ESXI: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

Alright I put ESXi 5.5 back on my server (after doing some Hyper-V testing) and installed version 6b15.  I don't get the repeating reset high-speed USB device errors.  I do have it show up in my vmkernel.log once when I first start up unRAID but nothing after that shows up in vmkernel.log or in the unRAID syslog.  Also, now the unRAID Webgui is SOOOOOOO much faster and more responsive.

Looks like I'll be sticking with 6b15 for a while as well.

Alright I put ESXi 5.5 back on my server (after doing some Hyper-V testing) and installed version 6b15.  I don't get the repeating reset high-speed USB device errors.  I do have it show up in my vmkernel.log once when I first start up unRAID but nothing after that shows up in vmkernel.log or in the unRAID syslog.  Also, now the unRAID Webgui is SOOOOOOO much faster and more responsive.

Looks like I'll be sticking with 6b15 for a while as well.

bummer.. has to be a kernel change that is messing with us.

Not using ESXi, but reading through this I wonder if this really is a USB power-draw issue (or perhaps a less tolerant kernel that THINKs there's an issue).  Are you using USB 2 or USB 3 flash drives?    ... and are they plugged into v2 or v3 ports?

for me it's USB2. cos X9SCM nor x8DTG have no USB3 ports..

Not using ESXi, but reading through this I wonder if this really is a USB power-draw issue (or perhaps a less tolerant kernel that THINKs there's an issue).  Are you using USB 2 or USB 3 flash drives?    ... and are they plugged into v2 or v3 ports?

But is the flash drive a USB2 or USB3 flash drive?    A USB3 unit will draw more power than a USB2 unit, even if it's used in a USB2 port.

But is the flash drive a USB2 or USB3 flash drive?    A USB3 unit will draw more power than a USB2 unit, even if it's used in a USB2 port.

i have Sundisk SDCZ50-008G on my test server - i think it's USB2 flash..

sorry, for unRAID i use Lexar JumpDrive TwistTurn - USB flash drive - 8 GB - USB 2.0 - blue

I just confirmed that I get the same errors with both my USB 2.0 (plugged into a USB 2.0 port) and USB 3.0 (pluged into USB 3.0 port) San Disk Cruzer Fit drives with the final release version of 6.0.  And with the errors comes the extreme unresponsiveness of the unRAID webgui.  So I can confirm it is not isolated to USB 2.0 or 3.0.

unRaid doesn't do anything special with USB subsystem, meaning this is probably a generic issue with all linux releases with a newer kernel, which means there are probably other posts out in the interwebs from folks talking about this exact issue.

If someone 'googles' this problem, find the solution and tells me what I have to do to fix in the kernel, then I'll do it.  Send the solution to [email protected].

unRaid doesn't do anything special with USB subsystem, meaning this is probably a generic issue with all linux releases with a newer kernel, which means there are probably other posts out in the interwebs from folks talking about this exact issue.

If someone 'googles' this problem, find the solution and tells me what I have to do to fix in the kernel, then I'll do it.  Send the solution to [email protected].

Hi,

i googled this with various combinations with no luck - i just think, there are not much Linux distros with kernel version 4 now.. for example, Ubuntu 15.10 (will arrive on October i think) will be the first Ubuntu release with kernel 4.

so, i will try to setup ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 4 and see whats happening..

Hi,

i googled this with various combinations with no luck - i just think, there are not much Linux distros with kernel version 4 now.. for example, Ubuntu 15.10 (will arrive on October i think) will be the first Ubuntu release with kernel 4.

so, i will try to setup ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 4 and see whats happening..

quoting myself, just for reference:

i setup my ubuntu 14.04 VM yesterday, tried various combinations with kernels 3.13, 3.19, 4.04 and all of them sooner or latter had USB errors..

tried Win8 too, worked, Esxi's vmkernel.log has no USB errors..

so, it looks like something weird for me with this..

