIe x8 slots and 2 x16 slots on it

I missed one of the x4 slots => I had said there were 4 x8 slots and 2 x 4 slots; but there are actually 4 x8 slots and 3 x4 slots => and if only one of the v3 x4 slots is used, it will run at x8 ... so you could actually have 5 x8 slots and 1 x4 slot.      Note that 2 of the x8 slots are in x16 physical connectors (but they're just x8 slots) ... and all of the x4 slots are in x8 connectors.

Note that the processors also tend to have higher TDPs, so you will potentially use more power and generate more heat => but ONLY if you're "pushing" the CPU and actually using that addition power.  These are still Haswell based CPUs, and run at very low power when the CPUs are running at low utilization (which is MOST of the time in almost all UnRAID scenarios).

Bottom line:  As long as you restrict your CPU expense to a modest CPU like an E5-1630v3 this is a very reasonable board to use.  A superb complement of PCIe expansions slots;  registered RAM modules, so there's no bus loading issue -- so you can populate all 8 slots with no problem ... easily installing 128GB or even more (up to 512GB with 64GB LRDIMM modules -- but those are seriously pricey, so it's more realistic to use 16GB modules).      Of course installing a quad-core CPU in this board when there are 6-core, 8-core, 10-core, 14-core, and even 18-core units available for it takes some real will-power  (although the cost can help make that an easy decision).    I suspect if I build a system with this I'd spring for the $600 6-core E5-1650 ... and drool over the 14 and 18 core cousins [perhaps an upgrade in a few years when they're available for dramatically less on e-bay  :) ].

By far the biggest advantage is the additional slots; the registered RAM; and the higher PCIe bandwidth available from the chipsets that support this class of boards.  10 onboard SATA ports is also nice  :)

Cost doesn't HAVE to be a major factor if you compare an E5 series Xeon with equivalent performance E3 versions ... perhaps an extra $100 or so is all the difference would be.    [e.g. an E3-1241v3 scores 10068 on PassMark and costs ~ $275;  an E5-1630v3 scores 10352 and costs ~ $350].    However, most folks buying an E5 series CPU probably want higher performance than you can get with the E3's => something like the 6-core E5-1650v3, which scores 13306 on PassMark and costs $600.    And the processor cost can rise rather dramatically if you "need" 10, 12, 14, or 18 cores !!  :)   

One of these 2603 6 core 1.6ghz at $214  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117482

One of these 16gb chips at $230 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148855CVF

One of these coolers at $59 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608042&Tpk=N82E16835608042

And the MB at $269 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182927&cm_re=x10srl-f-_-13-182-927-_-Product

Gets you going with socket 2011 and a wide open future upgrade path.  The CPU is cheaper (why is there a hex core 1.6ghz at $214?)  Maybe the 1620 is a more comparable chip..

The 1620 CPU is about the same as a 1220, the memory is less expensive, only the cooler is an extra purchase.  The temptation to load it up with RAM, or hefty CPU will be what really costs a fortune.  Still its nice to have a platform that can run for years, upgrade as necessary without throwing memory, or MB away.

I think you need to buy one for the benefit of the team, and write up an Atlas II thread for us all. <grin>

... The 1620 CPU is about the same as a 1220, the memory is less expensive, only the cooler is an extra purchase.  The temptation to load it up with RAM, or hefty CPU will be what really costs a fortune.  Still its nice to have a platform that can run for years, upgrade as necessary without throwing memory, or MB away.

Actually the E5-1620v3 significantly outperforms an E3-1220v3 [PassMark 9608 vs 6843].    I agree this would be a SUPERB system that wouldn't cost appreciably more than an E3-based setup.

HOWEVER,  that "... temptation to load it up with RAM, or hefty CPU ..." is a VERY strong temptation when you're buying a system in this class.    Putting in a 1620 is kinda like buying a Ferrari with a Volkswagon engine  :)

But there is one MAJOR advantage, even with the 1620, that really tempts me to use this for my next system ==> buffered RAM.    For any system that you want to really load up with memory, it's FAR better to use buffered modules if you want to install more than 2 memory modules.  With buffered modules the bus loading on the address and data buses is one "load" per MODULE ... whereas with unbuffered modules it's one "load" per CHIP ... which is 16-32 loads/modules.    This can significantly degrade the signaling waveform when you have more than two modules installed.

