ESXI: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

Has anyone who is still have issues with resets had a chance to test with the new version 6.1?  I would but I have to shut my entire VM server down to remove the passthrough configuration and then have to shut it down again to configure it again if it doesn't fix the issue.

I'm doubting the issue is resolves since none of the 6.1RC's seem to fix it but it's worth a shot.

Has anyone who is still have issues with resets had a chance to test with the new version 6.1?  I would but I have to shut my entire VM server down to remove the passthrough configuration and then have to shut it down again to configure it again if it doesn't fix the issue.

I'm doubting the issue is resolves since none of the 6.1RC's seem to fix it but it's worth a shot.

ok, i just tested it on my test server (X9SCM-iif board) with 6.1 final and no change for me - issue are still there..

for me, a quickest workaround is to add second USB device - flash or UPS and then no issues..

ok, i just tested it on my test server (X9SCM-iif board) with 6.1 final and no change for me - issue are still there..

for me, a quickest workaround is to add second USB device - flash or UPS and then no issues..

Interesting.  So if you don't passthrough your USB controller and just add a second USB device in addition to the boot flash to your VM the issue is resolved?  How exactly would one use a UPS (or even want to) with a VM guest?  Wouldn't you want the UPS to shut down the entire host?

You can let the gust SSH into the host (passwordless with keys) and shutdown the whole thing.

Is there any documentation on how this is done with regard to UPS's attached to unRAID guest VMs?

i'm connected my APC unit to Windows VM, but this is similar to unRAID i think.

first, i'm telneting to unRAID and power it down with sbin/powerdown

then wait some time (1minute for me) and ssh to esxi host and excute "/sbin/shutdown.sh && /sbin/poweroff"

look at unRAID /etc/apcupsd/doshutdown

you can ssh from here to esxi host and execute command above..

if you have VMWare tools installed on unRAID, esxi will do clean shutdown i think.. (not tried yet..)

You can let the gust SSH into the host (passwordless with keys) and shutdown the whole thing.

Is there any documentation on how this is done with regard to UPS's attached to unRAID guest VMs?

i'm connected my APC unit to Windows VM, but this is similar to unRAID i think.

first, i'm telneting to unRAID and power it down with sbin/powerdown

then wait some time (1minute for me) and ssh to esxi host and excute "/sbin/shutdown.sh && /sbin/poweroff"

look at unRAID /etc/apcupsd/doshutdown

you can ssh from here to esxi host and execute command above..

if you have VMWare tools installed on unRAID, esxi will do clean shutdown i think.. (not tried yet..)

I do have VMWare tools installed.  I'll have to look into doing this when I get my new UPS next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this for 6.1.2

For fun i added a usb DAC i had laying around and it "solves" the issue, no more slow downs.

Looks like any usb device will do.  :o

I guess this is why i have never seen this issue. I have always had a UPS plugged in, in addition to my flash boot.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed this on my server last night. Flash drive had over 2 million read hits on it over the last ten days.. ugh.

Just upgraded to 6.1.3 and issue is still there.

Has there been any progress on this aside from plugging in a second USB?

i don't think so.. i tried VM with Ubuntu 15.10 with kernel 4.2 on my test server last weekend, and issue are still there.

I noticed this on my server last night. Flash drive had over 2 million read hits on it over the last ten days.. ugh.

Just upgraded to 6.1.3 and issue is still there.

Has there been any progress on this aside from plugging in a second USB?

Unraid under ESXi isn't supported.  I run it though.  This is apparently a kernel issue, so until its fixed and unraid moves to that kernel you're out of luck unless you use one of the previously mentioned work arounds.

I tested adding my (APC)UPS to UnRaid(6.1.3) and booted from usb flash and continue to get the resets/excessive reads. Not sure what I'm doing different from the people that have this working. Do I need to enable the UPS setting in UnRaid before rebooting?  I couldn't even complete the boot process with this setup and had to re-plug in the flash drive to see it in ESXI again.

Could anyone that has the (2) usb setup working verify there are no errors in :{ESXI IP}/host/vmkernel.log ?

I kept seeing "ALERT: URB timed out - USB device may not respond"

Going Back to the card reader for now!

Does anyone know where/how to report this trbl to the linux kernel people?

I tested adding my (APC)UPS to UnRaid(6.1.3) and booted from usb flash and continue to get the resets/excessive reads. Not sure what I'm doing different from the people that have this working. Do I need to enable the UPS setting in UnRaid before rebooting?  I couldn't even complete the boot process with this setup and had to re-plug in the flash drive to see it in ESXI again.

