unRAID 6 on Hyper-V...where does it stand?

.. you can mount the VMDKs thru that.  Awesome.

Yes, you can, look at this plugin thread (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38635.0), you can't mount VMDKs with first releases but it's corrected now by the author. thanks again to gfjardim for this great plugin :)

hmmmm not working for me. I only see the CDROM drive and I have it mounted thru..

ESXi - V6.0

3dffFAs.png

Unassigned Devices

mHYpBdF.png

Just got Hyper-V up and running but it looks like there is indeed no way to passthrough USB flash drives (only usb hard drives) as bootable devices in Hyper-V for guests.  That's a bummer.

Yes, that's what I recall from the attempts I made a couple years ago to do it.    I guess I had hoped that perhaps a newer version of Hyper-V might have improved on that, but apparently not.

unRAID must be installed on a USB flash device is that correct?  It can't be to any type of SSD?  The reason I'm asking is that I was able to get it to boot and run on Hyper-V using a VHD and a 16GB SATA DOM but I get a flash device error probably because unRAID  can't read the GUID off the SSD.

Since there is no way to passthrough USB flash drives to Hyper-V guests, if usb flash drives are the only way to install unRAID then it looks like unRAID as an option on Hyper-V is officially dead until they start supporting USB flash drive passthrough.  In which case my Hyper-V experiment will officially end.

Yes, the key verification requires a flash drive ... that's the issue that always comes up when trying this in Hyper-V.

I believe you can run the free version of v5 okay, since it doesn't require a key (and possibly the v6 trial); but any version that requires a key will fail.

It will boot off a VHD with no problem ... it just has to have the flash drive for key verification.  That's how many folks do it with ESXi, as it's much faster than booting directly off the flash drive.  [30 sec boot vs. 5 minutes]    But as I understand it, there's no way to pass the flash drive through to a VM in Hyper-V so it will validate it correctly.  That's been the problem every time I've seen attempts to use Hyper-V for the past few years ... guess it still is  :'(

Yes, the key verification requires a flash drive ... that's the issue that always comes up when trying this in Hyper-V.

I believe you can run the free version of v5 okay, since it doesn't require a key (and possibly the v6 trial); but any version that requires a key will fail.

It will boot off a VHD with no problem ... it just has to have the flash drive for key verification.  That's how many folks do it with ESXi, as it's much faster than booting directly off the flash drive.  [30 sec boot vs. 5 minutes]    But as I understand it, there's no way to pass the flash drive through to a VM in Hyper-V so it will validate it correctly.  That's been the problem every time I've seen attempts to use Hyper-V for the past few years ... guess it still is  :'(

Yea if it must be a flash drive then it won't work.  I got it to boot off VHD but when it looks at the SATA DOM I also have attached to the VM, unRAID shows a flash device error at the top of the screen as you can see below.  This is a fresh install on unRAID 6 with no license key on the VHD or SATA DOM.

unRAID%20flash%20device%20error_zpsnxzvqqhr.jpg

... I just remembered jon said they added Hyper-V guest drivers in version 6b12.

Ahh yes, I'd forgotten that as well  :)

Guess the bottom line is this still isn't going to work with Hyper-V ... and likely won't unless Hyper-V is updated to allow USB passthrough.

Yea.  I think at this point I'm going to re-install ESXi and try 6b15 which seems to not have the USB reset errors which seems to kill the performance of unRAID for me.  I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing out on any features in 6b15 that are in the final release.

• 2 weeks later...