ESXI: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

I have unRAID 6.1.9 running on an ESXi 5.0 currently.

unRAID as a VM?

Seems likely given the subforum it's in and that it's referring to ESXI.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yep.  Been running unRAID as a VM on ESXi since I was using 5.0 betas.  Haven't tried the unRAID beta's yet but I wouldn't expect any problems as long as the VMWare tools have been compiled for the linux kernel.

I just tested  the latest stable-6.1.9 and 6.2b21 without either workaround and still see the errors.

I can use 6.1.9 (via Plop) if i have my usb UPS plugged in or if I use my card reader.

6.2b21 did not work with the 2 usb workaround (PLOP). (haven't tested with card-reader yet.)

If I boot either version with just Unraid usb i see the errors and ESXI stops seeing the flash drive until i physically remove the flash drive and plug back in.

I am currently running ESXI 6.0.0 3380124.

If anyone that had this problem and is now running error free without either workaround(2 USB/card-reader) could you please list your setup along with ESXI build+Unraid version!

Thanks

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested  the latest stable-6.1.9 and 6.2b21 without either workaround and still see the errors.

I can use 6.1.9 (via Plop) if i have my usb UPS plugged in or if I use my card reader.

6.2b21 did not work with the 2 usb workaround (PLOP). (haven't tested with card-reader yet.)

If I boot either version with just Unraid usb i see the errors and ESXI stops seeing the flash drive until i physically remove the flash drive and plug back in.

I am currently running ESXI 6.0.0 3380124.

If anyone that had this problem and is now running error free without either workaround(2 USB/card-reader) could you please list your setup along with ESXI build+Unraid version!

Thanks

-Dave

hi, i just upgraded my test server from 6.1.3 to 6.1.9 and my system are running about an hour without this issue. i'm on esxi ESXi-5.5.0-20140902001-standard.

i plugged in my UPS too, then removed it from unRAID VM, still no issue anymore..

• 2 months later...

hi, i just upgraded my test server from 6.1.3 to 6.1.9 and my system are running about an hour without this issue. i'm on esxi ESXi-5.5.0-20140902001-standard.

i plugged in my UPS too, then removed it from unRAID VM, still no issue anymore..

Hi, i just upgraded my test server from 6.1.9 to 6.2RC1 and this issue is back again :( no changes on test server hardware/host software..

and looks like workaround with second USB/UPS on USB is still working.

Fixed my error!

VM -> Edit Settings -> Options -> Guest Operating System

I had this originally set to "CentOS 4/5/6/7 (64 bit)" [force of habit - we have many vms of this type at work]

Shutdown vm, modified to "Ubuntu Linux (64 bit)", booted and the errors disappeared.

This is booting via plop, first USB device attached is the unraid USB flash drive, second USB device is blank (& unmounted).

This gem was hidden a few pages back.  I had "reset high-speed" errors with 6.1.9 and 6.2 RC1, simply creating a new VM with Ubuntu Linux (x64) compatibility fixed my issue.

(I use PLOP and Host USB device passthrough)

Hi, i just upgraded my test server from 6.1.9 to 6.2RC1 and this issue is back again :( no changes on test server hardware/host software..

and looks like workaround with second USB/UPS on USB is still working.

I upgraded my backup server from 6.2b23 to 6.2RC1 last night and I haven't gotten any USB reset errors.  Will probably give it a few more days before I upgrade my main.

Running ESXi 6.0 U2.

Fixed my error!

VM -> Edit Settings -> Options -> Guest Operating System

I had this originally set to "CentOS 4/5/6/7 (64 bit)" [force of habit - we have many vms of this type at work]

Shutdown vm, modified to "Ubuntu Linux (64 bit)", booted and the errors disappeared.

This is booting via plop, first USB device attached is the unraid USB flash drive, second USB device is blank (& unmounted).

This gem was hidden a few pages back.  I had "reset high-speed" errors with 6.1.9 and 6.2 RC1, simply creating a new VM with Ubuntu Linux (x64) compatibility fixed my issue.

(I use PLOP and Host USB device passthrough)

Hi, tested some more combinations with no luck:

- changed Guest Operating System to "Ubuntu Linux (64 bit)", tried some other linux x64 with no luck

- added second USB controller, still no luck

- created new VM from scratch and used PLOP, still no luck..

looks like it's something hardware dependent.. as i wrote, with 6.1.9 no usb resets. this resets was on 6.0/6.1 early versions too..

• 2 months later...

I'm having this issue as well after upgrading from 6.1.9 final to 6.2 final.  I never had the issue with 6.1.9.

