Advice on first build

yardley

Hi all, looking to put together my first NAS. Initially I will be using it to back up data as well as for SABnzbd, Sick Beard, Couch Potato and SQL. Do the specs below look ok?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nWvPdC

I'm starting with one Norco SS-500 and will eventually add two additional ones for a total of 15 drives. Is the Antec Nine Hundred a good choice? I was also considering the Sharkoon T9 case. Also wanted to know if my choice of power supply is sufficient and also if 16GB is overkill or would 8GB be ok?

Nice motherboard;  reasonable choice of processor (A Xeon would be better);  WRONG memory -- the board requires unbuffered ECC RAM ... you've listed registered modules;  8GB is enough RAM if you're not planning to run any VMs, although extra "headroom" is always a good idea, so you may want to stay with 16GB.

I'd use a better power supply ... a Seasonic X series or Corsair HX, AX, or TX series unit.  The wattage is fine.

Nice motherboard;  reasonable choice of processor (A Xeon would be better);  WRONG memory -- the board requires unbuffered ECC RAM ... you've listed registered modules;  8GB is enough RAM if you're not planning to run any VMs, although extra "headroom" is always a good idea, so you may want to stay with 16GB.

I'd use a better power supply ... a Seasonic X series or Corsair HX, AX, or TX series unit.  The wattage is fine.

Thanks for the reply. I'd love a Xeon but I'm trying to keep my cost low, maybe later. I will stay with 16GB, thanks for pointing out the incompatibility with the memory. The Antec power supply I chose is actually made by Seasonic. I've had the same one in my gaming PC for about 2 years with no issues. With that information would you still switch it out for one of the ones you suggested? 

... it is, however, clearly an error in the description on the site you listed.

The Crucial site shows that that specific part # is indeed a pair of  unbuffered ECC modules ...

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct2kit102472bd160b

Thanks for clearing that up. I have switched gears a bit and I'm considering this build now:

Motherboard - SuperMicro X10SL7-F

CPU - Intel Core i3-4170 3.7 GHz]Intel Core i3-4170 3.7 GHz

Memory - Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) CT2KIT102472BD160B

Case - Fractal 804

PSU - Seasonic SS-460FL2

I like the form factor of this case and it is able to hold (10) 3.5" drives. I'm thinking (10) 6TB drives, 8 for data with the remaining two for parity/cache which leaves me with 48TB for data. It also looks like more drives can be added using a multimount from OWC.

I'm thinking of connecting the drives like this:

8 SATA data drives to the 8 SAS2 ports

1 SATA cache drive to the first SATA III port

1 SATA parity drive to the second SATA III port

Leaving the 4 SATA II ports unused. I read in another thread that you can connect up to 4 SATA hard drives to a SAS port using a reverse breakout cable but when I look up one of these cables the connector doesn't look like a regular SATA connector which is what all of the ports on this motherboard look like. I'm just trying to think ahead for future expandability options. It would be great if someone can clear this up and I'd also like to hear your thoughts on this build. 

That's an excellent build ... and the Fractal is a VERY nice case.

That motherboard doesn't use SFF-8087 connectors, so you don't use reverse breakout cables with it.    You just use standard SATA cables.

Gotcha, so I can only connect a single SATA drive to each SAS port? If that's the case and I want to add more drives then I'd have to go with a PCI expansion card or should I make use of the SATA II ports?