Safe to use unraid V6 rc4 as production/home server?

Golfonauta

Hello,

I use unraid to share my files home and I want to update to v6 to start using some features I have just lived without for a long time as DLNA and others.

As this will be a long time task (to configure and personaliza pluggins I asume) I want to do it with a version that last long enough, and I supose that means to use V6 rc4, I just want to be sure I will not lose any data or leave my system irresponsive for doing this upgrade.

What are your experiences?

Thanks

Hello,

I use unraid to share my files home and I want to update to v6 to start using some features I have just lived without for a long time as DLNA and others.

As this will be a long time task (to configure and personaliza pluggins I asume) I want to do it with a version that last long enough, and I supose that means to use V6 rc4, I just want to be sure I will not lose any data or leave my system irresponsive for doing this upgrade.

What are your experiences?

Thanks

What version are you on now? There isn't any DLNA capability built-in and probably never will be, but you could add something like Plex and get it.

The longest part of the task will be learning about all the new stuff. For example, plugins are not recommended for most things in unRAID v6. Dockers are the way to go.

V6rc4 by definition will not last long. You want to wait for V6 stable, or possibly until V6.1 development gets underway and go for whatever V6.0x stable winds up being.

In the meantime, you could go ahead and start on the longest part of the upgrade process (learning) by reading about V6 in the wiki.

I use 5.03 version now.

Well, yes! I understand that what was used to be a plugin is now better managed as a docker. I never used plugins because it always seemed not well controlled stuff.

I used some V5 rc is the past and some beta versions because I wanted 3TB support and some other improvements.

If v6 RC4 is stable enough (not losing data is main part) I would like to use it and see if plex or any other docker is a good DLNA server for my KODI client and the music amplifier.

Thanks.

I've been using V6 since beta 12 I think and no problems at all with data loss.

The way I see it is that the RC phase is the right time to start using the product, not 100% stable maybe, but certainly almost there, so best to test it on your hardware and spot any issues that are more likely to get fixed before final release. 

If you wait until final release then I'm guessing the development cycle will slow down somewhat.

Comparing V5 with V6 is like comparing night and day, I've been amazed and incredibly impressed with all the changes and it has fundamentally changed how I use my hardware and enabled me to do things I never would have dreamt of six months ago.

V6 Unraid is awesome.

I use 5.03 version now.

5.06 is the current stable version.

I know, but updating is always a risk, I prefer to change when I see a good reason to.

;D

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  is sometimes a very good motto  :)

... but I'd nevertheless at least update to v5.0.6 just to be sure you have the final v5 stable release.

As for moving to v6 => it's certainly getting CLOSE ... but there are still a few notable bugs that have been identified in the RC4 release thread, so you may want to wait for the stable release before making that move.

... just to be clear, however, if the bugs noted in RC4 don't seem to apply to what you would be doing, RC4 IS a very stable platform and it's not likely that anything you do to get everything set up the way you like would need re-doing when the final release is out.    In short:  there's nothing wrong with making the move now => but as cautious as you've been in the past I certainly understand if you'd prefer to wait for the stable v6 release.

ok, installed and trying.

First thing is that make bootable bat failed in my spanish windows 7 x64. Solved by workaround: CMD\>f:\syslinux\syslinux.exe -maf f:

The batch file found my label to be"F es UNRAID"

docker started and now looking into how to add a proper docker :)

First thing is that make bootable bat failed in my spanish windows 7 x64. Solved by workaround: CMD\>f:\syslinux\syslinux.exe -maf f:

Have you seen the V6 Wiki?

Yes Sir, just trying to follow it slowly and nicely  8)

I'm in the : Adding Template Repositories - section, and taking my time to decide how to proceed

Have you seen the V6 Wiki?