[support] limetech's docker repository

Plex notified me that a manual upgrade is required to get the latest version.  Is this something I need to wait for a docker update to receive?

Sorry, new to dockers.

I think you will need to wait for Limetech to update their docker.

When I updated last time I clicked on 'Check for updates' on the Docker tab, then clicked on the Plex icon and selected 'Update' and unRAID took care of the rest.

Plex notified me that a manual upgrade is required to get the latest version.  Is this something I need to wait for a docker update to receive?

The dockers autoupdate based on what is available to download from the Plex website:

https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

so I would not expect them to autoupdate to a release that was announced in the forums only:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/176124/plex-media-server-transcoder-preview-0-9-12-10

If you want to run this forum-only version, switch to the Linuxserver docker and set the VERSION environment variable to 0.9.12.10.1368-63adf2b

LimeTech's Plex docker doesn't auto-upgrade. I've tried all sorts of things including stop/start.

The LimeTech docker does auto-update, but only to the latest public release.  I recommend reviewing this post:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0

The dockers autoupdate based on what is available to download from the Plex website:

I'm a little confused here.  Plex notified me in the interface - I hadn't visited the forum to find out about an update.  And the archive page you've linked to has version 0.9.12.8, whereas the docker has version 0.9.12.4.

Granted, it does say "Please install manually" and I can click that text do download 0.9.12.8..., but I have no idea what I should do with that file (if anything)...?

I'm a little confused here.  Plex notified me in the interface - I hadn't visited the forum to find out about an update.  And the archive page you've linked to has version 0.9.12.8, whereas the docker has version 0.9.12.4.

Granted, it does say "Please install manually" and I can click that text do download 0.9.12.8..., but I have no idea what I should do with that file (if anything)...?

Just restart your plex docker and it will get the latest version when the docker starts.

Hi All,

I have the latest PLEX docker installed and i am running a RPi2 as a frontend with RASPLEX.

Everything is working well, except randomly the RPi2 stops playing and says with red box in the corner "Media server went away" and the RPi2 loses connection to the PLEX docker. (also the RPi's menu displays just "search") this happens for about 10 seconds and then the menu updates and you can select things.

Now this is a little annoying, but when this happens and the menu comes back you can click on the show you were watch and i starts back up in the same spot. so the wife is not completely losing her mind.....

I dug around in the logs of PLEX docker to find the following

-=-=-=- SNIP -=-=-=-=-=

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d82708700] DEBUG - Request: [192.168.2.109:50046] GET /library/parts/1916/file.mkv (4 live)

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d82708700] DEBUG - Request range: 344223767 to 0

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d82708700] DEBUG - Content-Length of /media/TV Shows/Grand Designs Australia/Season 05/Grand Designs Australia - S05E07 - Williamstown Bluestone Cottage.mkv is 344461549.

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d7c401700] ERROR - Error writing media: 104 - Connection reset by peer

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d7c401700] DEBUG - Completed: [192.168.2.109:50045] GET /library/parts/1916/file.mkv (4 live) 2208ms 3524432 bytes 200

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d83a00700] DEBUG - Request: [192.168.2.109:50020] GET /:/timeline?containerKey=%2fplayQueues%2f125&duration=2952960&guid=com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb%3a%2f%2f196901%2f5%2f7%3flang%3den&key=%2flibrary%2fmetadata%2f2044&playQueueItemID=125&playQueueVersion=1&ratingKey=2044&state=playing&time=2910249 (3 live)

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d83a00700] DEBUG - Client [816e5f12-873a-418d-80ce-fd7c4467107f] reporting timeline state playing, progress of 2910249/2952960ms for guid=com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://196901/5/7?lang=en, ratingKey=2044 url=, key=/library/metadata/2044, containerKey=/playQueues/125, metadataId=2044

Aug 10, 2015 20:02:14 [0x2b3d83a00700] DEBUG - [Now] Device is Plex Home Theater (RasPlex).

-=-=-=-= SNIP -=-=-=-=-

So i know this can be caused by anything, but as i have transitioned to the PLEX docker and this was not happening before i am looking at the PLEX docker first.

