RobJ

Marvell disk controller chipsets and virtualization

85 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am running 6.4 RC15 with the Stardock PEXSAT32 card. I disabled VT-D in the bios but the card still isn't showing in unRaid its self. The card works because if I don't stop it, the card boots the SSD that is connected to it.

I seem to have run into this after upgrading my Microserver Gen 8 from a Celeron G1610T to a Xeon E3-1265L. Everything else seems to be working fine but drives aren't showing on a Marvel 88SE9230 card connected via eSATA to an external port multiplier box. Only thing that changed was the CPU. The G1610T was missing VT-d so finding this thread seemed like a fairly easy fix.

I've turned off VT-d, VT-x, even hyperthreading and turbo boost in the BIOS with no effect. iommu=pt and/or turning off VT-d seems to remove the qc timeout errors etc, but the drives are still not recognised.

lspci reports

# lspci -vvnn -d 1b4b:
07:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller [1b4b:9230] (rev 11) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
        Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller [1b4b:9230]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 32
        NUMA node: 0
        Region 0: I/O ports at 4000 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at 4008 [size=4]
        Region 2: I/O ports at 4010 [size=8]
        Region 3: I/O ports at 4018 [size=4]
        Region 4: I/O ports at 4020 [size=32]
        Region 5: Memory at fbff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at fbf00000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: fee00000  Data: 4092
        Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 512 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <1us, L1 <8us
                        ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 4096 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x2, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <512ns, L1 <64us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1-
                         EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest-
        Capabilities: [e0] SATA HBA v0.0 BAR4 Offset=00000004
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq+ ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP- SDES+ TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap- CGenEn- ChkCap- ChkEn-
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci

Everything had been working fine for some months before the CPU upgrade. I can go back to the old CPU but have limited heatsink compound to chop and change too much right now.

I haven't attempted a Marvell BIOS upgrade - it's a generic no name kind of card so not sure of what card BIOS might work.

Any ideas?

Hmm so after much mucking around (HP server BIOSes take so long to boot), I flashed my controller BIOS to 1065 (was 1041) per this post:

https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/9179-marvell-9230-firmware-updates-and-such/?do=findComment&comment=142560

old version was 

AUTOLOAD VERSION[0x00000000]: 200015
LOADER VERSION[0x0000C000]: 21001004
BIOS VERSION[0x00020000]: 1.0.0.1012
FIRMWARE VERSION[0x00030000]: 2.3.0.1041

programmed version is:

PACKAGE VERSION[0xFFFFFFFF]: 2.3.0.1063
AUTOLOAD VERSION[0x00000000]: 200018
LOADER VERSION[0x0000C000]: 21001008
BIOS VERSION[0x00020000]: 1.0.0.1024
FIRMWARE VERSION[0x00030000]: 2.3.0.1065

There may be issues with it running at only 2.5Gbps instead of 5Gbps on the PCIe bus that I need to look at. My card is an A1 and I just let it automatically pick the firmware to upgrade to.

That in conjunction with disabling VT-d in the BIOS now gives a workable system (and at least means I don't have to swap back to the G1610T which didn't have VT-d anyway).

iommu=pt did not work (nor did adding "intel_iommu=on" in conjunction with it that I found somewhere).

I would like VT-d to work though as that was part of the reason for the Xeon upgrade... So will keep trying.

BTW: This is with the stock unRAID 6.3.5 kernel.

Updating my Marvell firmware fixed the issue for me.

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=download&id=1572&chk=2c7b3aedeb1f577056b779ce8835c1d8&no_html=1&lang=en

This file above worked for my 9123 controller card. I had to make a DOS boot disk then run the Go.bat file with -y so:

C:\go.bat -y

It totally cleared the issue up for me and I can now see my drives.

Does anyone know if installing a card with Marvell 88SE9230 affects sleeping mode?

My first controller broke the sleep mode, which is why I'm looking for a new one

Yes, I know that sleep is not officially supported ;) 

On 1/6/2018 at 2:35 AM, TechFireSide said:

Updating my Marvell firmware fixed the issue for me.

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=download&id=1572&chk=2c7b3aedeb1f577056b779ce8835c1d8&no_html=1&lang=en

This file above worked for my 9123 controller card. I had to make a DOS boot disk then run the Go.bat file with -y so:

C:\go.bat -y

It totally cleared the issue up for me and I can now see my drives.

Do you have the link to the station driver article? The direct download link is blocked.

Thanks.

Hi All,

I am new to UnRaid and just finished my build. I am trying really hard and not at all code friendly. But learning slowly. I have been trying to boot my system and got it up and running but cannot see any disks. I heard about this Marvell chipset issue. So I am hoping you could help me. I really want to use UnRaid. I have installed FreeNas on the machine and it worked great. But don't like FreeNas. I really would like to use Unraid. So I have attached my tower log for some guidance. 

Thank you in advance for your time on this matter. 

tower-diagnostics-20190322-1707.rar

6 hours ago, acozad1 said:

Thank you in advance for your time on this matter. 

Diags don't open, post the generated ZIP next time.

The .rar is fine with something like 7 zip. 

I couldn't see anything obvious apart from the lack of notification in syslog. Yet it appears in lspci. My particular card shows this as an example:

Mar 23 12:06:16 Mars kernel: ata14.00: ATAPI: MARVELL VIRTUAL, , 1.09, max UDMA/66
Mar 23 12:06:18 Mars kernel: scsi 14:0:0:0: Processor         Marvell  Console          1.01 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

31 minutes ago, Shonky said:

The .rar is fine with something like 7 zip. 

Yes, strange it didn't open at home with 7zip, it does at work, regardless no point in raring the diags.

There's a problem identifying the drive connect on this port:

Mar 22 17:01:13 Tower kernel: ata13: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Mar 22 17:01:13 Tower kernel: ata13.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)

Since all 8 Intel SATA ports are free, OP should start by using those.