Any mac users with timemachine or Carbon Copy Cloner backing up to Unraid?

I'm using Unraid 6RCx and having all sorts of issues backing up my Macbook.

My preferred method is to use CCC with smb by creating a sparseimage disk file:

1) I have created a public share

2) CCC set to create the sparseimage disk (acknowledge the 4GB limit if FAT32)

3) It starts to create a file macbook.sparseimage (showing 876.6MB in Finder)

4) After 5 mins of trying to create it, it gives an error that file cannot be created and deletes the file (Destination filesystem not responding)

With Time Machine it would backup (AFP switched on) but when I tried to look at files created in the past, it would take forever to find anything.

I'm using OSX 10.10.3

Anyone got this working?

Tony

Tried both..

I am suspecting a flaky drive (although no errors in unraid) so I am pre clearing a couple to see if another drive works better.

I did try a different user share and it seemed to create the sparse disk bundle ok.

Will try again tomorrow when the drives are finished clearing :-)

I've created a user share, AFP/public, and selected ' Yes (timemachine)' as export type... that's about it :) Mac finds it, uses it, and looking back in timemachine is no problem as well. Once every year or so the mac magically looses the disk, and i have to set it up again. Also, once every 4 to 6 or so months for some reason the mac keeps the unraid disk spinning up, i have to reboot the mac to solve that... for that special 'windows' feeling ;)

You're going to love this answer: Although Apple has committed to moving away from AFP to SMB, they dropped the ball on getting sparsebundles to work on SMB shares. Short version: You can't create / reliably use (especially encrypted) sparsebundles on an SMB share. i wasted about a day trying to make that work. CCC's documentation talks about why.

if you want to use CCC with unraid, share a disk out via AFP and it'll work.

Time machine works, but I found it's reliability to be problematic.

Personally I use time machine to backup to local USB disks, and CCC to make redundant copies to unraid.