[support] limetech's docker repository

The customisations are stored outside the docker, so you shouldn't lose them should you change the docker you use.

Thanks.

Saw a post that jonp made on the Plex forums. Looks like LT is trying to work out some details with the Plex team regarding PlexPass installation. Hopefully this will all be a non-issue soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently updated my Plex docker using Limetech's Official Repo and have noticed some strange behaviour and was wondering if anyone else has noticed these issues or have any suggestions.

NB.Everything was working perfectly prior to updating.

Following the update I can still scan and update with new metadata for new items but after updating I notice the following:

- TV Show & Movie thumbnails are all blank on Home screen/On deck/Recently added and when browsing individual libraries. However, when I enter a TV Show Season folder I see thumbs for the last couple of episodes (some scanned prior to update)

- New items added to library correctly and can be browsed/watched fine

- Unable to find server using iOS app. Can browse using PlexWeb using the same device but within the app nothing shows up

- Unable to access server settings from any device 'Server settings are unavailable' message displayed

From reading the Plex Forum https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/170436/server-settings-are-unavailable I gather I may need to delete some bundles from the Plug-Ins folder, however, my symptoms don't seem to match those described in the support article https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201119258-Resetting-System-and-Framework-bundles

Has anyone else had these problems and offer any advice?

I have some questions about actually setting up Plex, not about the docker, per se.

Where is a good place to take these questions for help?

1) Why is my appdata folder so HUGE after installing Plex?

2) How can I minimize the size Plex requires?

3) Can something be changed to fill up some other, non-cache location?

4) Why is the size on disk so much larger than the Size of my appdata folder (when doing properties from inside windows)?  i.e. the size shows as 14GB, size on disk is 33GB (and both are still growing after clicking show properties almost 10 minutes ago!)

Thanks

1) Why is my appdata folder so HUGE after installing Plex?

All of the meta data, thumbnails, etc

4) Why is the size on disk so much larger than the Size of my appdata folder (when doing properties from inside windows)?  i.e. the size shows as 14GB, size on disk is 33GB (and both are still growing after clicking show properties almost 10 minutes ago!)

All files have minimum size on disk.  IE: a 1 byte file will actually take up 4K on the disk.  A file exactly 4K bytes will take up 4K space.  A file 4097 bytes (4K + 1) will take up 8K disk space.  Larger default minimum allocation sizes vastly improves the efficiency of the file system, but the tradeoff is the wasted space used by small files.  (also, I'm not 100% sure what minimum allocation size unRaid sets its various file systems to, but its certainly not less than 4K)

When you add up all of those thousands of small files that Plex stores, the difference between the size and size on disk grows).  This affects every single operating system ever created since the beginning of time.

For #2 and #3, I'm not quite sure as I very rarely use Plex.

Hmmm...

Weird that Plex uses SO MUCH space.  JRiver Media Center uses 2.3GB for the same library/media as what I have imported into Plex.  Windows is still counting the data in appdata, and is up to 53.4Gb on disk and 16Gb in size.  What the hell does Plex have/use/store for my media files?  It's already taking 20 TIMES more than JRiver.

I'm amazed people don't complain about this absurdity.

I also just noticed there are almost 3 times as many folders as files.  WTH?!?!

I guess the only way to not have Plex eat the whole cache drive is to set /config to something other than a cache location.

Thanks for the feedback/help.

I only installed Plex to help a friend, so I'm going to be uninstalling it now.  Giving 60GB (and counting) for metadata is LUDICROUS!

Weird that Plex uses SO MUCH space.  JRiver Media Center uses 2.3GB for the same library/media as what I have imported into Plex.  Windows is still counting the data in appdata, and is up to 53.4Gb on disk and 16Gb in size.  What the hell does Plex have/use/store for my media files?  It's already taking 20 TIMES more than JRiver.

There's an adage that's taught in CoSci courses that "memory is cheap"

I only installed Plex to help a friend, so I'm going to be uninstalling it now.  Giving 60GB (and counting) for metadata is LUDICROUS!

That doesn't seem right. I may not have as much media as many, but I do have about 1000 movies, several hundred TV episodes, and several thousand music files in my plex library. My plex appdata folder is just over 3GB.

That doesn't seem right. I may not have as much media as many, but I do have about 1000 movies, several hundred TV episodes, and several thousand music files in my plex library. My plex appdata folder is just over 3GB.

Just for the heck of it, I'm also doing the same properties on the plex folder through windows.  Currently at 56,000 files, size is 2.31 Gig, Size on disk is 55 Gig.

Not that it bothers me, but I am actually curious now where the final tally is going to wind up.  For reference, ~2800 movies, 17000 Episodes, 100000 music files.

A little more investigating, and its actually a windows problem...  I figured this out once Windows told me that size on disk was larger than the entire cache drive...  The bug has existed since at least Win 7  http://superuser.com/questions/747666/under-properties-in-windows-8-1-how-can-size-on-disk-exceed-the-capacity-of-t

What you really want to do to find out the real size on disk is something like this:

cd /mnt/cache/appdata/plexmediaserver
du -a -h

The actual size of the files you can get by:

du --apparent-size -h

There's a total size at the bottom

If you have indexing enabled,  that will take up a HUGE amount of space as it makes "snapshots" of the video that show ( on certain devices ) when you FF or RW the video.

^^^ This. Frankly I consider this feature a must-have. so much so that when it was announced as a Plex Pass only feature a long way back it is what pushed me to buy a lifetime plex pass. I almost consider Plex unusable without it.

But, if you are not of that opinion turning it off saves a ton of space. Or you can do it selectively by not letting Plex do it automatically and then manually triggering an "analysis" for stuff you want index. I still don't know why they don't call it, "generate index" but that is a topic for a different forum.

Can someone please offer some advice on how permissions should be set for Plex config folders, how to check my permissions and then correct them if needed.

From a post on the Plex forums I have been told I have some permission errors (see below)

I can see some permission errors in other log messages in the log and may be there is a permissions issue - you need to check that for all directories below.

/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

Aug 03, 2015 19:24:17 [0x2b7a7bc01700] ERROR - Error opening file '/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/PhotoTranscoder/bd/bd6fef76ab2f479a36eb2084ab42a2c129a44ae4.jpg' - 13

Aug 03, 2015 19:24:17 [0x2b7a7bc01700] ERROR - Failed to open file for streaming: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/PhotoTranscoder/bd/bd6fef76ab2f479a36eb2084ab42a2c129a44ae4.jpg

Error 13 I believe is this error

#define EACCES          13      /* Permission denied */

Can someone please offer some advice on how permissions should be set for Plex config folders, how to check my permissions and then correct them if needed.

Using putty I have logged onto my server and checked folder/file permissions using the ls -l command.

It appears that the official Limetech Plex is setup with owner unraid-plex and group users (unraid-plex:users). However, a couple of folders and files had been changed to nobody:users during the recent update.

To restore permissions I did the following after navigating to the Plex folder:

chown -R unraid-plex:users <folder/file name>
chmod -R 777 <folder/file name>

I hope this is the correct procedure, however, it appears to have fixed some of my issues caused by the last update. I can now access the server settings from other devices, access the server from iOS devices and view thumbnails for content.

Hope this helps anyone else having permissions issues with Plex caused by updates. Can anyone suggest how these permissions may have been broken during the update?

• Squid unpinned this topic