ESXI: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

When i was trying to setup the usb card I tried Plop + Plopkexec

and it could never find the usb.  The card is PEXUSB3S44V - Startech

Renesas_uPD72020x chip. It just seemed like there was no driver there for it.

Does anyone have this card/chip working with Plopkexec?

I guess i can give it another try when I update to 6.2.3

I'm not sure what you mean "unassigned devices plugin".  Can you provide additional info on how to configure this?  Attached is an image of the ESXi settings screen for my VM.

your esxi VM configuration looks ok for me.. boot on unRAID and then install unassigned devices plugin(see here for more info: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.0). then you can mount your second usb with this plugin in unRAID.   

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i just tried new esxi 6.5 on my test server, and for me this issue is gone for both unRAID 6.2.4 and 6.3RC5..

i removed my old HP P400 from my test server as well as it won't come up with new esxi, looks like not supported anymore.

can anyone else try this just to confirm this issue is really gone?

i just tried new esxi 6.5 on my test server, and for me this issue is gone for both unRAID 6.2.4 and 6.3RC5..

i removed my old HP P400 from my test server as well as it won't come up with new esxi, looks like not supported anymore.

You had me excited that this was finally fixed.

Unfortunately, clean installed ESXI 6.5  and its giving me all sorts of odd issues (using X9SCM-IIF MB).

cant get unraid to boot-the usb device disappears from the vm(any VM).

The esxi logs (dont think its isolated to unraid) -"dev = usb0105, cmd = 0x8004550f, err = -2: Failure"

and my datastors all get "state in doubt; requested fast path state update" in /host/vmkwarning.log.

oddly my oldest datastor drive doesnt show this error. Seems like a problem with the sata and usb controllers.

So for now I'm going back to esxi 6.0 , but will give 6.5 another try in January when i get free time.

please let me know if anyone gets esxi 6.5 working well on supermicro x9scm board.

thanks.

You had me excited that this was finally fixed.

Unfortunately, clean installed ESXI 6.5  and its giving me all sorts of odd issues (using X9SCM-IIF MB).

cant get unraid to boot-the usb device disappears from the vm(any VM).

The esxi logs (dont think its isolated to unraid) -"dev = usb0105, cmd = 0x8004550f, err = -2: Failure"

and my datastors all get "state in doubt; requested fast path state update" in /host/vmkwarning.log.

oddly my oldest datastor drive doesnt show this error. Seems like a problem with the sata and usb controllers.

So for now I'm going back to esxi 6.0 , but will give 6.5 another try in January when i get free time.

please let me know if anyone gets esxi 6.5 working well on supermicro x9scm board.

thanks.

Hmm. I did a straight upgrade from ESXi 6.0 to 6.5 without any problems.  I still have a USB controller passed through to unRAID so I can't comment on whether or not the issue is fixed, but all of my VMs (including unRAID) work fine.

EDIT - The host is a Supermicro X8DTN

@uldise - I'm not sure why yours works and mine doesnt. do you have the UPS passes thru to the vm also. I know that workaround was working for some. Have you checked your ESXI logs to verify no warnings/errors?

just an update:

When I clean install or upgrade to ESXI 6.5 I was seeing a bunch of errors on my datastors:

state in doubt; requested fast path state update

I got this fixed by disabling the new sata driver -"vmw-ahci".

Once i found it, it was easy to fix following this guide:

So ESXI 6.5 is running ok, but i still see trouble with adding the UnRaid usb:

sample of ESXI log errors:

usbd_setup_device_desc:1987: getting device descriptor at addr 5 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT

cpu6:81845)WARNING: FreeBSDCharRead:1876: Failed to read 9 byte(s) from usb0105 [errno 19]: No such target on adapter

WARNING: usb_non_isoc_callback:1019: transfer error [22]: endpt = 0x81, nframes = 1, timeout = 5000, interval = 0, max_packet_size = 512, max_frame_size = 512: Broken pipe

Any other usb drive works fine, so I started looking at whats on the flash drive that could trigger this.

I put the flash drive in a laptop and deleted the "ldlinux.sys" file.

when i plugged back into the server - the errors stopped.

i added the unraid flash drive into a windows 7 VM, when i ran "makebootable.bat" it re-created the "ldlinux.sys" and the esxi errors started back up.

I renamed the "ldlinux,sys" and the errors stopped.

put the name back and the errors did not start again.

i rebooted the win7 VM and it would not start with the unraid flash attached.