RASPLEX is saying the server goes away, so i need to prove that it doesn't before i go to RASPLEX forum to start asking questions. I have no idea were else to get logs to prove /disprove this.

Anyone got any ideas?

I went back to needo due to limetech docker only grabbing public releases

FYI will need to revert back ownership on files to have needo docker work

Needo sets the files permissions incorrectly, use the linuxserver one and it will automatically set the correct permissions

Needo sets the files permissions incorrectly, use the linuxserver one and it will automatically set the correct permissions

This is what's confusing me (pretty average Joe user) - there are several dockers that seemingly do the same thing, with little information to differentiate them (aside from trawling through pages of support).  I picked the Limetech one, thinking it had a kind of "official" feel about it.  I don't particularly need the very latest version (at the moment), but will look into switching - sounds daunting.  Bear with me - still learning about this!

If you don't need the plexpass version I'd probably stick with the limetech one, if you want the plexpass version I'd use the linuxserver one, but bear in mind that I am also part of the linuxserver group (though not part of the docker team).

Switching dockers is very easy though, see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41609.msg394769#msg394769

Great stuff, thank you.  I'm having problems with subtitles in Plex at the moment, so I can wait around :)

So PMS version 0.9.12.8 is the latest public release as of August 7th.  I am restarting the limetech docker however it is not updating ... all it does is remain at 0.9.12.4 ...  I'm confused.

Edit: So deleting the docker and reinstalling made it go to 0.9.12.8 as expected ... not sure what happened there.

So PMS version 0.9.12.8 is the latest public release as of August 7th.  I am restarting the limetech docker however it is not updating ... all it does is remain at 0.9.12.4 ...  I'm confused.

I don't run limetech's docker, but I've looked at the code and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't update.  But you're the second person with this problem, so perhaps there is an issue? 

I'd recommend deleting the Docker and re-adding it.  It won't hurt your data.

Edit: I see you've done that, glad it worked!

I apologise if this has come up earlier but I could not find a definitive answer to this question for Tom (or any of the Limetech staff really) - what owner/user should the official LT Plex Docker use?

According to this thread https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0 it is 99:users, however, on the Plex Forums here http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/987463/#Comment_987463 they say it should be unraid-plex:users.

To further confuse matters, after updating Plex to the most recent public version (9.12.8 ) using the Docker Tab in unRAID, my Preferences.xml is changed to nobody:users (even after I did a chown unraid-plex:users and chmod 777 to this file prior to the update following some permission issues).

I am still trying to get to the bottom of some weird Plex behaviour and want to find out the correct information regarding Plex and updates on unRAID. Thanks

I apologise if this has come up earlier but I could not find a definitive answer to this question for Tom (or any of the Limetech staff really) - what owner/user should the official LT Plex Docker use?

According to this thread https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0 it is 99:users, however, on the Plex Forums here http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/987463/#Comment_987463 they say it should be unraid-plex:users.

To further confuse matters, after updating Plex to the most recent public version (9.12.8 ) using the Docker Tab in unRAID, my Preferences.xml is changed to nobody:users (even after I did a chown unraid-plex:users and chmod 777 to this file prior to the update following some permission issues).

I am still trying to get to the bottom of some weird Plex behaviour and want to find out the correct information regarding Plex and updates on unRAID. Thanks

Some more data points for you...

The unraid-plex user is used by the plex *plugin* that plex provides.  I believe this is user 999.

I don't know why, but the LT and Linuxserver dockers want plex to run as user 99 (nobody) instead of 999 (unraid-plex).  Therefore, every time you start either of those dockers, they will reset the file ownership to user 99.

Note that the LT and Linuxserver dockers install the ubuntu version of Plex, not the unraid plugin that plex provides.  The people helping you out on the plex forums are probably not aware of that nuance.

So this doesn't answer your question of "why", but I can assure you that the ownership changes you are seeing are by design.  This is not the source of your problems.

Hopefully someone else can explain the "why" though, as I would like to understand the reason for the user change as well.

• Squid unpinned this topic