Windows 10 insider preview

Anyone download the Windows 10 insider preview to check it out? I was curious. I was unable to install it since it couldn't find any storage device to install on, but I haven't read up on VM's at all. More curious about if Windows is trying to be like Apple and force people to pay for Apps!? I run Windows 8 but I use a little $5 utility called Start8. Disables all that "metro" ui gibberish that I don't like.

I've installed '10 in both a VM (under VMware Workstation) and on a "real" system with no issues.

By the way, if you haven't used it yet, you'll like the interface MUCH better than '8 => no need for an add-on like Start8.    Microsoft probably wouldn't like this characterization, but in essence they've combined the best features of '7 and '8 for the new OS  :)

It's very nicely done ... and the final should be pretty close to the current preview build (10130).

Anyone download the Windows 10 insider preview to check it out? I was curious. I was unable to install it since it couldn't find any storage device to install on, but I haven't read up on VM's at all. More curious about if Windows is trying to be like Apple and force people to pay for Apps!? I run Windows 8 but I use a little $5 utility called Start8. Disables all that "metro" ui gibberish that I don't like.

Make sure to install the virtio drivers so it can find the storage medium.

This is clearly the key to installing it on a KVM VM.

Note, by the way, the Windows 10 does NOT provide any means for playback of DVDs ... a feature that was included in '7, and easily added to '8 with the Media Center Pak.    They have indicated this capability will be added "in the future" ... but haven't provided any further details on that, so if you want to play your media from within '10 you'll need a 3rd party app.

When it shows the screen during the installation where it would usually show a disk, click on "load drivers" and browse to the virtio driver CD (you'll need to specify the ISO when you set up the VM). after that, it'll show up the disk you assigned and your off. Mine blue-screened after one reboot during installation,  but its been fine since.

This is clearly the key to installing it on a KVM VM.

Note, by the way, the Windows 10 does NOT provide any means for playback of DVDs ... a feature that was included in '7, and easily added to '8 with the Media Center Pak.    They have indicated this capability will be added "in the future" ... but haven't provided any further details on that, so if you want to play your media from within '10 you'll need a 3rd party app.

I use VLC media player on all my current Windows machines, but rarely use my computer to watch movies/DVD's or BD. I have Dune Media Player connected to my video setup and use that pretty much %100 of the time to view any media. Can't native BD with VLC (at least I don't think so), but it can play the *.m2ts file fine.

When it shows the screen during the installation where it would usually show a disk, click on "load drivers" and browse to the virtio driver CD (you'll need to specify the ISO when you set up the VM). after that, it'll show up the disk you assigned and your off. Mine blue-screened after one reboot during installation,  but its been fine since.

Was just looking for those virtio drivers. My system isn't powerful, so I may just skip VM's all together until my new build later on. I'll keep my Esxi box up for now.

WOW, got Windows 10 installed. Amazing. And I just have a Duo Core with 8GB of ram. I see that Win10 is picking up a totally different subnet/gateway then my own network, and I wanted to try and connect to Win10 via Windows Remote Desktop. Has anyone been able to RDP into their Win10 docker? I'm just amazed  how easy it was to setup and install and I still can't believe I'm using unRAID to do this! What a distance from that version 4.7 I use to run. The built in VNC is ok, but rather use Windows RDP.

What are the network settings you're using?    I've not yet built any KVM VM's, but am surprised that the subnet/gateway are different, unless that's by design.  I'd think you'd WANT to be on the same subnet.

Nice to know it's running well on your rather modest hardware -- although I've actually found that ANY system with a Core architecture chip with at least a 1500 Passmark score runs quite nicely for most purposes.  In fact, my main desktop (what I'm typing this on) is just an E8400 [nicely configured, however -- 500GB SSD, 8GB, 3GB, 3GB, 2GB hard drives, fairly good video card, etc.].  I have 3 i7-4790 systems available if I need more "horsepower" [wife's and two HTPCs], but almost never bother.

What are the network settings you're using?    I've not yet built any KVM VM's, but am surprised that the subnet/gateway are different, unless that's by design.  I'd think you'd WANT to be on the same subnet.

Nice to know it's running well on your rather modest hardware -- although I've actually found that ANY system with a Core architecture chip with at least a 1500 Passmark score runs quite nicely for most purposes.  In fact, my main desktop (what I'm typing this on) is just an E8400 [nicely configured, however -- 500GB SSD, 8GB, 3GB, 3GB, 2GB hard drives, fairly good video card, etc.].  I have 3 i7-4790 systems available if I need more "horsepower" [wife's and two HTPCs], but almost never bother.

For the docker, since I have a Q35 chipset, I used Q35 for the option "machine'. And then I used the default for Network Bridge of "docker0".

For my unraid network settings I use these:

Enable Bonding: NO

Setup Bridge: NO

Enable STP: YES

And then I have my IP address filled out, gateway and DNS servers....all pointing to my Asus AC68 router.

Something has happened from my recent post to now. Now the VM won't pick up an IP address at all. I even went to the Spartan history and saw the sites I visited before. I didn't make any changes and the adapter settings in the VM is set to obtain an address automatically. Hmmmmmmm, I think it was ok on RC4. I upgraded to quickly but this VM was just a test. Maybe I'll reinstall and see if I get the same results. Having seen Win10 pickup a completely different IP and subnet and still connect to the Internet baffled me.

EDIT: found myself rushing and using the word 'docker' instead of VM.

