Question about Adaptec 1430SA controller detection

I have purchased and installed this controller, but have not hooked up any drives to it yet. Nor do I have any lying around I can test with at the time unfortunately. Is there a way via command line or GUI to see if just the controller has been detected and working without drives attached? I have previously attached this device to another computer, and disabled all types of RAID so it should only be using JBOD format.

do you have any idea what is would be listed as? I don't see anything resembling it...

this the output of that command :

00:00.0 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1                                                                                        fh) Processor Root Complex

00:00.2 IOMMU: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) I/                                                                                        O Memory Management Unit

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Trinit                                                                                        y [Radeon HD 7540D]

00:01.1 Audio device: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Trinity HDMI Audio                                                                                        Controller

00:04.0 PCI bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1f                                                                                        h) Processor Root Port

00:10.0 USB controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH USB XHCI Controll                                                                                        er (rev 09)

00:10.1 USB controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH USB XHCI Controll                                                                                        er (rev 09)

00:11.0 SATA controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH SATA Controller                                                                                        [AHCI mode] (rev 40)

00:12.0 USB controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH USB OHCI Controll                                                                                        er (rev 11)

00:12.2 USB controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH USB EHCI Controll                                                                                        er (rev 11)

00:13.0 USB controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH USB OHCI Controll                                                                                        er (rev 11)

00:13.2 USB controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH USB EHCI Controll                                                                                        er (rev 11)

00:14.0 SMBus: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 16)

00:14.2 Audio device: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH Azalia Controller (                                                                                        rev 01)

00:14.3 ISA bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)

00:14.4 PCI bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH PCI Bridge (rev 40)

00:14.5 USB controller: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] FCH USB OHCI Controll                                                                                        er (rev 11)

00:18.0 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1                                                                                        fh) Processor Function 0

00:18.1 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1                                                                                        fh) Processor Function 1

00:18.2 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1                                                                                        fh) Processor Function 2

00:18.3 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1                                                                                        fh) Processor Function 3

00:18.4 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1                                                                                        fh) Processor Function 4

00:18.5 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h (Models 10h-1                                                                                        fh) Processor Function 5

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Ex                                                                                        press Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

It's not there.  As an addon card, it would show up with a non-zero leading byte, and the only one like that is the Realtek NIC.  I would expect it to be 02:00.0 or similar.  It should say 'SATA RAID bus controller', and the name would either be Adaptec or the maker of the controller chipset on it.

Edit: corrected PCI type from SATA to RAID bus, see this

If you're watching the boot screen (I know you don't have a monitor to do this with) you'll see it enter the 1430's BIOS and scan for drives.    If none are found, I don't believe it remains enabled, but I'm not certain.    The easiest way to check is to just hook up a monitor .. but if that's not feasible then I'd just connect a drive to it and confirm it shows up.

... it is, however, much easier to do that (and a bunch of other things) if you have a monitor on your server  :)

Not sure where your server is relative to your other PC's, but I have long VGA cables from my servers run to a VGA switch by one of my PCs, and when I need to do anything that I need a display for I simply plug in a USB keyboard and switch the display to that server.

VGA cables can be run up to 100' (although I only needed a couple 25' and one 35' cable [~ $10 at Monoprice].    A little 4-port monitor switch is all I had to add:  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10106&cs_id=1010601&p_id=55&seq=1&format=2

I believe I already flashed the card to this newest BIOS right after I received it. At the time I had another system and I just threw it in, and flashed the newer BIOS, and made sure it was in JBOD mode, and no RAID was enabled in the card's BIOS itself. I'll be getting a monitor over here in the next few days and I'll report back. I really hope this card works as it was reported working through the forums. I spent a good deal of time trying to find the best card for my situation. I'll report back after I have a monitor and am able to see if the card is recognized during boot. There are several LED's on the card itself lit, and like I said previously at one point I was in the BIOS so I know the card was working. I have my fingers crossed anyway  ???

The 1430SA is an "old reliable" SATA adapter that's worked perfectly with UnRAID for years.

I confess, however, that my cards (2 in one system, one in another) are all running on either v4.7 (old, original media server) or v5.0.6 (my "Aux" server) => NOT on v6.  SURELY v6 includes support for this card ... but I haven't personally confirmed that.

Well, I will find out soon enough and let you know  :)  that's kind of why I bought it, because that's what everyone's opinion in the forums was. General opinion was that it worked well. As I don't need any type of crazy read write speeds I was happy getting a sata 2 card, which should be more than adequate for all my media server and general storage purposes. I'll report back when I know. If it's for some reason no longer supported in 6 how difficult is it to add the driver myself? Or is this possibly something that was overlooked and could be re-added if it's indeed confirmed missing from the newer versions ?

The 1430SA is an "old reliable" SATA adapter that's worked perfectly with UnRAID for years.

I confess, however, that my cards (2 in one system, one in another) are all running on either v4.7 (old, original media server) or v5.0.6 (my "Aux" server) => NOT on v6.  SURELY v6 includes support for this card ... but I haven't personally confirmed that.

I am running V6 with this card - no issues - make sure it is upgraded to the latest firmware to allow disks >2.2T.

Thanks for the confirmation ... I was about 99+% sure it wouldn't be an issue, but it's always nice to see confirmation.  If nobody responded today I was going to simply boot one of my servers with a v6 flash drive (with nothing assigned of course) and confirm that it "saw" the drives on the controller okay.

I don't know for SURE, but if I recall correctly Joel's configuration includes a 1430SA ... and I know he just updated to v6 with no problem.    If he noticed this, perhaps he'll confirm that he's using a 1430SA.  [i'll send him a PM and a link to this comment.]

That board is not in the server I just upgraded, so therefore, I cannot answer if it works, or not.

I don't know for SURE, but if I recall correctly Joel's configuration includes a 1430SA ... and I know he just updated to v6 with no problem.    If he noticed this, perhaps he'll confirm that he's using a 1430SA.  [i'll send him a PM and a link to this comment.]

That board is not in the server I just upgraded, so therefore, I cannot answer if it works, or not.

Thanks for responding.  Wasn't sure if you still had an active 1430SA or not, but I knew you'd just upgraded to v6, so if you had the board you'd have certainly known the answer  :)

Fortunately bonienl confirmed that it works fine with v6 a few posts above.

• 2 months later...

Have 2 of them running with the latest BIOS 2507 in my Server under v6.1.2 - no issues so far.

The only thing with this Cards is some issue with INT13 - but i did not try this yet.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3877.msg151434#msg151434

EDIT: Deactivate the BIOS "on both" Controllers will fix the INT13-issue because its only related to the Boot-Option, which is not needed für unRAID  ;)