unRAID unresponsive intermittently

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is crazy.  Using the new flash I loaded unRAID 5.0.6 on it, a fresh install downloaded from Lime Tech.  I made it bootable and booted the server with it.  I restored the defaults in the BIOS.  I turned off serial, parallel, and floppy controllers.  I gave the USB priority in the boot list and then booted up.  unRAID loaded perfectly.  I then get the GUID to send to Lime Tech, which I did, and then reboot.  Upon reboot it attempts to load unRAID and I get the same USB errors as before on the old Flash.  This is a new flash with fresh install of unRAID?  The motherboard, cpu, and power supply are all new.  The memory came from the old system which was memory tested for 5 days with no errors.  Very confusing.

If its plugged into a USB3 port, plug it into a USB2 (and vice versa)  If there's still no change, most BIOS will allow you to disable USB2 support and only use it as 1.1  (will only affect the boot speed) 
Memtest doesn't always catch errors. I'd swap that as well as the next step. It very well could have been the memory all along.

Funny you say this, I just started thinking the same thing.  I decided to install the memory that came with this new bundle in my old system with the old flash.  Ironically, it is working.  Who knows for how long though.  I feel like I've been here before. :)  I'll be testing.

Memtest doesn't always catch errors. I'd swap that as well as the next step. It very well could have been the memory all along.

Sigh...I think I'm throwing in the towel.  I have tried just about every troubleshooting step I can think of to try and isolate what the exact problem is here and I still come up with nothing.  The only thing I can think of to do now is basically scrap the entire server except the hard drives and purchase new everything else.  If the issue persists after that then I must be cursed.

The only challenge with doing this is I would like to purchase equipment that most are already using and it can be a little difficult to understand what that might be.  In case you wish to offer any recommendations I'll probably purchase an i5, i7, or Xeon processor so that I have enough processing power to run Plex effectively.  From there I'm not sure.  Any motherboard and power supply recommendations would be appreciated.  My hope is to find a motherboard with at least 8 SATA ports on it.   

Any motherboard and power supply recommendations would be appreciated.  My hope is to find a motherboard with at least 8 SATA ports on it. 

Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F has 14 ports, and is the board that Limetech used in their last batch of servers they sold as complete units. I personally have it in one of my servers, and it's been great. It's expensive, but not as expensive as getting a similar board with 6 or 8 ports and adding a controller card to get to the 14 port count. Since you are building a new server, I'd not reuse anything, and start over with a couple 4TB drives, migrate data and set up apps fresh. Add new drives as you can, and leave the old setup intact as a backup while you test out and work with the new rig.

Had the same problem today first time since using v6 - Server was in sleep, woke up, and nothing - no WebGUI, no telnet - unresponsible.

Syslog is empty. I did a "Hard-Reset".

No changes on Hardware since ages - just upgrade from 5.0.6 to 6.0.0 - strange  ;)

Never had a complete unresponsibility in v5.0.6  ???

Had the same problem today first time since using v6 - Server was in sleep, woke up, and nothing
Stock unraid does not support sleep because it is very hard to make every different combination of hardware and software wake properly. Remove the add on that allowed your server to sleep and you will not have that issue.

Had the same problem today first time since using v6 - Server was in sleep, woke up, and nothing - no WebGUI, no telnet - unresponsible.

Syslog is empty. I did a "Hard-Reset".

No changes on Hardware since ages - just upgrade from 5.0.6 to 6.0.0 - strange  ;)

Never had a complete unresponsibility in v5.0.6  ???

Ugh...sorry to hear, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)  Just so you know, my freezes came from 5.0.5.  They most often occurred during writes to the array.  I still have no clue exactly what the problem is. 

Me too  ;)

Under v5.0.6 i had this issue 2-3x in 5 Years but i was always able to telnet and make a reboot.

But today even telnet was not working! This was completely new for me.

Regarding Sleep: I will not remove an "essential" function of my unRAID-Server - i am not mad and pay tonns of money to the electricity-provider  8)

Under v5.0.6 sleep was always working well - let's see how it will do in v6  ;)

Regarding Sleep: I will not remove an "essential" function of my unRAID-Server - i am not mad and pay tonns of money to the electricity-provider  8)

Under v5.0.6 sleep was always working well - let's see how it will do in v6  ;)

Just because sleep worked on v5 on your system, that does not mean it will work on v6.    You have a brand new 64-bit Linux kernel and a new set of 64-bit device drivers with v6.  Any of them misbehaving with sleep and you will have problems.  You can try and get it working again, but any issues resulting from trying to use sleep mode will be unsupported.