I changed the VM network bridge from docker0 to virbr0 and I'm once again connected to the network and Internet with Win10 VM but using a complete different IP address. My router is suppose to give out 192.168.1.x addresses so I guess unRaid or the docker is giving this Windows 10 this address, which I can't access from my network.

I'm able to reach out and even see my unRaid shares from within the VM but unable to reach the VM from outside because of the IP network settings it was given. A little bit fooling around maybe I can set it up to where the VM will pull an IP from the router. Which is what my Esxi does with my other VM's. Probably one of the settings in unRaids network config I'm just guessing.

win10ipconfig.jpg.2c46581e60e0a1cb711a9ac8e5cd74e9.jpg

I changed the VM network bridge from docker0 to virbr0 and I'm once again connected to the network and Internet with Win10 VM but using a complete different IP address. My router is suppose to give out 192.168.1.x addresses so I guess unRaid or the docker is giving this Windows 10 this address, which I can't access from my network.

That is because virbr0 is a 'NAT' style bridge that only allows outgoing connections (and has its own inbuilt DHCP server for assigning IP addresses).

As was mentioned if you want the VM to be visible on the LAN then you need to go to Settings->Network Settings and define a bridge there.  Most people seem to simply use br0 as the name (do not use one that clashes with the built-in virbr0 or docker0 bridges supplied as standard).  Assigning this to the VM and it will then get its own IP address from your router (assuming the VM is set to use DHCP) and be visible on the LAN just like any physical machine would be.  You can also assign a fixed IP in the same range as your LAN although DHCP is recommended.  I use this technique to enable me to RDP into my Windows 10 VM.

That is because virbr0 is a 'NAT' style bridge that only allows outgoing connections (and has its own inbuilt DHCP server for assigning IP addresses).

As was mentioned if you want the VM to be visible on the LAN then you need to go to Settings->Network Settings and define a bridge there.  Most people seem to simply use br0 as the name (do not use one that clashes with the built-in virbr0 or docker0 bridges supplied as standard).  Assigning this to the VM and it will then get its own IP address from your router (assuming the VM is set to use DHCP) and be visible on the LAN just like any physical machine would be.  You can also assign a fixed IP in the same range as your LAN although DHCP is recommended.  I use this technique to enable me to RDP into my Windows 10 VM.

This is starting to blow me away. The VM works perfectly, although a little slow. I am connecting now via RDP, changing my main unRaid network settings to bridge mode as recommend by the previous couple posts did exactly that. Able to access the Win10 VM no problem. I can't believe how much unRaid has grown up. Everyday when I try something new I get surprised!

Thanks for pointing this out, had no idea I could download a preview of Windows 10.  Got it all installed now. 

I don't rate the new iso for virtio drivers though, found it far more difficult than with the older versions to work out what was what.

Thanks for pointing this out, had no idea I could download a preview of Windows 10.  Got it all installed now. 

I don't rate the new iso for virtio drivers though, found it far more difficult than with the older versions to work out what was what.

On the download page they supply a Win10 Preview key but I didn't have to use it or apply it anywhere.

Hopefully when MS releases Win10 they will have ISO's to download for a clean install. The craziness and questions now are all about how this "free" version of Windows 10 will be implemented on top of Win 7/8.2. Some of us only like fresh/clean installs. Hopefully there is a way to do that but no confirmations from MS yet that I have found.

My understanding is that it will work the same way '8 did for "upgrades".

i.e. you'll be asked during the process how much you want to keep (data only; programs and data; or nothing) ... and if you respond "nothing" it will wipe the disk and do a clean install.

BTW, I also downloaded the Win10 ISO ENTERPRISE edition preview and was unable to get passed the first setup dialog box, where it asks you what language. I deleted, re-created the VM and same thing. Rebooted server as well. The consumer ISO preview is still chugging along as can be expected.

Maybe someone else can try out the Enterprise ISO out?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-enterprise-insider-preview

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got a USB controller to pass through successfully?

I've had no trouble passing through 13.0 / 13.2 to VMs under Xen or to a linux VM under KVM but I've tried both these techniques to no avail with Windows 10;

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36768.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38259.0

In both cases, the VM starts up but there's no keyboard or mouse input. I can pass through discrete devices by checking them in the config page but one item I need to passthrough is a set of SoundSticks and these don't work well unless attached to a passed-through controller.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have been successful passing through a USB controller in Windows 10 but this was on an older beta. Here is my XML file for reference. I did GPU and USB controller pass through in this example.

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Win10Test</name>
  <uuid>b2444916-caa2-a6b8-10ab-162215a8f10f</uuid>
  <description>Win 10 Latest</description>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.2'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='2' cores='2' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/VMs/KVM/Win10Test/Win10Test.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Programs/DreamSpark/Windows 10 Technical Preview - 9926/Windows10_TechnicalPreview_x64_EN-US_9926.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:d3:ed:9e'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='none' model='none'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=pcie.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=00:14.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

The last 2 qemu:arg entry's are for the USB controller and I added the addresses to my vfio bind in the go file like so.

/usr/local/sbin/vfio-bind 0000:01:00.0 0000:01:00.1 0000:00:14.0

Doing this required removing lines that were needed for VNC. These should not be in the XML.

<serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='vmvga' vram='16384' heads='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>

I plugged my keyboard mouse and other USB devices into the controller that I passed through.

Note though that things are different now where we don't use vfio bind anymore so I'm not sure if this would even work. I'll have to experiment with it myself to see if I can get it to work.

EDIT: There is a new Windows 10 build out, 10162. It is a lot more polished and I've had no trouble with it.

Gary