errr... Mostly Random Conversation of Photo Management

think i might have one that does what you want.

photoshow.

i've got some kinks to work out, it's not saving the password for the site (just need to map a volume somewhere).

but so far it seems i can just throw some images into a folder (which can be a mapped volume on your unraid)

have a folder for thumbs and as far as i can tell so far it doesn't do anything to the original photos.

And this is why Sparkly wears the superhero suit!  :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think i might have one that does what you want.

photoshow.

i've got some kinks to work out, it's not saving the password for the site (just need to map a volume somewhere).

but so far it seems i can just throw some images into a folder (which can be a mapped volume on your unraid)

have a folder for thumbs and as far as i can tell so far it doesn't do anything to the original photos.

I've tried it and it'll definitely suit my purposes, thanks Sparkly, and thanks archedraft for raising the issue and making me think about this, been putting it off for ages....

Hi Guys,

Just to chime in....  I think there are a couple of very different user expectations being discussed back and forth.

Photo Gallery

Some of us want to have some type of program that will take our phpto collection and create an easy way to browse and organize this. My thinking is that this would be a web page showing a bunch or galleries/albums/collections. This is something that Lychee seems designed to do, as well as the program mention in original post.

Photo Management

This is something more like a desktop app where one can "browse" images, tag, rate, convert, enhance, export, upload, etc. IMHO there is nothing better than Adobe Lightroom for this. Its a way to organize images and be able to "manage" the collection... something a person who makes a living taking pictures would use (or serious shutterbugs - like I can be at times).

Personally what I am looking for is the the first option. I have a chunk of images that are just sitting there, unused and unseen. I want my family to be able to see them, refer to them, download them, etc. To basically act as the modern version of the Photo Albums before digital photography. If it has a way to easily add new stuff, it would be awesome. I know there is instagram, facebook, picassa and all the other stuff... but that is sitting somewhere out there in the ether.

I have desktop computers and can install fancy software if I want to go for option 2. On this I agree with Trurl (after I initially disagreed with him)...

Shotwell, on their web site, seems to have a nice enough icon... I will take a peek at the one Sparkly used and see if I can enhance it. Stay tuned.

Hi Guys,

Just to chime in....  I think there are a couple of very different user expectations being discussed back and forth.

Photo Gallery

Some of us want to have some type of program that will take our phpto collection and create an easy way to browse and organize this. My thinking is that this would be a web page showing a bunch or galleries/albums/collections. This is something that Lychee seems designed to do, as well as the program mention in original post.

Photo Management

This is something more like a desktop app where one can "browse" images, tag, rate, convert, enhance, export, upload, etc. IMHO there is nothing better than Adobe Lightroom for this. Its a way to organize images and be able to "manage" the collection... something a person who makes a living taking pictures would use (or serious shutterbugs - like I can be at times).

Personally what I am looking for is the the first option. I have a chunk of images that are just sitting there, unused and unseen. I want my family to be able to see them, refer to them, download them, etc. To basically act as the modern version of the Photo Albums before digital photography. If it has a way to easily add new stuff, it would be awesome. I know there is instagram, facebook, picassa and all the other stuff... but that is sitting somewhere out there in the ether.

I have desktop computers and can install fancy software if I want to go for option 2. On this I agree with Trurl (after I initially disagreed with him)...

Shotwell, on their web site, seems to have a nice enough icon... I will take a peek at the one Sparkly used and see if I can enhance it. Stay tuned.

in your downtime i found another app called photoshow which fulfils a lot of people's wants.

you don't need to upload images to it (you can if you wish, but more on that later).  you map a folder with images on your unraid box and it generates thumbs for them in a separately mapped folder (on appdata). it only seems to do jpg's as far as i can tell so far, i haven't thrown any png's at it, but it definitely doesn't handle raws.

uploading can be done but the images are owned by www:data, which is not the best for unraid environment.

in your downtime i found another app called photoshow which fulfils a lot of people's wants.

you don't need to upload images to it (you can if you wish, but more on that later).  you map a folder with images on your unraid box and it generates thumbs for them in a separately mapped folder (on appdata). it only seems to do jpg's as far as i can tell so far, i haven't thrown any png's at it, but it definitely doesn't handle raws.

uploading can be done but the images are owned by www:data, which is not the best for unraid environment.

This sounds close to something I might use. Does it do subfolders? My photos are in a share with subfolders which groups them by "occasion", mostly vacations.

This sounds close to something I might use. Does it do subfolders? My photos are in a share with subfolders which groups them by "occasion", mostly vacations.

totally does subfolders.

i don't know about multiple main folders though, the documentation is somewhat scant and setting the folder is via a php config file. (which is done, during the docker build stage) you just have to map a folder on your unraid with photos in, and map the /Thumbs folder to your appdata share, it does thumbs as well as the config settings for users etc...

