unRAID Server Release 6.0-rc4-x86_64 Available

Download

Clicking 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page is the preferred way to upgrade.

This is primarily a bug fix release along with some improvements:

* We got rid of saving all versions of previous releases on the flash device.  Instead, as part of the update process, we copy your currently running release (bzimage/bzroot plus a few other files) to a new directory on the flash called 'previous'.  After updating a release, if you find it necessary to go back to your previous version you can type this at the command line:

plugin remove unRAIDServer.plg

This will restore the files from the 'previous' directory.  Upon next reboot the server will be running that release.

You should manually get rid of any "v6.0-xxx" directories which may be cluttering your flash.

If there is not enough space on your flash to receive the new release, the update will fail, but your currently running release as well as whatever's stored in 'previous' will not be affected.

* The Shares page now includes a section that lists all the disk shares.  In fact this is how we now configure export and security settings for the disk shares.  If you click on the 'disk' links on the Main page, you will see this is now just "device" information.

* In the release notes you will see more kernel options enabled.  This is to accommodate our tracking down the 'dns' issue some people are seeing with docker/vm's.  This bug remains elusive...

Once again, I want to thank bonienl for his continued amazing improvements to dynamix, and to erics and jonp for continuing refinements to the VM manager.

There are a handful of changes we want to make still but, we are finally very close to 6.0 'stable' release.

EDIT: Something else I should point out: we added the concept of setting a COW (copy-on-write) attribute for a user share.  The label on this setting is "Enable COW: Auto/No" where the default is "Auto".  Auto means that if the underlying device file system supports COW then it will be enabled for the share on that device.  If the file system does not support COW, then Auto will essentially mean No.  This decision of whether to set COW to Auto or No can only be made at time a share is created and can't be changed afterwards (at least for now).

Really all this does, if set to "No" is attempt to do a 'chattr +C <directory>' and this will only work for btrfs.  We added this because we want to be able to create a share for vdisk storage where every file in the share will not have the COW attribute (because COW really slows down disk-intensive VM's).

EDIT: There is also a new tool under Tools/unRAID OS called Diagnostics.  This tool gathers up all the vital configuration and debugging information that is useful for diagnosing problems.  No personal info is gathered (like passwords, etc), but the names of your user shares will be included - just sayin'  ;D

Again thanks to bonienl for adapting from existing Diagnostics plugin which you should remove in you have installed.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there's no popup table with information about what the various balls/colours mean in either the main pane or shares pane.

Click the Help button.

not doing anything.

EDIT

help information doesn't come up in main or shares pane,

does come up in cache devices, boot device, unassigned devices and array operation

Personal preference but for those like me that like to read the notes:

Nice work

Version 6.0-rc4

---------------

- btrfs-progs: update to 4.0.1

- emhttp: fix bug where /mnt/user0 could be mounted when slot count decreased

- emhttp: don't count zero-size block devices against device limits

- emhttp: handle querystring variables with embedded single-quotes

- emhttp: added comment field for disk shares

- libvirt: patched rc.libvirt to eliminate bogus errors output to syslog

- libvirt: enabled virtual port capability

- linux: enable kernel options: 

CONFIG_MACVLAN: MAC-VLAN support 

CONFIG_MACVTAP: MAC-VLAN based tap driver 

CONFIG_NF_TABLES_BRIDGE: Ethernet Bridge nf_tables support 

CONFIG_NFT_BRIDGE_META: Netfilter nf_table bridge meta support 

CONFIG_BRIDGE_NF_EBTABLES: Ethernet Bridge tables (ebtables) support 

CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_*: (19 total Ethernet bridge tables)

- qemu: upgraded to SeaBIOS 1.8.1

- shfs: add NOCOW share support

- unRAIDServer plugin: preserve only "previous" release; removing current release will restore previous release

- webGui: fix Active Directory export settings not being active

- webGui: let user configure share COW flag

- webGui: make apcupsd driver_loaded script executable

- webGui: VM Manager: added Force Stop context menu option when VM is paused

- webGui: VM Manager: Fix: raw disk size display and adjustment capabilities

- webGUI: Docker: Fix: correctly calculate total data pulled stat

- webGUI: Docker: permit image to exist on user share

- webGUI: create Disk Shares page under Shares, move disk share settings

- webGUI: correct handling of sinqle quotes in share names

- webGUI: other misc changes/bug fixes

Nice, updated without issue.

Any explanation on why I would NOT want COW on a new share?

EDIT, wait nevermind. I think that would be for a share holding all the VMs I guess.

Exactly.  Updated the first post with this information.

Any explanation on why I would NOT want COW on a new share?

If you click the Help button then you get some explanatory text appearing.    If that is not clear enough then I would think that suggestions for improving it would be welcome.

EDIT, wait nevermind. I think that would be for a share holding all the VMs I guess.

That was my thinking.  The existing Help text recommends it for shares on BTRFS media holding docker images as well.

Looks good -- updated easily and seems to run just fine.

I did notice a couple things ...

(1)  On the quick system I put together to test this on I only have two disks ... one data plus parity.  Created one share ["DVDs"] and added a few folders to it.    On the shares page this share has a yellow triangle by it, which, according to the text that displays when you click Help, means "Some or all files are on unprotected storage."    This is, of course, WRONG.  Parity was just generated; then the DVD folders were added; and then parity was checked ... and all's okay.    I assume this status should be shown if you have a cache drive and not all files have been moved yet; but there's no cache drive.  But it sure seems like it should be a green ball in my case.

(2)  There's no tooltip on mouse-over for the icons on the Shares page => this feature works really nice on the Main tab ... it'd be nice if it did the same thing for the icons on the Shares page.

