errr... Mostly Random Conversation of Photo Management

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lychee looks like it will work, but I agree that it's not ideal to upload all my pictures to Lychee from my pictures share.

Yeah, indefinably not ideal. I more or less just want it to organize my photos into an easy viewer. (although by organize I do not actually want it to edit or move them)

I think I might give shotwell a once over and see how that works.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-photo-album-managers-linux/

OK... the first drawback I saw... It allows you to import files from server, and it then processes the files and DELETES them from import folder. I do  NOT want to do that. I want to keeps originals and have it copy to its own folder and created its own thumbnails, organization, etc.

I tested by putting 2 smallish folders (which I copied from my big repository). It reads the folder name, and creates an album called [import]foldername. I hate the [import]... why?? And of bigger impact, if I have a folder something like:   

Maria's First Birthday July 2015

It does  NOT like the apostrophe... which sucks as I use a lot ['] when I put files into the big folder. So I had to rename the folder...

I think any one of these things are deal breakers for me. All together... makes me want to run away screaming in fear.

If I have movies/videos in those folders, they are not imported nor erased... sort-off expected that.

Full images are slow to load... expect that as files are 3MB + and I have sluggish upstream speed.

I am sure some of thse thing can be corrected with a bit of recosing... but I am not qualified....

Need a nicer Docker icon, which I will prepare and send to Sparkly for his review.  8)

Thoughts please....

Probably the simplest photo viewer is to just use whatever application works well on the machine you would be using to view them with, and browse your unRAID photos over the network. Maybe not as cool as a docker but perhaps a better fit for this purpose.

Probably the simplest photo viewer is to just use whatever application works well on the machine you would be using to view them with, and browse your unRAID photos over the network. Maybe not as cool as a docker but perhaps a better fit for this purpose.

Respectfully Disagree... There has to be a better way... I am sure if does not have to be some type of Digital Asset Management software, but something in between.

Sparkly you like? Too much? It doesn't look bad when reduced.

qFH6s1l.png

http://i.imgur.com/qFH6s1l.png

Not a great solution for me as I want a web facing photo gallery to enable my in-laws, who live 230 miles away, to see our photos.  I suppose data storage is relatively cheap so could just accept I need to take a hit and have it duplicated.

Respectfully Disagree... There has to be a better way... I am sure if does not have to be some type of Digital Asset Management software, but something in between.

Sparkly you like? Too much? It doesn't look bad when reduced.

qFH6s1l.png

http://i.imgur.com/qFH6s1l.png

i like, changed.

thanks mr h.

So I just installed a spare ubuntu 15.04 VM (unRAID is so cool) and have been using Shotwell with my unRAID photo library. I think Shotwell is going to suit my needs very well. I still want to test it out more but so far it is blazing fast to browse my photos and it organizes them by date. Also it updates the photo library automatically on every start of the application.

So I just installed a spare ubuntu 15.04 VM (unRAID is so cool) and have been using Shotwell with my unRAID photo library. I think Shotwell is going to suit my needs very well. I still want to test it out more but so far it is blazing fast to browse my photos and it organizes them by date. Also it updates the photo library automatically on every start of the application.

https://github.com/sparklyballs/private-repo/blob/templates/Sparkly-Private/Shotwell.xml

https://github.com/sparklyballs/private-repo/blob/templates/Sparkly-Private/Shotwell.xml

Interesting! Does it currently work? I am guessing docker with RDP or does shotwell have a web GUI that I don't know about?

Interesting! Does it currently work? I am guessing docker with RDP or does shotwell have a web GUI that I don't know about?

it worked as far as i remember, just had an issue with having to move windows to one side to get the import window dialog to show. and it is an rdp style docker.

it worked as far as i remember, just had an issue with having to move windows to one side to get the import window dialog to show. and it is an rdp style docker.

Does unRAID support dockers in XML? or I guess my real question is how do I install this to test this out?

Does unRAID support dockers in XML? or I guess my real question is how do I install this to test this out?

i'll put it in my beta repo, hang on.

think i might have one that does what you want.

photoshow.

i've got some kinks to work out, it's not saving the password for the site (just need to map a volume somewhere).

but so far it seems i can just throw some images into a folder (which can be a mapped volume on your unraid)

have a folder for thumbs and as far as i can tell so far it doesn't do anything to the original photos.