I think you need to buy one for the benefit of the team, and write up an Atlas II thread for us all. <grin>

Glad to -- PM me for the paypal address where the "team" can send their contributions ... and as soon as I get enough contributions to build one of these [Fully loaded with a 18-core E5-2699v3 of course  :) ]  I'll be happy to put it all together and give you plenty of test results  :) :)

... actually I may do this later this year without any contributions => but if so I may have to compromise "a bit" on the CPU choice  :'(

Glad to -- PM me for the paypal address where the "team" can send their contributions ... and as soon as I get enough contributions to build one of these [Fully loaded with a 18-core E5-2699v3 of course  :) ]  I'll be happy to put it all together and give you plenty of test results  :) :)

... actually I may do this later this year without any contributions => but if so I may have to compromise "a bit" on the CPU choice  :'(

Be glad to.  There are a number number of underpaid LimeTech employees, and you are one of the deserving ones....  <grin>

But, do you see any reason to go with the 1150 socket after the analysis we just did?  Only reason I can see is that the MB size might force some to stay away from the 2011 socket versions.  Cost is almost irrelevant.  Thanks for the memory analysis.

Are you aware of anyone running this system spec with unRaid today?

=====

One box to rule them all (socket 2011 at least for now)

Be glad to.  There are a number number of underpaid LimeTech employees, and you are one of the deserving ones....  <grin>

I think Tom, Tom 2, Jon, and Eric are it as far as LimeTech employees.    Hopefully they're not underpaid  :)

As for those of us who help on the forum ... well, us old geezers need something to occupy our time.  I've been a lot busier than normal this year, as my wife has had some major health issues (broke two vertebrae in January; has since had pneumonia and shingles) so we've had to cancel several trips we had scheduled [a month in Australia and New Zealand; 3 weeks in Europe; and a couple shorter cruises].    She's getting much better, so the last half of the year should be much better.

... do you see any reason to go with the 1150 socket after the analysis we just did?

Size is the key difference.  You won't find a server grade 2011 board smaller than ATX, and some are even larger (EATX).    There are some consumer grade (X99 chipset) 2011 boards in micro-ATX (and even one mini-ITX), but these don't have the advantages of the server class boards.

As you noted, cost isn't really a major factor as long as you can control your impulses and don't "go for the gusto" when it comes to the CPU or populating all those memory slots  :)

Power consumption is another difference that may concern some ... these boards DO draw more power than a lower-end Socket 1150 board would; and the CPU's have higher TDP's.  But the CPUs are still very power-efficient Haswell fabs, so when they're not being utilized at high CPU %'s they run at very low power, just like their E3 cousins.    And the board is a server board designed to minimize power consumption from unused components, so I really don't think the overall power draw would be significantly higher than a 1150 board of similar quality.

Are you aware of anyone running this system spec with unRaid today?

I don't know if anyone's running this specific board, but have noticed that there are several folks on the forum running E5 series Xeons ... some even have dual CPU setups (drool)  :)

Clearly anyone using a dual-CPU E5 series Xeon setup has a rather nice motherboard to support it.

One box to rule them all (socket 2011 at least for now)

I certainly agree this would be a VERY nice (and rather future-proof) board.  I was, of course, joking about buying an 18 core E5-2699v3 CPU (they're $4764 on Amazon) ... but who knows what one of those might sell for on e-bay in 3-5 years  :)

Bottom line:  This is absolutely VERY high on my list of "boards I am likely to use in my next server".  Hard to find ANYTHING to be critical about => IPMI;  buffered RAM; more PCIe x8 sockets than I am EVER likely to use; VERY reasonably priced; ATX form factor (i.e. not oversized like many server boards);  etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of the original questions asked is something I am interested in, but did not see a clear answer.