(3)  The Help button is nice; but it'd be nice if it "reset" to a cleared state when you switched tabs.  I was on the Dashboard and clicked Help to see what it would do ... answer is nothing.  Then clicked it again and it still did nothing.  Then clicked it a 3rd time and finally decided it really didn't do anything.  Clicked to a different page and Voila!!  There was help text displayed.    A few seconds of experimenting and it's obvious that the button simply turns it on/off and if it's on then you'll see the help on any tab that has help.    I think it would be more intuitive if, when you were on a tab and needed help, you simply clicked Help.  You could then turn it off (as now) by clicking it again ... or you could just go to another tab and it would automatically be turned off.

The existing Help text recommends it for shares on BTRFS media holding docker images as well.

Right that is another reason, though when a docker image file is created we still always unconditionally attempt to set 'nocow' on the image file.  Having the 'nocow' attribute set for user share directories comes in handy when you want to move image files between say, an array HDD (which might be xfs) and a cache SSD formatted with btrfs.

(1)  On the quick system I put together to test this on I only have two disks ... one data plus parity.  Created one share ["DVDs"] and added a few folders to it.    On the shares page this share has a yellow triangle by it, which, according to the text that displays when you click Help, means "Some or all files are on unprotected storage."    This is, of course, WRONG.  Parity was just generated; then the DVD folders were added; and then parity was checked ... and all's okay.    I assume this status should be shown if you have a cache drive and not all files have been moved yet; but there's no cache drive.  But it sure seems like it should be a green ball in my case.

Hmm, I'll check into this.

(2)  There's no tooltip on mouse-over for the icons on the Shares page => this feature works really nice on the Main tab ... it'd be nice if it did the same thing for the icons on the Shares page.

Right that still needs to be added, didn't make this release.

(3)  The Help button is nice; but it'd be nice if it "reset" to a cleared state when you switched tabs.  I was on the Dashboard and clicked Help to see what it would do ... answer is nothing.  Then clicked it again and it still did nothing.  Then clicked it a 3rd time and finally decided it really didn't do anything.  Clicked to a different page and Voila!!  There was help text displayed.    A few seconds of experimenting and it's obvious that the button simply turns it on/off and if it's on then you'll see the help on any tab that has help.    I think it would be more intuitive if, when you were on a tab and needed help, you simply clicked Help.  You could then turn it off (as now) by clicking it again ... or you could just go to another tab and it would automatically be turned off.

It used to work like this.. there are pluses/minuses to both approaches.. something we'll consider.

I don't mind the way it works right now, but the help button would make more sense as a toggle like the "Advanced/Basic" view toggle on the docker tab.

I don't mind the way it works right now, but the help button would make more sense as a toggle like the "Advanced/Basic" view toggle on the docker tab.

It is a toggle the way it's working.    What's not intuitive about it is that if you toggle it on while viewing a tab that has no help, nothing changes (except the "Help" button is visually slightly depressed).  It's clearly not a big deal ... but I think it'd be more intuitive if it reset whenever you changed tabs.  I suppose a "Default Help State" setting could control whether that "reset" was to an on or off state  :)

now i feel like an idiot, lol.

apart from that everything else seems to be ok,

and on a plus, my mac finder sidebar now has unraid-nas showing how it should be instead of all caps.

have you clicked advanced and set the variables ?

Ummm, no  :-[

i feel your shame

I feel your shame  ;D

RC4 is my first jump into the RCs (coming from b15).

Upgrade went smoothly.  Everything seems to be running as expected.

My only request is based on formatting...

Can the icons on the VM tab be scaled down to be the same size as the ones on the Docker tab?

Can they also have a status overlay like the Docker ones (green arrow for running, red square for stopped)?

Of course these are VERY minor and do not impact functionality.  It's just my OCD kicking into high gear!  :D

John

EDIT:  scratch all of that...had to refresh the page.

It is a toggle the way it's working.    What's not intuitive about it is that if you toggle it on while viewing a tab that has no help, nothing changes (except the "Help" button is visually slightly depressed).  It's clearly not a big deal ... but I think it'd be more intuitive if it reset whenever you changed tabs.  I suppose a "Default Help State" setting could control whether that "reset" was to an on or off state  :)

Personally I find it very annoying to switch on every time 'help' when a page is changed, when I want help then I want it to be there all the time, again my personal view.

When every page has some help information it would be clearer that help mode is on or off (besides the highlighting of the button), could be an objective :)

Makes no real difference to me -- neither approach is "better" ... it's just a matter of preference.    I rarely look at help pages -- and when I click on Help it's because I want help with THAT tab ... not every tab.

I notice Tom said it used to work the way I suggested, and was changed before actually being released => I suspect that was because of your preference  :) :)

Doesn't really matter -- either way works just fine. 

I thought this very minor reporting issue was mentioned in earlier betas but I still see it in RC4.

Max/Installed memory seems buggered...

8jTxl3G.png

Also, should the system information report on the total # of physical CPUs (I have two)?

John

I thought this very minor reporting issue was mentioned in earlier betas but I still see it in RC4.

Max/Installed memory seems buggered...

John

Proves that Unraid will run on pretty minimal hardware though  ::)

now i feel like an idiot, lol.

apart from that everything else seems to be ok,

and on a plus, my mac finder sidebar now has unraid-nas showing how it should be instead of all caps.

have you clicked advanced and set the variables ?

Ummm, no  :-[

i feel your shame

I feel your shame  ;D

did you have that saved in a text file somewhere ready to pounce with ? lol.