[FEATURE REQUEST] - Ability to order/delay container and VM startup

Not sure if this was requested previously or not.  Can we have the ability to...

1.  Control the order in which containers and VMs start as one or more may have dependencies on others

2.  Add a delay value to when a container or VM starts

Make sense?  Maybe it could be bundled with the request here which is kinda related:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40537.0

John

• Upvote 1

What's an example of an app/vm ordering dependency?  The apps on your phone don't have this notion.

Not a hard requirement but Sonarr looks for download clients (NZBGet, Deluge)to available upon startup.  This doesn't cause a true issue...just errors in the logs.  Sonarr eventually finds the accompanying apps when they come online.

A true hard requirement would be Kodi relying on MariaDB as your media libraries will not be present.  I have seen a few times when my Kodi VM was up and running prior to my MariaDB docker (although I though this shouldn't happen).  I guess a better example would be if you had a Kodi VM and a MariaDB VM.

John

• 1 year later...

This is a good idea, esp as we dont have any easy way of linking containers that rely on each other through the unraid webui currently, containers that rely on other containers to be up before they start is a perfect example of why this is needed, either a simple dependancy that looks to ensure a container is up before it starts, or a weighting scheme such that the lower a value the earlier it starts, larger values denote later starting docker containers, something like that perhaps?.

• 2 months later...

While it would be nice to have, there is a plugin (Docker Autostart Manager) that can accomplish this for containers, and also have the starting related to a port being available on such and such IP which if done correctly can force the container to no start until after a certain VM is up and running.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2015 at 3:16 AM, johnodon said:

Not a hard requirement but Sonarr looks for download clients (NZBGet, Deluge)to available upon startup.  This doesn't cause a true issue...just errors in the logs.  Sonarr eventually finds the accompanying apps when they come online.

A true hard requirement would be Kodi relying on MariaDB as your media libraries will not be present.  I have seen a few times when my Kodi VM was up and running prior to my MariaDB docker (although I though this shouldn't happen).  I guess a better example would be if you had a Kodi VM and a MariaDB VM.

John

+1

Also, another example would be having a pfSense VM and since all of your containers have no internet, when the auto-check for update occur on Docker service start, it waits like a minutes or 30 seconds to timeout for each of your containers....Last boot when I had pfSense in a VM was 15 mins (most of that was docker checking for updates, a little was the VM trying to pxe boot (anyone know how to disable pxe booting for SeaBios VMs?))

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to try that plug-in, thanks for making it more known. Seems like it's Docker Only though. Be nice to get it native built into UnRAID.

Just FYI as a good example of prior art where this was been solved before, I always thought this was simple and worked well.

https://virtualizationreview.com/Blogs/Everyday-Virtualization/2012/05/How-To-Set-vSphere-VMs-To-Power-Up-Automatically.aspx