Same vein here, want to consolidate my gaming system, unraid server, teamspeak server and a few other items, if possible, all onto one single PC at my desk. Now, here is that catch. I have dual GTX 780's. (Will KVM work ok with SLI?) I run a triple monitor display I don't want to sacrifice. So...

Unraid server boots... on primary monitor I obviously get console output. Once booted, Windows 8.1/10 VM loads up. Can that than be setup to output (take over) and run my three displays? So, I have an unraid server running, but my monitors are displaying the content from the Windows VM?

If not, that means this plan is pretty much kaput as I am not sure how well the Windows VM would work, if at all, with triple display, and getting a system running locally that did, to then remote into the VM... that wouldn't make sense...

thanks!

Will KVM work ok with SLI?

We tried testing this a while back and no, it didn't work, but some users in the Arch forum reported it working.  You CAN assign two GPUs to a single VM, so give it a shot and let us know if it works.

Unraid server boots... on primary monitor I obviously get console output. Once booted, Windows 8.1/10 VM loads up. Can that than be setup to output (take over) and run my three displays? So, I have an unraid server running, but my monitors are displaying the content from the Windows VM?

Yes.  In short, this is my system setup with three monitors as well, although I can run all three off a single GPU, but I have run off multiple GPUs in a single VM before.  Like I said though, the one thing I can't confirm yet is SLI support.

Hi Guys,

Just want to say that OP really inspired me - I've started gathering bits to do a similar build.

Under the guise of an "essential upgrade" to get it past the other half  ;)

Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Rev. B Anthracite, £200.77 - Ebay

HP Z800 Workstation System Motherboard, £86.13 - Ebay

Matched Pair Intel Xeon X5570 2.93GHz, £40.40 - Ebay

Transcend 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC1333 PC3-10600 1.5V ECC DIMM, £25.00 - Ebay

ATX 24P + IDE 4P Molex to 18P + 10P Converter, £6.00 - ali express

1GB XFX HD 5450 Silent GPU, £19.85 - Scan

2X Zalman CNPS10X-Optima Shark's Fin Blade CPU Cooler, £40.75 - Scan

850W NZXT Hale82, Hybrid Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze, £69.98 - Scan

5 Port Belkin F5U220qjLI  USB 2.0 PCI Card, £2.99 - Scan

256GB SanDisk X110 Enterprise Class 24x7, 2.5" SSD, £69.58 - Scan

Looking forward to a bit dremel and drill fun to make it all fit.  :)

Hi Guys,

Just want to say that OP really inspired me - I've started gathering bits to do a similar build.

I think you're the first person ive ever inspired! IF you want to repay me, buy double of everything and i'll PM you my address! :)

On a more serious note, id be interested to see how you modify the motherboard tray to accommodate the non standard mobo mounting holes. Thats the only bit i think i'd struggle with. Im still debating the Z800 or looking at a Z820\supermicro board and going dual socket 1150...

Hi Guys,

I think you're the first person ive ever inspired! IF you want to repay me, buy double of everything and i'll PM you my address! :)

On a more serious note, id be interested to see how you modify the motherboard tray to accommodate the non standard mobo mounting holes. Thats the only bit i think i'd struggle with. Im still debating the Z800 or looking at a Z820\supermicro board and going dual socket 1150...

No problem, I'll definitely do a build log. Still waiting for the case and cables, got everything else. Then need to find time  ;D

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to throw in my current build if anyone wants to drool over it :)

Case Labs Magnum M8 with pedestal

ASUS Rampage Extreme V X99 2011-3

Intel Xeon 2697 V3 14 Core / 28 Thread CPU

32 GB Kingston 2133 mhz ECC DDR4

1 x EVGA 980 Ti Classified, 1x ASUS Strix GTX 970, AMD 240 (for vga output)

NZXT Kraken x60 280mm Rad

1000 W EVGA Supernova G2

SSD: 3 X Crucial 500 GB SSD's, 2 x Samsung 250 GB Evo SSD's, 1 x 500 GB Mushkin SSD

HDD: 1 x 3 TB Toshiba (parity disk) , 1 X 2 TB Seagate