Sudden slow disk speed brings everything to a crawl

Something is happening where if I'm copying a file via ssh, the disk speed will go to a crawl for 5-10 minutes, then speed up again like nothing happened. It also brings down the disk speed of my VMs/docker somehow. If I CTRL-C out of the rsync command I ran, it returns back to normal in a few seconds.

I'm literally just bulk copying files around my disk array, and its usually fine, but is there some way I can find out what's behind this AWESOME slowdown that happens?

Diagnostics missing smart for any of your hdds.

HDDs are connected through RAID card, probably why?

Also says your cache drive is full, so that may be the problem.

I opened another thread for that, it looks like my second drive in the pool either isn't getting used or is showing wrong size info.

I think there were some similar reports a few months ago when people filled up their docker img. In Settings - Docker, what do you have under Docker volume info?

Label: none  uuid: 6ab55325-6270-4669-a887-3da715f2bfc1

Total devices 1 FS bytes used 295.03MiB

devid    1 size 10.00GiB used 3.04GiB path /dev/loop0

btrfs-progs v4.0.1

seems fine

Minor update:

Appears to happen with only 1 cache drive (reformatted) as well. I'm noticing that the next drive in sequence never gets spun up even though the current drive is half full (share is set to high water). Maybe this is where it gets hung up? Though I guess if its just writing to itself (the cache drive) until the mover hits, this doesn't seem likely.

Attempting to have all drives spinning to see if I can replicate.

Update 2:

I just got a "heat warning" for my cache SSD, says its running at 45C. I guess this could be it too?

This SSD used to run 5-6 VMs at one point with no problem so I sort of doubt it unless docker/plugins are doing something weird.

Edit: Nvm it just went back to 27C

Bumping

It appears to occur when I write to the cache/SSD, I was copying some files off an external drive to my array and the slowdown/crawl occured.

BUT, READING from the drive or writing at a low (under 1mb/s) speed seems to not cause it to occur.

Wondering I should format from btrfs to xfs on the cache and see if I get similar results?