Migrating from Plex plugin to Plex docker

I'm currently looking to upgrade to RC4 and use docker instead of the plex plugin I am currently using, however, I would like to keep my settings / metadata and watched status.

I currently have a cache only appdata folder on the cache drive, which has PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/ which should have all the settings I want to use, but I am very new to docker and am not 100% sure how I would back this up.

My plan is to remove my current cache drive (figuratively, it will still be attached to the system until I have finished) and replace it with a new SSD.

The instructions on http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Using_Docker are a bit confusing, for example under prerequisites it says "A share created called “appdata” that will be used to store application metadata." and then makes no further mention of how that is used.

If I understand it correctly:

[*]I assign the new drive, set it as btrfs.

[*]Mount old cache drive with unassigned devices plugin (I've already installed this)

[*]Create a cache only appdata folder and copy /PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/ from old cache drive into that folder on new cache drive

[*]Enable docker through the webgui

[*]Specify an initial image size ( I assume as /Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/ is stored *outside* this image it doesn't need to be too big, any suggestions for the size?  What dictates how big it needs to be? )

[*]Pick a location, the guide recommends on the root so /mnt/cache/plexmediaserver.img ? or would it be better to create a dockers cache only folder so I don't have a load of docker img's littering the root of the cache drive?  Or is the 1 docker image used for all the dockers, in which case it would be /mnt/cache/docker.img

[*]Apply and start docker service

[*]Install the docker ( which one? needo? binhex? gfjardim? other? )

[*]Configure path with /config ->  /mnt/cache/adddata/PlexMediaServer/

[*]Configure path with /mnt ->  /mnt/

[*]Start it?

Am I missing anything in that?

Or is the 1 docker image used for all the dockers, in which case it would be /mnt/cache/docker.img
This

I have a 20GB img and with about a dozen dockers only half used so far.

Also:

Network: host? bridge?

Priviledged: Enabled? Disabled?

Bind time: Enabled? Disabled?

The docker templates already have these things set.
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the quick guide. I am now up and running with a Plex docker using needo:latest.

However, I have an issue where the docker will not pull the latest PlexPass version, despite me forcing a docker update through the Unraid GUI. Did you ever encounter this?

Edit: some extra info

Container is created as a Host (default option)

only Volume Mappings are /mnt:/mnt/ and /config:/mnt/cache/apps/plex

Hey, thanks for the quick guide. I am now up and running with a Plex docker using needo:latest.

However, I have an issue where the docker will not pull the latest PlexPass version, despite me forcing a docker update through the Unraid GUI. Did you ever encounter this?

Edit: some extra info

Container is created as a Host (default option)

only Volume Mappings are /mnt:/mnt/ and /config:/mnt/cache/apps/plex

Felix,

If you did the install this morning, the needo/plex docker uses a script that runs on my VPS to determine the latest Plexpass version.  The datacenter where that is hosted is currently having network connectivity issues.  The docker automatically falls back to the public version during install if the plexpass script isn't responding.  This isn't a normal occurrance.

Edit:  The network issues appear to be resolved, stopping/restarting the plex docker instance should upgrade your install to the latest plexpass version.

-Eric/Heuristic

Felix,

If you did the install this morning, the needo/plex docker uses a script that runs on my VPS to determine the latest Plexpass version.  The datacenter where that is hosted is currently having network connectivity issues.  The docker automatically falls back to the public version during install if the plexpass script isn't responding.  This isn't a normal occurrance.

-Eric/Heuristic

Ah! Thanks for the note. Hope all turns out well on your end.

Edit: Just restarted it and the log shows me that it is happily updating to latest PlexPass. Cheers!

I'm having problems with my plex migration.  My v5 plex plugin directory is /mnt/user/AppData/plex  I'm pointing /config at that directory.  It's not grabbing any of the previous setup information.

I've also pointed /mnt to /mnt.

Ideas?  Info needed?  Thanks!

Edit:  Running needo latest.

I just did this the other day.  Plex outlines the best way to do this on their page:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

As far as the docker & mapping goes, this is what I did:

Media - /mnt/user/Media/

COnfig - /mnt/cache/Dockers/PlexMediaServer

I didn't bother trying to point Plex to the old config, I just moved it via the instructions on plex.

I got it figured out, I just didn't have my old data in the proper location.  I ended up restoring an original copy of the plex app data to a temp location then wiped out the plex config directory pointed to by the docker container.  When I restarted the plex server it created the directory-structure it was looking for.  I then stopped it and put my existing library data in place.  Start the server back up and it's working great.