I found the errors i'm seeing in  a ESXI forum and posted there.

if anyone is interested :

Does anyone know what is in the "ldlinux.sys" file or how it works?

@uldise - I'm not sure why yours works and mine doesnt. do you have the UPS passes thru to the vm also. I know that workaround was working for some. Have you checked your ESXI logs to verify no warnings/errors?

i have UPS usb plugged in to host, but not pass thru to unRAID.

looked at esxi logs, nothing obvious.. 

Does anyone know what is in the "ldlinux.sys" file or how it works?

it's part of the syslinux boot loader. see here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/puppy-71/ldlinux-sys-what-does-it-do-942097/

according to this,

"At boot, the computer loads the MBR (/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin). Then the MBR looks for the partition that is marked as active (boot flag). Once found, the volume boot record (VBR) will be executed. In the case of ext2/3/4 and fat12/16/32, the starting sector of ldlinux.sys is hard-coded into the VBR. "

looks like something with your flash as it can't read this sector?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So I'm experiencing the same USB reset issue when I updated to the latest version of Unraid.  It had been running fine for years, and just decided it was time for an upgrade. I never noticed if the USB reset was happening before the upgrade. I'm still getting the reset message and lagging on the entire system every 30-40 seconds, and lots of excess reads on the flash drive.  None of the discussions and workarounds in this thread have been able to solve the problem for me. Server Specs are below.

I've tried adding a second USB device to the guest OS (APC Back-UPS), and the issue persists.  I've also added a second flash drive, which only made the number of PHP warnings increase.  I tried updating the Guest OS type to Ubuntu 64-bit, and every combination of the addition of extra USB devices.  Is it possible that my flash drive might actually be failing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Software:

VMware ESXi Version 5.5.0 (Build 1331820)

Unraid Server Pro Version 6.5.3 (2018-06-12)

Linux Kernel Version 4.14.49

openVMtools_auto plugin Version 2016.03.09

Preclear Disks plugin Version 2018.07.09

Statistics plugin 2017.09.22

Unassigned Devices plugin 2018.06.01a

Hardware:

Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3Ghz LGA 1155 69W

Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 PC3-1066 ECC CL9 (KVR13E9/8I)

IBM SERVERAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller (46M0861) (IT Flashed to LSI 2008)

Lexar JumpDrive Firefly 8GB (Unraid Flash Drive)

Connected to MB via:

StarTech USB A to USB Motherboard 4-Pin Header F/F 2.0 Cable (USBMBADAPT)

Guest OS Setup

Booting with PlopkExec.iso

Guest OS set to FreeBSD (64-bit)

PCI passthrough of SATA controller card

4 CPU cores allocated

2GB memory allocated

USB controller added

USB device added (UNRAID USB Flash Drive)

USB device added (APC Back-UPS)

Log while two USB flash drives are added to the Guest OS. One is the UNRAID flash drive and the other is a generic empty drive (unmounted):

Jul 30 17:09:41 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Jul 30 17:09:47 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 15663104 512-byte logical blocks: (8.02 GB/7.47 GiB)
Jul 30 17:09:47 Tower rc.diskinfo[7270]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.
Jul 30 17:09:47 Tower rc.diskinfo[7270]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant ID_MODEL - assumed 'ID_MODEL' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470
Jul 30 17:09:47 Tower rc.diskinfo[7270]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SERIAL_SHORT - assumed 'SERIAL_SHORT' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470

Edited by Streamline

None of the fixes had really worked well for me. I ended up adding a 4 port usb pcie card:

https://www.amazon.com/Express-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Dedicated-Channels/dp/B00HJZEA2S

but I am still using a VMDK for booting ( I think I tried usb boot and never got it working right.)

This setup works well for what I need. It was a bit expensive, but i can pass each port to a different vm if needed.

They list a 2 port which is cheaper and shld still work fine.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I upgraded to ESXi 6.5u2 and re-registered my unraid vm. But I couldn't boot due to mismatched vm system id/device id. I resolved this by manually editing the vmx file with correct pci passthru id info.

My unraid vm has been running for 4 hours so far without a usb interface reset/refresh! :-)

Edited by guruleenyc
  • 2 years later...

@miicar

You don't say which ESXI version you are on.

if possible, I highly recommend trying to upgrade to the latest 7.x ESXI.

It allows you to direct boot the vm from the Unraid usb. I am also not seeing any

of the usb reset problems I had with 6.x.

if you are staying with 6.x  ESXI, you can try adding a 2nd usb(ups unit?) or what i did 

which was to add a pci usb card and added the usb port from that.