Could anyone that has the (2) usb setup working verify there are no errors in :{ESXI IP}/host/vmkernel.log ?

I kept seeing "ALERT: URB timed out - USB device may not respond"

Going Back to the card reader for now!

Does anyone know where/how to report this trbl to the linux kernel people?

when i tested with APC UPS, you must start UPS deamon, to "mount" this USB :)

according to your USB timeouts - i have never seen this message on my servers..

• 2 weeks later...

I also encountered this.

I run ESXi 5.5 and boot my unRAID VM via Plop and the unRAID USB stick. After seeing all the errors and reading this thread I erased a second usb stick and added it to my unRAID VM. The errors went away.

Now I just deployed the CyberPower Virtual Appliance to the same ESXi server that my unRAID VM runs on and assigned the UPS usb to the appliance vm. I then removed the second USB stick from the unRAID VM and the errors did not return. As long as I have more than one USB device added to VMs on my ESXi server, I'm good.

In the end, I intended to connect my server to my UPS soon anyway so there is no downside to this workaround for me.

I can confirm also that just simply formatting a spare usb flash drive I had laying around and adding that USB device to my unRAID VM stopped the error messages for me.  I will also note that I have the unassigned devices plugin installed and the 2nd flash drives shows up under there (though I don't have it mounted).

I can confirm also that just simply formatting a spare usb flash drive I had laying around and adding that USB device to my unRAID VM stopped the error messages for me.

Same for me as well.

I have a Sandisk Ultra Fit and a Sandisk Cruzer fit both allocated to unRAID.

What people may be unaware of is ESX also reports 'Reset high speed USB' messages in /var/log/vmkernel.log until the messages stop in unRAID.

I can confirm also that just simply formatting a spare usb flash drive I had laying around and adding that USB device to my unRAID VM stopped the error messages for me.

Same for me as well.

What people may be unaware of is ESX also reports 'Reset high speed USB' messages in /var/log/vmkernel.log until the messages stop in unRAID.

Correct, by the way I have those exact 2 USB's (One cruzer fit, one ultra fit) in my server as well :D.

Same for me as well.

Correct, by the way I have those exact 2 USB's (One cruzer fit, one ultra fit) in my server as well :D .

I wonder if putting the flash on a usb hub would have the same effect.

Same for me as well.

Correct, by the way I have those exact 2 USB's (One cruzer fit, one ultra fit) in my server as well :D .

I wonder if putting the flash on a usb hub would have the same effect.

No dice so far for me, putting a single flash drive on a USB hub did not stop the continuous messages.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm also that just simply formatting a spare usb flash drive I had laying around and adding that USB device to my unRAID VM stopped the error messages for me.  I will also note that I have the unassigned devices plugin installed and the 2nd flash drives shows up under there (though I don't have it mounted).

I must be missing something as I have two USB devices passed through to my unraid 6.1.3 (booted via plop) running on ESXi 5.5.0.3116895.

The log file is full of errors from both usb drives :-(

Nov 2 18:04:25 unraid kernel: usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci

Nov 2 18:04:26 unraid kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdj] 7975296 512-byte logical blocks: (4.08 GB/3.80 GiB)

Nov 2 18:05:01 unraid kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

Nov 2 18:05:01 unraid kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdi] 30529536 512-byte logical blocks: (15.6 GB/14.5 GiB)

I must be missing something as I have two USB devices passed through to my unraid 6.1.3 (booted via plop) running on ESXi 5.5.0.3116895.

The log file is full of errors from both usb drives :-(

Nov 2 18:04:25 unraid kernel: usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci

Nov 2 18:04:26 unraid kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdj] 7975296 512-byte logical blocks: (4.08 GB/3.80 GiB)

Nov 2 18:05:01 unraid kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

Nov 2 18:05:01 unraid kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdi] 30529536 512-byte logical blocks: (15.6 GB/14.5 GiB)

I can't recall anyone mentioning plop with the dual USB solution.  You might want to try the vmdk method to see if it makes a difference.

I boot from plop and was seeing the errors until I attached a second (blank) USB stick to my unraid VM. Note: I am not passing through a USB controller, only assigning USB devices to the VM. After getting a UPS and configuring a VM for it (with USB cable connected) I was able to remove the second USB from my unraid VM and the errors have not returned.