I am liking Photoshow....! I am doing a test... there is a nasty "delete" thing on the side pop-out menu, that does not warn or anything and it will delete the original original files. Something to be very cautious about. I copied a couple folder to do a test... and discovered this.

So I am testing this as we speak. Its not perfect but for me at least it is the best one so far by a LONG way.

It works with a RO photo share so I would suggest you experiment using that if you arent brave.

Comments:

The template asks for a thumbs folder but the tool puts another "Thumbs" folder inside it. No big deal.

Obviously there is the permissions thing you know about.

Full screen mode is nice.

Id rather generate all thumbs on one big session but not a big deal.

Downloading a whole folder in one zip is a lovely feature

Nice work that man. You need a captain docker superher avatar now :)

The template asks for a thumbs folder but the tool puts another "Thumbs" folder inside it. No big deal.

That is the default behaviour, whatever folder you choose it creates two folders inside it, one for thumbs themselves and the other for config files, i could change the name, but it's just semantics i feel.

Obviously there is the permissions thing you know about.

Bit more tricky, i could just run the whole thing as nobody:users, but it's a webserver using nginx and i don't know whether that's such a hot idea. I'll keep looking to see if there's any masking/permissions settings anywhere in the interface or settings.

I have a 156gb of photos but every time I now try to open a picture I am getting a 504 gateway timeout error, so maybe it's too much. Is there something I could check?

the docker log from the web page only shows this:

2015-06-04 18:36:22,627 INFO success: httpd entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

2015-06-04 18:36:22,627 INFO success: phpfpm entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

Jun 4 18:39:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1488]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 19:09:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1513]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 19:17:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1527]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Jun 4 19:39:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1530]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 20:09:02 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1544]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 20:17:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1558]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Jun 4 20:39:02 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1561]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 21:09:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1575]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 21:17:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1589]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

I am liking Photoshow....! I am doing a test... there is a nasty "delete" thing on the side pop-out menu, that does not warn or anything and it will delete the original original files. Something to be very cautious about. I copied a couple folder to do a test... and discovered this.

Couldn't you just map your original folder as read-only in the docker config?  Problem solved n'est pas?

I have a 156gb of photos but every time I now try to open a picture I am getting a 504 gateway timeout error, so maybe it's too much. Is there something I could check?

the docker log from the web page only shows this:

2015-06-04 18:36:22,627 INFO success: httpd entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

2015-06-04 18:36:22,627 INFO success: phpfpm entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

Jun 4 18:39:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1488]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 19:09:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1513]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 19:17:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1527]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Jun 4 19:39:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1530]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 20:09:02 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1544]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 20:17:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1558]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Jun 4 20:39:02 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1561]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 21:09:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1575]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

Jun 4 21:17:01 c3550697b4cf /USR/SBIN/CRON[1589]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

maybe try not to throw so much at it in one lump.

Couldn't you just map your original folder as read-only in the docker config?  Problem solved n'est pas?

Slapping my forehead.... I just spent half an hour figuring out how to edit the code of Shotwell, to disable that erase thing. BTW, I had to manually edit a file from the code of a Shotwell fork that fixes allowing users in "uploader" group to be able to upload.

I am formulating a workflow for this. I will copy my nearly 180GB photo folder (probably in small chunks) to my cache drive in /mnt/user/appdata/shotwell/pictures . Let that build up. Then, I will give my wife and I "uploader" rights in Shotwell. We can upload photos on the web interface... I will teach her how to create folders and upload the files from her phone etc. into it.

THEN, I will create an rsync task to synch from the Shotwell folder to my BIG photo folder in the array. Even if a mean hacker breaks in an erases all family photos, they are still backed up.

Now if I only could figure out how to enable videos.... I already edited a bunch of .css files to get the visuals right in my book.

Photoshow does seem like it will be pretty nice. The only thing that scares me is that if you click on your main photo folder and click on the "three bar right menu" there is a delete button... I have not pushed the button but it is pretty terrifying that one click might permanently delete every photo you own.

So I am testing this as we speak. Its not perfect but for me at least it is the best one so far by a LONG way.

It works with a RO photo share so I would suggest you experiment using that if you arent brave.

How did you set it up to be RO?

Photoshow does seem like it will be pretty nice. The only thing that scares me is that if you click on your main photo folder and click on the "three bar right menu" there is a delete button... I have not pushed the button but it is pretty terrifying that one click might permanently delete every photo you own.

How did you set it up to be RO?

This is how I did it, but haven't tested yet

3Picvvy.jpg