ESXI: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

I boot from plop and was seeing the errors until I attached a second (blank) USB stick to my unraid VM. Note: I am not passing through a USB controller, only assigning USB devices to the VM. After getting a UPS and configuring a VM for it (with USB cable connected) I was able to remove the second USB from my unraid VM and the errors have not returned.

Poor choice of words on my part;  a USB controller was added to the vm and then the 2 USB flash drives were attached.

I boot from plop and was seeing the errors until I attached a second (blank) USB stick to my unraid VM. Note: I am not passing through a USB controller, only assigning USB devices to the VM. After getting a UPS and configuring a VM for it (with USB cable connected) I was able to remove the second USB from my unraid VM and the errors have not returned.

Poor choice of words on my part;  a USB controller was added to the vm and then the 2 USB flash drives were attached.

Weird. Not sure what might be different then.

have you tried to mount this stick with unassigned devices? when i tested this with USB UPS, UPS daemon was loaded first to stop error messages..

have you tried to mount this stick with unassigned devices? when i tested this with USB UPS, UPS daemon was loaded first to stop error messages..

I've tried with the extra USB device both mounted & umounted. The errors continue in the log file.

I currently have it attached and mounted in a separate vm (to test the scenario above with a UPS attached vaia USB to a separate vm). Errors continue in the log file.

I've tried with the extra USB device both mounted & umounted. The errors continue in the log file.

I currently have it attached and mounted in a separate vm (to test the scenario above with a UPS attached vaia USB to a separate vm). Errors continue in the log file.

not sure i'm understand you correctly, but one of tests it worked for me was add UPS USB device and setup apcupsd in unRAID.. - then you have two USB devices - unRAID USB key and UPS USB.

can you try different USB ports? and please post some info about your hardware, at least mobo..

one more thing to give it a try - boot from VMDK.

Fixed my error!

VM -> Edit Settings -> Options -> Guest Operating System

I had this originally set to "CentOS 4/5/6/7 (64 bit)" [force of habit - we have many vms of this type at work]

Shutdown vm, modified to "Ubuntu Linux (64 bit)", booted and the errors disappeared.

This is booting via plop, first USB device attached is the unraid USB flash drive, second USB device is blank (& unmounted).

Fixed my error!

VM -> Edit Settings -> Options -> Guest Operating System

I had this originally set to "CentOS 4/5/6/7 (64 bit)" [force of habit - we have many vms of this type at work]

Shutdown vm, modified to "Ubuntu Linux (64 bit)", booted and the errors disappeared.

This is booting via plop, first USB device attached is the unraid USB flash drive, second USB device is blank (& unmounted).

Congrats. For anyone else who might come across this, the guide I followed had me set my OS to FreeBSD 32-bit (dual-usb fix works just fine) so you have that option too.

After I went through the hassle of upgrading, on the first boot which was successful, I noticed the slowness, and I came to know that it's not supported with unRAID as a virtual machine, the topic of this thread.

This is really disappointing from the unRAID team, how can they not support this out of the box in the first release? having unRAID as a VM is very common nowadays.

I had to rollback, deleted all the content of the USB (v6.1.3 content) and copied back my 5.0.5 content and brought my unRAID back up for the time being.

After I went through the hassle of upgrading, on the first boot which was successful, I noticed the slowness, and I came to know that it's not supported with unRAID as a virtual machine, the topic of this thread.

This is really disappointing from the unRAID team, how can they not support this out of the box in the first release? having unRAID as a VM is very common nowadays.

I had to rollback, deleted all the content of the USB (v6.1.3 content) and copied back my 5.0.5 content and brought my unRAID back up for the time being.

LimeTech has stated they only support unRAID running directly on the hardware.

LimeTech has stated they only support unRAID running directly on the hardware.

People have posted work arounds for the issue on this thread.  I recommend trying one of those.

I tried some of the workarounds mentioned, none of them worked.

Can someone list all the workarounds?

please describe, what you tried ? and give us some info about your setup..

Ok, I tried the workaround mentioned (using two USBs) with plop, no go.

About the other recommendation of passing thru the USB controller, I can't do that, because i'm using a USB as my ESXi OS.  I was having a difficulty distinguishing between all the listed controllers in the ESXi passthru list.  Therefore, I didn't try it, didn't want to risk it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I can also confirm that this has gone away.

I used to do the usb controller passthrough fix, but upgraded my MoBo and went back to normal usb passtrhough.

On 6.1.6 I had the error occur. I then upgraded to 6.1.9 and the error went away.

- NinthWalker

Ok, just to confirm, unRAID as VM is supported with 6.1.9, without any workarounds. Correct?