Same issue here, constant resets. I've tried USB 3.0, USB 2.0 sticks and nothing works to get around it. VMware ESXi v5.5, UnRaid v6 Final. I've tested bare metal in 3 different machines, they all boot fine.

I'm going to an experiment with trying to direct pass thru a PCIe 1x USB 3.0 add-in card and see if POLP can boot from it.

Dan -

Can you check for the errors again-just wondering if the took a while b4 starting again.(I see them on 5.5+6)

If still no errors, can you tell me more of your config?

1.) Are you booting ESXI from USB or a drive?

2.) If USB, Where is it attached(which usb header#?)

3.) Which card reader are you using?

4.) Is Unraid booting from PLOP or VMDK?

5.) What version Unraid? 6.0 Final?

also, the errors you were seeing-were they in ESXI 6 and came clear, Or they cleared when you went to ESXI 6 from 5.x? Did you change anything else when you went to ESXI 6?

Thanks

-Dave

Dan -

Can you check for the errors again-just wondering if the took a while b4 starting again.(I see them on 5.5+6)

also, the errors you were seeing-were they in ESXI 6 and came clear, Or they cleared when you went to ESXI 6 from 5.x? Did you change anything else when you went to ESXI 6?

Thanks

-Dave

Dave,

I haven't seen errors in the last week.

1. Boot ESXI from USB

2. I use the USB header on the MB

3. Reader Kingston FCR HS3

4. vmdk boot

5. 6.0 final

Cannot say when errors were cleared as I did not really followed it.

Dan

Dan -

Thanks

-Dave

Dave,

1. Boot ESXI from USB

4. vmdk boot

5. 6.0 final

Dan

USB Header (which would be pins on the motherboard, perhaps with a cable attached going to ports on a case), or USB Slot, which would be a USB port on the motherboard or USB.  Also what speed was the header/port (usb2/3).  I have one of these, or a very similar model (looks the same).  So I can test it.

Dan -

Thanks

-Dave

Dave,

1. Boot ESXI from USB

4. vmdk boot

5. 6.0 final

Dan

USB Header (which would be pins on the motherboard, perhaps with a cable attached going to ports on a case), or USB Slot, which would be a USB port on the motherboard or USB.  Also what speed was the header/port (usb2/3).  I have one of these, or a very similar model (looks the same).  So I can test it.

X9SCM has USB2 only.

Dan -

Thanks

-Dave

Dave,

1. Boot ESXI from USB

4. vmdk boot

5. 6.0 final

Dan

X9SCM has USB2 only.

Sorry to bother you again (I'm remote to where the install is so I want to make sure I have everything I need).  Do you have a USB device plugged into the card reader, or something like an SD/MicroSD card?

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

microSD

Thanks a lot Dan, much appreciated!  Will look into it shortly.  Off to search for a microsd card....

I just used the same card reader with a generic microsd (32GB was all I had on hand).  20 minutes in, no more reset messages, whereas I was getting them about 40 seconds after booting, and then every 30 or so seconds.

Running esxi 6, passing through the usb device, USB connected to a usb 2.0 port (wire from mobo header).

microSD

Thanks a lot Dan, much appreciated!  Will look into it shortly.  Off to search for a microsd card....

I just used the same card reader with a generic microsd (32GB was all I had on hand).  20 minutes in, no more reset messages, whereas I was getting them about 40 seconds after booting, and then every 30 or so seconds.

Running esxi 6, passing through the usb device, USB connected to a usb 2.0 port (wire from mobo header).

Hi, can you show us a model of the MicroSD card reader?

http://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Memory-Card-Reader-FCR-HS3/dp/B005ES0YYA

That's what I'm using, I ordered a second for further testing, but the one I bought works properly, and was authenticated via the automated process unRAID is now using.

ok, thanks for the info..

so you are using reader with flash card(which one? ) and if you have paid licence, then you must transfer your key?

I'm using a generic 32GB microsd card, and I transferred my license from a USB flash drive to the key reader via the unRAID web gui.