I tried changing the guest OS from 'Other Linux (64-bit)' to 'Ubuntu Linux (64-bit)' but it's still occurring.

i'm still in the same boat with you - just wait for unRAID version upgrades with kernel changes.. for me early 6.1.x versions had issue, but it was gone on 6.1.9 if i remember correctly... 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone made any discoveries? I'm presuming I'll need to revert back to 6.1.9...

you can use one of the workarounds mentioned early on this thread.. for example, attach second usb drive or your UPS usb cable(in this case you should start apcupsd).. 

both worked for me on 6.1.x early releases.. i had not tested how this work with 6.2, but you can try :)

• 4 weeks later...

I upgrade from unRAID 5.0.4 to 6.1.7 back in January with no issues what so ever.  In fact the system has been rock solid for the last 10 months.  The last few weeks I have tried to upgrade to 6.2.1, 6.2.2, and 6.2.3, but the WEB GUI is extremely slow to the point of being unusable.  With 6.2.1 or 6.2.3 it typically takes 2 to 3 minutes for one of the unRAID menu pages to refresh (Main, Plugins, Stats, Tools, etc.).

I was getting the “usb 1-1: reset” error so I tried adding a second USB to my 6.2.3 configuration as others have tried.  It no longer has the “usb 1-1:reset” errors, but the WEB GUI is still extremely slow to the point of being unusable.

Current setup:

Motherboard - SuperMicro X9SCM-F

ESXi version 6.0.0 - build 4510822

unRAID boots off a VMDK drive

Guest Operating System setting in ESXi – I have tried both Ubuntu Linux (32-bit) and (64-bit)

I am attaching the log file that was collected with 2 USB sticks configured for the VM.  It is not showing the “usb 1-1: reset” error, but the system is still unusable.

20161103_-_UnRAID_6.2.3_boot_log_very_slow_w_2_USBs.txt

The only way I was ever able to work around this was by using a USB add-in card and passing it thru to the UnRaid VM. I since gave that up long ago and just went to running UnRaid on bare metal and then using VMs inside of it. The docker functionality and VM support of UnRaid's current releases has removed 80% of why I ever wanted VMware in the first place. Life is much better, I don't miss the other 20% I'm missing not having VMware anymore.

I upgrade from unRAID 5.0.4 to 6.1.7 back in January with no issues what so ever.  In fact the system has been rock solid for the last 10 months.  The last few weeks I have tried to upgrade to 6.2.1, 6.2.2, and 6.2.3, but the WEB GUI is extremely slow to the point of being unusable.  With 6.2.1 or 6.2.3 it typically takes 2 to 3 minutes for one of the unRAID menu pages to refresh (Main, Plugins, Stats, Tools, etc.).

I was getting the “usb 1-1: reset” error so I tried adding a second USB to my 6.2.3 configuration as others have tried.  It no longer has the “usb 1-1:reset” errors, but the WEB GUI is still extremely slow to the point of being unusable.

Current setup:

Motherboard - SuperMicro X9SCM-F

ESXi version 6.0.0 - build 4510822

unRAID boots off a VMDK drive

Guest Operating System setting in ESXi – I have tried both Ubuntu Linux (32-bit) and (64-bit)

I am attaching the log file that was collected with 2 USB sticks configured for the VM.  It is not showing the “usb 1-1: reset” error, but the system is still unusable.

did you mount this second usb with unassigned devices plugin for example?

maybe that will make some changes...

The only way I was ever able to work around this was by using a USB add-in card and passing it thru to the UnRaid VM. I since gave that up long ago and just went to running UnRaid on bare metal and then using VMs inside of it. The docker functionality and VM support of UnRaid's current releases has removed 80% of why I ever wanted VMware in the first place. Life is much better, I don't miss the other 20% I'm missing not having VMware anymore.

Lack of reliable snapshot support is the dealbreaker for me.

As some others have mentioned, the only way I got it working on 6.2 was to pass-through a second USB controller.  You can pick one up fairly cheap (well worth it get rid of the headache if you ask me  ;) ).

Can you provide a link or brand and model number for the the second USB controller you have working in your system?

I have been using : www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZEA2S in my ESXI box.

its a little pricey but it lets each usb port to be assigned separately to different vm's.

you can get the cheaper version, but all the ports get passed to 1 vm.

I'm still on 6.1.9, hope to test the latest versions in the next week or two.

I cant usb boot with this setup(guessing a driver could be added) so I am using VMDK and just

put the "UNRAID" usb in the port that i passed thru.

As some others have mentioned, the only way I got it working on 6.2 was to pass-through a second USB controller.  You can pick one up fairly cheap (well worth it get rid of the headache if you ask me  ;) ).

Can you provide a link or brand and model number for the the second USB controller you have working in your system?

My motherboard actually had 2 separate USB controllers so I didn't have to buy an expansion card, but any PICE controller should work - it doesn't even need to be USB 3.0 since the speed difference is small for booting from a flash drive.